Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 pm 
Upper Crust

FakeBritishAccent wrote:
JulesKD wrote:
My audience was kind of crap. I was the only one who clapped at the end. :roll:

On the Midnight Showing opening night in a fairly large but half-full theater, when the movie ended the ENTIRE audience was silent. And all of us just sat there for about 45 seconds silent before people started filing out. At first I thought everyone hated it, but right outside the theater, the entire audience was standing in little groups discussing how much the loved the film, questions, theories etc. Perhaps your audience was just as stunned as mine was.

That's exactly what happened at our showing on Friday. Stunned silence for about 15-20 seconds followed by applause. Then everyone filed out quietly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 pm 
Upper Crust

FakeBritishAccent wrote:
JulesKD wrote:

On the Midnight Showing opening night in a fairly large but half-full theater, when the movie ended the ENTIRE audience was silent. And all of us just sat there for about 45 seconds silent before people started filing out. At first I thought everyone hated it, but right outside the theater, the entire audience was standing in little groups discussing how much the loved the film, questions, theories etc. Perhaps your audience was just as stunned as mine was.

Same here, stunned silence but from what I overheard people really seemed to like it. The cinema wasn't that full when I saw it though (at least it wasn't as bad as Paranorman where I was literally the only person there for the entire film). Also I don't think I've ever heard an audience applaud a film unless there was something like a Q&A afterwards.
I'm sure I heard a couple of chuckles throughout the film, can't remember where exactly I remember hearing a some sympathy groans when old Joe kicked his younger self between the legs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:04 pm 
Upper Crust

Kzap wrote:
FakeBritishAccent wrote:
JulesKD wrote:

Same here, stunned silence but from what I overheard people really seemed to like it. The cinema wasn't that full when I saw it though (at least it wasn't as bad as Paranorman where I was literally the only person there for the entire film). Also I don't think I've ever heard an audience applaud a film unless there was something like a Q&A afterwards.
I'm sure I heard a couple of chuckles throughout the film, can't remember where exactly I remember hearing a some sympathy groans when old Joe kicked his younger self between the legs.

Yeah, applause isn't really part of the cinema-going culture in the UK.

(just to continue the other theme: the most empty film I've ever been to was Crazy, Stupid, Love, where I was one of two audience members.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 pm 
Upper Crust

That's a shame. Applause is big here in DC, but maybe that's because we also have such a big theatre crowd that one cannot tell the difference from theatre or film. Actually I doubt that's the case, but either way, there's an untapped audience here wanting more. All we have is the AFI Silver. I once saw Edward Zwick there and was disgusted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:26 pm 
The Pin's Mom

My favorite funny line was "I'm from the future: go to China." The huge laugh it got both times I saw it confirmed for me that it's funny even if you don't know about the script originally calling for Joe to go to Paris.

The second funniest moment was Cid's "Get a load of this guy. You gonna shoot him?" gesture and expression. I just about lost it.

I giggled a bit when Kid Blue fumbles with his gat right as he says the word "precision" (or was it "accuracy"?). I believe Rian admitted that wasn't scripted, that Noah just genuinely fumbled and Rian decided it was funny. Poor Kid.

Justin wrote:
Bruce kills Rian's dad. He's the blond guy in the vest working in the "gun check" closet.

Ha! I knew he looked familiar, but I assumed he was one of those actors you recognize but can't place.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 am 
Upper Crust

sarahalyse wrote:
I giggled a bit when Kid Blue fumbles with his gat right as he says the word "precision" (or was it "accuracy"?). I believe Rian admitted that wasn't scripted, that Noah just genuinely fumbled and Rian decided it was funny. Poor Kid.

I was watching closely at the fumble the second time, it did look really natural. Now I know why.

sarahalyse wrote:
Justin wrote:
Bruce kills Rian's dad. He's the blond guy in the vest working in the "gun check" closet.

Ha! I knew he looked familiar, but I assumed he was one of those actors you recognize but can't place.

He also scans Joe and Seth with the laser thing on the way into the club in the first few minutes. Now that he's done a movie with boobs in it, I imagine the next one is just going to be full of Johnsons.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Justin wrote:
Now that he's done a movie with boobs in it, I imagine the next one is just going to be full of Johnsons.

Very true. Dozens of interviews with RJ stated the fact that the Johnson Family LOVES boobs!

-Jonaas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:25 pm 
The Pin's Mom

What about Mama Johnso? She was in Bloom, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 am 
Fearless Flyer

Boobs are pretty great, let's face it. I want a little female gaze in the next film though. It's time for some peen. (WHEN IS IT NOT?) Hey Rian, put Ewan McGregor or some other hot, often naked guy in your next film please. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:40 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Hey Rian, put Ewan McGregor or some other hot, often naked guy in your next film please. :D

I'm ready.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:52 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ A volunteer! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Riiiiight, because Piper's boobs were excessive, but Joe's back muscles definitely needed to be displayed for plot purposes.

If you dislike women being objectified (which, for the record, I hardly think was the case here), then you dislike humans being objectified. Objectifying men is not the answer. Apparently, "Let's not make this about gender" is my new catch phrase.

And to bring things back on topic: I remember being confused when people laughed at the wide shot of Big Joe punching Little Joe. I think this was because, on my first viewing, I somehow missed that he punched him when we first see that happen from Little Joe's perspective. I thought the gold brick knocked him out. So I was too busy being confused by the perceived inconsistency to see the humor in the visual of the Big Tough Assassin getting knocked out in one blow. Everyone else seemed to like it.

Slightly off topic, but since we've been talking about audience reactions in general: That silent moment when Jesse's chest goes ka-boom allowed me to hear nearly every noise being made in the theater. On my first viewing I don't remember much but a collective gasp, but on the second viewing I also heard someone say "Oh my gaaaawd" and one dude go, "Shiiiiiiiiiit..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ Riiiiiight so you'll notice that I never mentioned anything about Joe, and I also said that boobs were great. I never did once say that Piper was objectified. If I did, gosh, please point it out. If anything, I think that the character of Joe's Wife was, in that she was made into more of a "thing" than an actual character. But that wasn't in a sexualized way.

Also, men generally aren't really objectified in the media.

This is a really good article that I like to bring out when people say "but you shouldn't objectify men, either!"

http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2012/07 ... hat-is-it/ <----- This is WELL worth the read. It is an awesome article on the difference between nudity and real objectification.

I don't objectify men. Do I like looking at them? Sure I do. I think nude scenes of both sexes are just fine if they add to the story or say something important about the character. But we always see naked women, and we rarely see naked men. I mentioned Ewan MGregor because this is something he talks about a lot, often saying that he chooses to do nude scenes to balance out an insane imbalance between male gaze and female gaze in the media.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am 
The Pin's Mom

Obviously women are sexualized and objectified more than men. But people have a tendency to thump that bible in regards to movies that really aren't bad - or ones that sexualize both genders equally (ie people complaining about ScarJo's catsuit and ignoring all of Cap's butt-shots).

It sounded like you were saying that, because Rian showed breasts in Looper, he was obligated to show male nudity in his next film. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Let's get back on topic, shall we?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 am 
Fearless Flyer

No one's obligated to do anything (except try to be the best person they can,) but I wouldn't complain if he decided to. ;)

I also don't necessarily think it's wrong to get worked up over trying to balance the scales. I thought Scarjo was hot in Avengers, but I thought the guys were hot, too. Joss Whedon is awesome about the balancing act. There was male gaze in the movie for sure, but there was female gaze, too. Most of all it was just a really fun movie.

Last edited by JulesKD on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.