Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Animal Cruelty Issues
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

First off, I want to say that I think Looper is the Blade Runner of our time. It is, scene for scene, line for line, a masterpiece teeming with ingenuity and deep questions. On the other hand, as a friend of animals, I was deeply disappointed with Mr. Johnson's decision (in the European director's cut Cannes Edition) to show Joseph Gordon-Levit's orangutan friend, Gobo, getting blown up in Gordon-Levit's apartment in the infamous 'silver bar hoarding' scene after Seth is betrayed. I have no doubt that the actual primate playing Gobo was not severely impaired in the filming but can't help agreeing with the American distributors when they decided to leave this scene out. If there was any filmic legitimacy to showing a primate being attacked by hit men from the future (there was no mention of the effects of time travel on non-human primates as far as I remember), I would have opted for something less violent, like an attack by cheesecake.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 am 
Ass. V.P.

In all seriousness, I would do a talking-monkey Looper sequel IN A HEARTBEAT.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

this is outrageous. there is no excuse for such groundless accusations.
there is no animal cruelty in "Looper" [no matter the edit referenced], therefore there is no "issue".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Apologies. I realized on a slow-motion viewing of the scene in question (silver bar hoarding scene) that Gobo is not even in the frame. My question, then, would be, if Gobo wasn't harmed in the gun fire/explosion, what happened to him? Is this a continuity issue?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

with all due respects, what continuity issue there might be is in this thread not the film.
best wishes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:14 pm 
Ass. V.P.

MORE! MORE!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Mr. Leach,

I don't want to waste my time. Before we go any further, have you even seen the European Director's Cut Cannes Edition?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:51 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

lb coup wrote:
Apologies. I realized on a slow-motion viewing of the scene in question (silver bar hoarding scene) that Gobo is not even in the frame.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:39 am 
The Pin's Mom

I was under the impression that Gobo was entirely CGI. But even if there was a real animal used, you already acknowledged that the animal in question was likely not harmed. In that case, what is the difference between showing an animal being shot and Old Seth being violently maimed? Does Frank Brennan not deserve the same compassion as a chimp?

That being said, I always felt the Gobo sequence was excessive and didn't suit the overall tone of the film. Rian, just make a sequel to Most Valuable Primate and get this out of your system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

What is the difference between showing an animal being shot and Seth being maimed?

Well, for one, Seth presumably had a choice. He chose to let his future self live. Gobo had no choice to be hypothetically maimed. To me the difference is as clear as day. Having watched the scene again, I can't even say for sure that Gobo was NOT in it. Are you sure he's using CGI there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 am 
Upper Crust

It's open to interpretation, but I've always assumed that Joe's line of "Gobo, go home!" was intended to suggest that Gobo had left by the time of the explosion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Are you serious?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

lb coup wrote:
Gobo had no choice to be hypothetically maimed. To me the difference is as clear as day. Having watched the scene again, I can't even say for sure that Gobo was NOT in it.

i have a moral aversion to shooting fish in a barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:39 pm 
The Pin's Mom

It is not the responsibility of artists to show only the things that they'd like to happen in the world. Life is shitty: people get hurt, animals get hurt. Children get hurt. Did the child Old Joe shot someone choose to put himself in that scenario? No. He and Gobo are both innocent. But they're also part of the story, and if they get hurt, that's no more Rian condoning the point-blank shooting of toddlers than Quentin Tarrantino condones the free use of the infamous n-word in normal life. Don't confuse the storyteller with the story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm 
Upper Crust

I've only ever seen the European director's cut Venice Edition, but in that Gobo is clearly be maimed and beaten by older Joe in the sewer scene while shouting "Why did you sleep with my wife?"

Now the injuries sustained may or may not have been CGI (I do not know, I don't do that computer stuff beyond the internet) but it seems to me that the apparent scabbing shown on the farm when Sara is healing Gobo back to health were authentic. I've tried tweeting Rian many times about this but the only responses I ever get are "fanfic!" so I can only assume that the monkey is alive and working the twitter account himself.