Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Tolkien Reference
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:08 am 
Though I've had the opportunity to ask Rian most of my questions, one that has particularly bothered me the past two times I've seen the film is:

What's with the Pin talking about Tolkien to Brendan at the beach after he has agreed to hire Brendan? (He says that Tolkien describes things well, he makes you want to be there.) It seems rather random and abrupt. Was there an original inspiration for that part? Was it just general San Clemente angst of everyone would rather be in Lord of the Rings than in San Clemente? :-D

Also in that scene, the Pin is sitting significantly in front of Brendan. Is that just so Brendan can turn around and see Tug without looking at the Pin?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:45 am 
Ass. V.P.

The Tolkien line is basically just the Pin making a very faltering attempt to engage Brendan in a regular conversation.

Their seating arrangement is in keeping with how the Pin always sits - set out in front of everyone. In his den, in the kitchen, in the pinivan... it's a sign of power for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:56 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

that part was HILARIOUS. one of my favorite parts in the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:37 am 
Lapdog

RCJ said: "The Tolkien line is basically just the Pin making a very faltering attempt to engage Brendan in a regular conversation. "

I know it is more than just "basically" that, because of the way it made me feel about the Pin when he said that. It instantly humanized him, made him seem so sad, so remorseful about everything that's happened to him to bring him to this place in his life. Wishes he could disappear into the fantasy of JRRT's world, so he wouldn't have to turn around and see Tug... ever. Maybe it was unconscious on his/your/Lukas' part, but it came thru loud and clear to me and several others who've felt the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:40 am 
Ass. V.P.

Yes, and that too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:30 am 
Lapdog

Definitely a great moment. The golden hour shot with the sad, touching, mundane hilarious dialogue, and the tense arrangement of the three characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:46 am 
Ass. V.P.

It was also the very last shot of principle photography - so when the sun set and I called 'cut,' we popped a bottle of champaign and the whole crew got to celebrate at sunset on the beach. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:48 am 
Lapdog

You're crafty! Well played, director. Well played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:55 am 
Hash Head

I thought it was also kind of to remind the audience that these are just kids. Like they have these very serious conversations but then you are reminded that oh yeah they are high school ageish.

Also don't try to reference that part in your english class... even if your teacher is a film buff and screenwriter... you'll just sound silly... I'd know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:13 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I was curious as to how many takes you had to rush in there before sunset.
That looked like you only had a 20-minute window to get photography finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:30 am 
Ass. V.P.

Less than 20, I think. We got two walks down the beach and maybe three sit downs, but it was all on the fly - directing, starting and stopping on the go, only stopping long enough to re-load the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:48 am 
Hash Head

Quote:
I thought it was also kind of to remind the audience that these are just kids. Like they have these very serious conversations but then you are reminded that oh yeah they are high school ageish.

And in the Pin's case, it makes him even more childish because he's supposed to be "old, like, twenty-six," and the town's biggest bad, and he's wishing he could run away to Middle Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:37 pm 
Upper Crust

That line really worked well. Because when the Pin at the end was shouting "Help Me!" I was ambivilant on whether Brendan should help him or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:44 pm 
Drama Vamp

Tolkien is very much associated with youth, junior high and high school ages...but if the books (and surprisingly the movie) really do have a heavy sense of loss, of the world changing, and not necessarily for the better.

I read a book a few years ago called Tolkien and the Great War, because I had only weeks before happening upon it at a bookstore been thinking how heavily Tolkien's WWI experience influenced his writing, the hopelessness and despair....but the book was terrible. Don't read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:08 pm 
Upper Crust

The thing I saw in that scene was for a character sitting on the beach, looking at a gorgeous sunset, to lamely say, "His descriptions of things are really good," is beyond ironic.