Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27 28 Next
 Post subject: Re: LOOPER
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:01 am 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Day Glo wrote:
Will Looper feature Aperture technology? Discuss.

In the future syntax will be a thing of the past.

Douglas Adams wrote:
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the history of catering. It has been built on the fragmented remains of… it will be built on the fragmented… that is to say it will have been built by this time, and indeed has been—

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem in becoming your own father or mother that a broad-minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem with changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

To resume:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the history of catering.

It is built on the fragmented remains of an eventually ruined planet which is (wioll haven be) enclosed in a vast time bubble and projected forward in time to the precise moment of the End of the Universe.

This is, many would say, impossible.

In it, guests take (willan on-take) their places at table and eat (willan on-eat) sumptous meals while watching (willing watchen) the whole of creation explode around them.

This, many would say, is equally impossible.

You can arrive (mayan arrivan on-when) for any sitting you like without prior (late fore-when) reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were, when you return to your own time (you can have on-book haventa forewhen presooning returningwenta retrohome).

This is, many would not insist, absolutely impossible.

At the restaurant you can meet and dine with (mayan meetan con with dinan on when) a fascinating cross-section of the entire population of space and time.

This, it can be explained patiently, is also impossible.

You can visit it as many times as you like (mayan on-visit re-onvisiting... and so on - for further tense correction consult Dr. Streetmentioner's book) and be sure of never meeting yourself, becauses of the embarrassment this usually causes.

This, even if the rest were true, which it isn't, is patently impossible, say the doubters.

All you have to do is deposit one penny in a savings account in your own era, and when you arrive at the End of Time the operations of compound interest means that the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for.

This, many claim, is not merely impossible but clearly insane, which is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
Upper Crust

Only 15 months until release, guys!

:?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:19 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:

Hell, Marc will have shot and released a dozen films by then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Day Glo wrote:

Hell, Marc will have shot and released a dozen films by then.

At least one short, maybe two, a mock-up trailer for my miniseries, and three or four music videos, if we stay on schedule :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:16 pm 
Fearless Flyer

THAT'S A LOT OF MONTHS. THAT'LL BE FOUR BUCKS, BABY, YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT?

No but really. That is a long-ass time to wait for my favorite film. Let's see. Most of my fish will probably be dead by then. I could biologically have two babies in that amount of time (not that I wish to.) We'll be in the final stretch of the next presidential vote. People who have less than two years to live won't be around. The world will already have ended twice according to some groups. The new Zelda game will be old news. AND I WILL BE PUSHING 40. And probably still not acting like it.

Oh, Rian, can we please have some pictures, a trailer, some kind of appetizer or foreplay in that amount of time? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:55 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Oh, Rian, can we please have some pictures, a trailer, some kind of appetizer or foreplay in that amount of time? :)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!
i do not permit.
you have no badges.
will spoil your appetite.
go borrow somebody's kid & see how much fun that is ...

... and as always, decaf.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:35 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Honestly, I borrow someone's kid nearly every day, gah. My aunt has been in the hospital for 3 months and my 4 YO cousin has been staying with me. He's a really excellent child but I'm beginning to realize that the whole "toddler" thing might not be for me.

/OTness

Also, I've never drank a coffee. :)

Plus I want my effing favorite film and I will Veruca-Salt out a little bit because it makes me feel better. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:58 pm 
Fearless Flyer

http://all.ronenv.com/post/6509048284

WHILE CUTTING LOOPER. ^_^

I don't know, somehow, in my mind, that makes it seem like it would be sooner. Let me live in my reality, okay? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Let me live in my reality, okay? :)

wouldn't think of having it any other way.

are we there yet?
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Jules, think of it this way: that's another fifteen months to save up for a plane ticket to LA! Everyone's flying out for the premier, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am 
Fearless Flyer

Oh man, I wish that more than many things. But I am so far in dept with college loans and vet bills it's going to take me years to get out from under them!

However, if Looper isn't playing anywhere around where I live, I will make a road trip to the Big City to see it. ^_^

Anyway, is just anyone allowed to show up at the big huge premiers? I thought you had to be invited or something. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:26 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Oh man, I wish that more than many things. But I am so far in dept with college loans and vet bills it's going to take me years to get out from under them!

However, if Looper isn't playing anywhere around where I live, I will make a road trip to the Big City to see it. ^_^

Anyway, is just anyone allowed to show up at the big huge premiers? I thought you had to be invited or something. :)

viewtopic.php?p=53129#p53129

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:46 pm 
Fearless Flyer

OH! ^_^ WOW, that's about the coolest idea ever!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sweet guy, ain't he?
cute, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 am 
The Pin's Mom

JulesKD wrote:

With Bloom, the actual first showing ever (the official premiere) was at a film festival, so (as far as I understand) anyone who got a ticket for that show could go. When it opened "for real" in LA and NYC, a handful of us from the forum all went to the same showing, where Rian was doing a Q&A. 'Twould be nice if a similar situation could work out for Looper :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous 123 24 25 26 27 28 Next