Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
 Post subject: Re: LOOPER
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am 
Upper Crust

That's nothing, down at 2nd and Minna where Baron Davis used to live, the doorbell for his house said "Boom Dizzle".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:11 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I always wondered what happened to old Boom...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:42 am 
Fearless Flyer

maxfrost wrote:
Passed a building on Post Street today that had a bronze plaque near the door that read "Looper Residence." 'Tis true, swear to G*d.

I would have kicked down the damn door. "WHERE IS IT?!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Joe is talking about LOOPER in this interview here!

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/in ... m-looper/2

Then there's Looper. You and Rian seem perfectly matched as an actor and director team and it seems like it's going to be a massive departure from what he's done.

JGL: Yeah, for sure, it is. It's very much him in that it's very stylized, it's very smart, the dialogue is really sharp and fast, but all three of his movies are totally different. Brothers Bloom was a total departure from Brick and Looper is totally different from Brothers Bloom. I don't know, he's got a really eclectic taste in movies and he takes on certain genres and puts his big twist on it.

Yeah, because this is sci-fi…

JGL: Yeah, Brick was a detective movie and Brothers Bloom was a con man movie and this is a time travel movie and it's brilliant man. I think on the one hand it's really smart and profound and beautiful, and on the other hand it's the first time he's had the resources to do a legit, badass, big action movie.

For me I think the big draw to his first two films was the dialogue and the character interaction and if you can take that and match it with an action feature –

JGL: Yeah, and he's got a really great eye for action and if you watch Brick, those action sequences, even though there's no money and we didn't have any cars to flip over or anything, they're really well shot, really well cut; the rhythm to them is excellent. Never do you feel — I don't know, oftentimes I feel like some big action movies — you feel like they're sort of throwing everything at the camera and seeing what sticks, but Rian is very intentional with how he shoots stuff whether it's dialogue or action.

So this time he got to do a much bigger movie, a Bruce Willis movie, but he still applied the same, really cunning filmmaker's eye and ear. And his rhythm to the action is fantastic. I've only seen a rough cut of it, he's still cutting it, but I'm so proud of it. It's a really special movie for me and my life and work.

It seems like it's a film that's going to fit in nicely with the great movement of sci-fi films nowadays, the smarter sci-fi, such as what Nolan explored in Inception and Duncan Jones with Source Code, I don't know if you saw that one…

JGL: Yeah, I liked that movie.

Some of these movies are finally getting back to being science-fiction rather than just alien warfare.

JGL: Yeah, [laughing], right. Exactly. [Rian] is a storyteller and I think that's the difference between like a Chris Nolan, Batman movie and some kind of run-of-the-mill, big Hollywood action movie, is that Chris Nolan is a storyteller. He cares about the characters. He cares about the story being told, what it means, what it's saying and he applies that integrity to a huge action movie and I think Rian couldn't do something that didn't have the kind of dignity that he — it's not in his bones, it wouldn't happen. But he got the chance to do, another thing he loves, which is just a big, fun action movie.

And it seems you've basically become attached to him. You've been in all three of his films.

JGL: Yeah, [laughing], there's the little cameo in Brothers Bloom.

I WANT TO SEE A ROUGH CUT OF IT TOO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 am 
The Pin's Mom

JulesKD wrote:
maxfrost wrote:
Passed a building on Post Street today that had a bronze plaque near the door that read "Looper Residence." 'Tis true, swear to G*d.

I would have kicked down the damn door. "WHERE IS IT?!"

Obviously that's the home of Rian's firstborn son, Looper Johnson. He must have traveled back in time and settled in San Francisco sometime in the late 20th century.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
Obviously that's the home of Rian's firstborn son, Looper Johnson. He must have traveled back in time and settled in San Francisco sometime in the late 20th century.

Holy cow! I'm going over there right after work today and find out! That's reallyreallyreallyreallyreally incred...

