Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Embeded Symbolism
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:13 pm 
Upper Crust

Let's start really tearing the details of this thing apart and really deducing what each and every tiny thing might MEAN :D

Remember, though we all love Rian dearly, authors intent doesn't really matter in a discussion on symbolism. The story is out there, and it's our job to interpret, draw conclusions from and find meaning in it. Some interpretations may make more sense then others, but simply hypothosizing on what the author meant would be rather boring, and a clear "right or wrong" argument. I'm more interested in what everyone is reading into it.

For instance, there's been some discussion on the multiple shots of swirling cream in coffee, including a ying/yang reading and a possible nod to technology from Douglas Adams universe. Personally, I saw it as a depiction of the way Old Joe is experiencing memory - once he's back in 2044, his memories become a cloud from two different sources - what he experienced, and what is actually happening. They're coming together, and hard to interpret, but eventually, they become one clear thing, that is, the present truth.

Other possible symbols: Is there a symbolic significance to the clocks, other than "it's time travel movie, time is clearly important." Everyone seems anxious, checking and watching the time, Joe ropped a watch shop, clocks are all unique and clearly placed.

Also, when Sara is is having her post-sex cigarette, there's a close up of a white rabbit ash tray. White rabbits are pretty iconic, due to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, though their use may predate that. In Wonderland, the White Rabbit is running late, and in some versions, carries a broken pocket watch - again, significance on time and time pieces. But why associate Sara with the white rabbit? Theories?

What else??

Post subject: Re: Embeded Symbolism
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:53 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Other possible symbols: Is there a symbolic significance to the clocks, other than "it's time travel movie, time is clearly important." Everyone seems anxious, checking and watching the time, Joe ropped a watch shop, clocks are all unique and clearly placed.
Both Joes carry the same watch (an old-fashioned, round-faced pocket watch), which - I think we can infer from the conversation with Abe - was stolen. Trying to work on something to do with "stolen time" here, but I don't have anything yet.

One thing to do with clocks which I did notice was that the that Suzie looks at when Joe goes to see her has a square face (unlike Joe's, which is a circle/loop). Time, for Joe, is a circle - for Suzie, it's a straight line.

Costume, yo: Joe wears a tie. A tie is a loop worn around the neck. Like an upside-down noose. He will eventually be killed by the loop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
tsukasa13 wrote:
Both Joes carry the same watch (an old-fashioned, round-faced pocket watch), which - I think we can infer from the conversation with Abe - was stolen. Trying to work on something to do with "stolen time" here, but I don't have anything yet.

Oh yeah, I like this. Time doesn't belong to you? This is emphasized when Old Joe and Young Joe argue about who's life is more valuable. In a way, your time belongs to your future self - since the things you do now determine who you will become, it is more "theirs" than it is "yours"? Young Joe is trying to steal Old Joe's time, and just by being alive, Old Joe is stealing Young Joe's. Or something. Then Justin Timberlake steals everyones.

Day Glo wrote:
Costume, yo: Joe wears a tie. A tie is a loop worn around the neck. Like an upside-down noose. He will eventually be killed by the loop.

I think the tie has more to do with fashion - as Abe states just before his death "Everything comes back around - just like your stupid ties." Past comes back to haunt you, nothing goes away forever, etc?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
The Pin's Mom

A white rabbit, you say?

Like...this one?

Emily. White rabbit. I'm calling it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 am 
Upper Crust

I'm going to be a bit of a killjoy here. A white convertible Rabbit (later renamed to Cabriolet; yes, I'm old) was THE car to drive for a certain subset of girls in high school. He must have had trouble finding the cow-patterned seat covers to finish off the look.

On the flip side, however, Brendan following the white Rabbit down the hole, that works. Just unintentionally (I think).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:38 pm 
The Pin's Mom

I feel like Rian's commented on the significance of the white rabbit (Brendan following it down the rabbit hole, Emily being like Alice, out of her depth in a new world, also blonde), but I might just be remembering someone posting the theory. The cue played during that scene is called "The White Rabbit," though, so he was at least aware of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
I'm going to be a bit of a killjoy here. A white convertible Rabbit (later renamed to Cabriolet; yes, I'm old) was THE car to drive for a certain subset of girls in high school. He must have had trouble finding the cow-patterned seat covers to finish off the look.

On the flip side, however, Brendan following the white Rabbit down the hole, that works. Just unintentionally (I think).

Little known fact: Grace Slick used to drive white Rabbit.

Last edited by maxfrost on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:32 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Looking for another thread and saw this one.

Not that it is on topic,
but
isn't all symbolism embedded by definition?

This is not a hack at Marc.

Just did the old oxymoron double-take,
Yknow whut i'm sayin?.¿

If a term has been abused, misused or overused
a sneaky way of avoiding creative reformulation
would be to make a phrase from the word and
treat it is as something fresh.

But then that is pure speculation.

But then without pure speculation the
solid majority of internet threads would
A : disappear
B : never have existed
C : be eaten by Ouroboros

I've seen a hanging and a goat roping,
but I've never seen a snake eat its tail.
Of course that's just the sort of thing
that inquiring minds would expect
snakes to do in private.

Wait ...

I think I hear my parole officer calling.

I'm not supposed to use his online IDs,
but I figure what does he have to lose ...
I'm smarter than him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Well I for one am still waiting for Rian to admit he was busted when I saw his red circles were drawn closed, then open the FIRST time I saw the movie. I'm sure he comes to this site and has seen my thread from several months ago.

C'mon guy just admit you snuck this in there thinking no-one would ever notice it. :D

Like when Abe says "Kid Blue" to the Kid, really meaning the kid blew (referring to Young Joe going on the lam). That one was much more obvious.

Have a nice day Mr. Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:37 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

gaslover wrote:
Well I for one am still waiting for Rian to admit he was busted when I saw his red circles were drawn closed, then open the FIRST time I saw the movie. I'm sure he comes to this site and has seen my thread from several months ago.

C'mon guy just admit you snuck this in there thinking no-one would ever notice it. :D

Like when Abe says "Kid Blue" to the Kid, really meaning the kid blew (referring to Young Joe going on the lam). That one was much more obvious.

Have a nice day Mr. Johnson

While you wait you might want to find something useful to do with the time.
A PhD in physics should be just the thing.