Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:51 pm 
For me it really showed that if he hadn't gotten caught up in this whole drug dealing thing, Pin would still be in the basement with his boys... playing Magic: The Gathering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:54 pm 
Upper Crust

WHOA WHOA I just had a revalation. Ok so the Pin got so obsessed with Tolkein that he decided to become a drug lord so he could earn tons of money to buy tons of LSD. After that all he had to do was read LOTR while tripping AND HE WAS THERE MAN! HE WAS THERE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:12 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

circuitsnake wrote:
WHOA WHOA I just had a revalation. Ok so the Pin got so obsessed with Tolkein that he decided to become a drug lord so he could earn tons of money to buy tons of LSD. After that all he had to do was read LOTR while tripping AND HE WAS THERE MAN! HE WAS THERE!

Maybe he was channeling Gandalf? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:08 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
it was all on the fly - directing, starting and stopping on the go, only stopping long enough to re-load the camera.

...For the whole shoot. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:00 am 
Ass. V.P.

There's a line Laura has in the dusky hallway scene with Brendan: "When he thought his precious, his bricks of whatever it was, when one of them was missing... he scared me." And Nora had to keep doing it over because she kept emphasizing 'precious' as a noun, instead of the jagged end of a fragmented sentence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:53 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Bluezboy8 wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:

Maybe he was channeling Gandalf? :roll:

More like Sauron. Or did he not want to control it all? The drug ring that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:12 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
There's a line Laura has in the dusky hallway scene with Brendan: "When he thought his precious, his bricks of whatever it was, when one of them was missing... he scared me." And Nora had to keep doing it over because she kept emphasizing 'precious' as a noun, instead of the jagged end of a fragmented sentence.

I can see Laura as Gollum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:08 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Quote:
I can see Laura as Gollum

A very pretty Gollum :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:24 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

There's a bit of gollumish obsessive-compulsiveness to Brendan too, don't ya think? But he, like Laura, is also much much cuter than Gollum.

I also thought it was kind of interesting to be reminded of Tolkien at that point. There's such a stark division between good and evil in LOTR (like many fantasy novels). Sauron bad, hobbits good, and that's that. It's definitely a contrast to Brick, where it's possible to sympathize with the "enemy" and even the protagonist makes some morally ambiguous choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:53 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Absolutely, Mr/Ms Midnight. And that's probably exactly the type of moral certitude the Pin woudl crave. At the very least, I like the idea of him escaping into a fantasy world, and thinking that Brendan would relate to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:17 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I think most people would relate to that.... which is maybe why people pick up on the reference in the first place?

Thanks for giving us this forum, by the way. It's rare to come across a movie that inspires so much conversation, and even rarer to get an opportunity to discuss it like this with the people who made it!

Much appreciation,
(Ms) Midnight
(funny - my real name is rather gender-neutral too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:46 am 
Shamus

*raises the dead - again*

I agree that this scene really made The Pin a human character and reminded me sharply that, "Oh, yeah. These guys are all young." The near absence of any adults in the movie (the only two I can recall are the Ass. Principal and The Pin's mom) creates a world of complete immersion.

I think without this one short moment with The Pin and Brendan, the scene where Pin is calling for help would not have been as frightening because he still would have been an abstraction instead of a young man. And I have to admit, it was very scary for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:04 pm 
Fearless Flyer

BuddhaDave wrote:
*raises the dead - again*

I agree that this scene really made The Pin a human character and reminded me sharply that, "Oh, yeah. These guys are all young." The near absence of any adults in the movie (the only two I can recall are the Ass. Principal and The Pin's mom) creates a world of complete immersion.

I think without this one short moment with The Pin and Brendan, the scene where Pin is calling for help would not have been as frightening because he still would have been an abstraction instead of a young man. And I have to admit, it was very scary for me.

Well said. It was a great scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:58 pm 
Drama Vamp

Yeah, you're right Buddha, and I think the scene where the Pin was calling for help took on even more (at least semi-emotional) significance because of the breif connection that he had made with Brendan there on the beach. It's interesting that the Pin and Laura both seem to suddenly feel very welcoming of Brendan's entrance into their lives, once he arrives, even though he himself is still so fixated on Emily. It's as if they've been expecting him, or waiting for someone like him. (As an aside, it seems like everyone in this story is interested in people other than those who are interested in them.)

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:49 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

well there are tons of links to LOTR I mean:
Emilie gets blames for stealing the brick of ... cocaine right
Emilie is in Lost where charlie uses that ... cocaine
and he gets pissed of at the other two hobbits for getting drunk while smoking some nice stuff at Isengard in LOTR, I mean pretty good man

sorry this post sucked!