Oh, wait...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:28 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

CATHERWOOD'S TIME MACHINE
from The Firesign Theatre's "Nick Danger" radio show

CATHERWOOD

It all began twenty years ago. I was a freshman in college then, although you wouldn't hardly believe it to look at me now. I had
just completed work on my science project, and I invited Nancy down to reveal the secret to her... (lab sounds/ footsteps) (young
Catherwood) Well, this is it, Nancy. How do you like it?

NANCY

So, this is where you've been every night since we got married...

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

Sure is!

NANCY

Oh, Nicky, I thought you were out in the....

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

That's Danny. But don't say it, Nancy, I... I know it's been hard, but I wanted to give you the swellest honeymoon a girl ever had.
We're going to Greece!

NANCY

And swim the English Channel?

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

No, no. To Ancient Greece, where burning Sappho loved and sang and stroked the wine-dark sea, in the temple by the moonlight,
wa da doo dah...

NANCY

What?

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

Don't you see, Nancy? I've built the perfect time machine!

NANCY

Oh, it sounds dangerous!

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

Yes, that's why I'm going to try it out first. Now, when I get into this grandfather clock, you hit me over the head with this bottle of
Champagne, right here, set the dial for a thousand, and put in three dimes. I'll be gone for a thousand years.

NANCY

A thousand! That's longer than anyone's ever been gone before!

YOUNG CATHERWOOD

But to you it will seem only like a minute! Very well, my love. Now, forward into the paaaaaaast! (breaking glass)

NANCY
Gee, I hope he gets back before all this dry ice melts!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Johnson’s forthcoming feature about a group of killers - so-called ‘Loopers’, who off victims sent to them from the future - is extremely black ops. Production is cloaked in secrecy and the director is determined to stay tight-lipped. All of which makes it even more intriguing. TF caught up with Johnson in post-production to prise some information from him…

You’ve described Looper as a mixture of Blade Runner, The Terminator and Witness…What?

The Blade Runner aspect comes from the noir-ish tone of it. The Terminator - the way it uses time travel to set up this impossible situation and then time travel kinda gets out of the way. I don’t want to give too much away, but it takes an unexpected twist, and the Witness connection will be more apparent when people see the movie. Ultimately it’s got, I hope, some very strong characters and a really strong emotional element to it.

Why so secretive?

I admire the extremes JJ Abrams takes towards secrecy. I think the real value is walking into the theater and not knowing what you’re going to get. It’s much more fun to tempt the crowd. But it’s also against my nature - I want to talk about it! It’s taking me a lot of restraint right now. I have a photo-blog [loopermovie.tumblr.com] that’s just pictures of production with no comment on them and it’s been real fun hearing people trying to guess what those picture are showing.

You’re back with your Brick star Joseph Gordon-Levitt…

He’s my favorite actor. There were specific challenges to do with his part that I didn’t know if we could pull off, which I think he really succeeded with - some acting acrobatics that I’m really excited for people to see. We had that bond of trust: I trusted him that he was going to pull this off and he trusted me that I wouldn’t make him look stupid if he tried to pull this thing off.

And how was Bruce Willis?

Awesome. He gives a really dramatic performance in this movie and he is a terrific actor. He just showed up to work and would put it all out on the line.

So will the tone be more Brick or The Brothers Bloom?

It’s very different to those films but it’s much closer to Brick. It’s quite dark, it has dark elements, but it has more of the action element and it is definitely its own piece. There are so many sequels or remakes or prequels out now that if feels good to do something that is its own thing.

—Total Film

^________^

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:02 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I posted a handful of set images that I found across the web if anyone is interested.

looperstuff.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Upper Crust

Thanks for the pictures, cool stuff!

That being said, this will never be not weird for me to see.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:05 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I didn't know Looper came with cupcakes. I really want one of those goddamn cupcakes!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 am 
The Pin's Mom

Looper has its first fanblog. *sniffle* They grow up so fast...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:45 am 
The Pin's Mom

Noah's "gunslinging coach" shows off a few tricks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAtKfuO ... r_embedded

Yes, I will take three.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:

And--next--Noah Segan!

Noah?

Noah?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:19 pm 
Fearless Flyer

sarahalyse wrote:

Yes, I will take three.

That was quite fly indeed!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next