Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:37 am 
Ass. V.P.

tsukasa13 wrote:
taticastro wrote:
This may have been asked before (so i apologise in advance), but i did go through all 6 pages in this thread and found no mention of the following:

I was a bit surprised at how they shot OJ's wife like no big deal, supposedly killing her, but they would not just simply put a bullet between OJ's eyes. Did they timetravel the wife's dead body back to some looper so to make it disappear? Couldn't they have done the same with OJ, thus not allowing the chance of his loop run? I have yet to see a dead body run. :lol:

Any thoughts?

Killing OJs wife was an accident. Murder is a big no-no, and killing someone is going to leave some sort of trace. The cleanest thing to do is send them back first, then kill them, so there's no blood, body, weapon, anything in the future. The gat men heard a sound, and some kind with an itchy trigger finger shot her by mistake. They then did there best to cover up the evidence (by torching the house). Whether they send her body back, too, or just burned it is never explained.

So I don't think killing her was "no big deal", and it's still cleaner/easier to send the person back first.

Could not have said it better myself. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Thanks tsukasa13 and Ryan :P Cheers from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Hear it fall forevermore"
Joanna Newsom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:15 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Killing OJs wife was an accident. Murder is a big no-no, and killing someone is going to leave some sort of trace. The cleanest thing to do is send them back first, then kill them, so there's no blood, body, weapon, anything in the future. The gat men heard a sound, and some kid with an itchy trigger finger shot her by mistake.

The question remains though: how anyone in that future could grow up to become someone with an itchy trigger finger? Or why they'd even have guns in the first place, seeing as how you can't really threaten anyone with them, cause everybody knows they're not supposed to be used.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

T-jones wrote:
The question remains though: how anyone in that future could grow up to become someone with an itchy trigger finger? Or why they'd even have guns in the first place, seeing as how you can't really threaten anyone with them, cause everybody knows they're not supposed to be used.

Indeed. Anyone?

There’s the wide, white roar.

Drop a bell down the stairs.

Hear it fall forevermore"

Joanna Newsom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 am 
Upper Crust

These dudes are hardcore enough at the whole "crime thing" that they have an illegal time machine. I'm sure they have plenty of occasion to kill people the old fashioned way. The whole looper practice is only really useful for carefully planned premeditated killings.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:01 am 
Upper Crust

Why do criminals carry guns, even though they know it could land them in serious trouble? How could a young criminal accidentally kill someone when he knows it's very strictly forbidden? I think these are less Looper plot holes and more questions for our present...

Maybe it doesn't make "sense" to carry a gun, but these are gangsters. Again, they'd prefer to things the "clean" way, but that means using force. I imagine that future gat men are trained to not use their weapons until absolutely necessary. I also imagine that kid who shot Old Joe's wife was not a gat man/alive for much longer after that incident.

The Rainmaker probably sent him to hide out in Bruges until the whole thing "blew over", but really sent him there to be die...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

"I hope you're not letting yourself be influenced by the guns these pocket-edition desperadoes are waving around, because I've practiced taking guns from these boys before; so we'll have no trouble there."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm 
Hash Head

With regard to killing Old Joe's wife....it is quite probable that his 'family' or the mob he worked for would give the guy up as punishment for killing someone he was not suppose to do. That's how mistakes are handled.
Even if it was a big deal, they could send her name back to Abe on one of the silver bars, and order her execution. Then, poor old Joe would never have found her because she would be hunted down and killed (would she only be like 2 years old?).
Then, old Joe would just have lived and died alone in China. Or, he couldn't care less about the Rainmaker if he was sent back to the past.

I'm so glad Bruce Willis didn't run into Michael J. Fox.
Or was he secretly The Rainmaker in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 pm 
Ass. V.P.

I think the key is to remember that killing people is not impossible in the future, and getting away with murder is not impossible either - but making them disappear is. The police will always find the body and know the person was killed. And so the targets that are looped are high value and very sensitive targets who the mob wants to just totally vanish, with no proof of their demise.

If the question is "how could a mobster who hasn't used guns much in his life not be very good at using them," then I'm not sure what you're asking...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 pm 
Upper Crust

I want to take the time to say that the sewer mr.oldjoe sleeps in looks very comfortable. at least the sewage in the future is well taken care of.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:53 pm 
The Pin's Mom

tsukasa13 wrote:
Why do criminals carry guns, even though they know it could land them in serious trouble? How could a young criminal accidentally kill someone when he knows it's very strictly forbidden? I think these are less Looper plot holes and more questions for our present...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 am 
Hash Head

What about a taser blunderbuss?

Anyway....here's a link to "What's wrong with Looper"

Some of it is funny. Some is trying to make themselves seem smart. Some of it is dumb.
Of course they don't fully understand paradoxes or how Bruce Willis can defeat an entire armed mob.

I thought it might be fun to discuss some of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDbqhl_p3g&NR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 am 
Ass. V.P.

I don't have much good stuff to say about those videos. I think they're done with a weirdly nasty and mean spirited tone, and I think they encourage a sort of smarmy I'm-smarter-than-what-I'm-watching mentality that as a fanboy myself I know I try to keep out of my head.

And 99% of their complaints are (to put it kindly) head scratchers. I'm not going to watch it again because I'll just get angry, but I remember one of their "sins" was that I didn't have the computer in the public library be voice controlled. In the public library.

Another was that there were 30 year old cars still on the road. This didn't make sense to them for some reason. Also they couldn't fathom why those 30 year old cars would possibly have modifications like tubes coming out of the engines. That was one of the sins - "Whaaaat's the deal with those tubes?" I'd hate to see their video for the Mad Max movies.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. My own personal issues aside, I've seen a few of the others they've done and I think they're all actively bad for our moviegoing culture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:18 am 
Upper Crust

I agree, it's a perfect example of the pointless nitpicking for which the Internet at large is famous. I had to stop reading Slashdot a few years ago for the same reason: Someone would say something that wasn't EXACTLY PRECISELY CORRECT and there would be a comment train of neckbeards endlessly deconstructing a tossed-off comment of a comment of a comment. Of a link to a story that in fact just linked to another story, reporting on the initial breakthrough/research/joke/movie trailer that spawned the whole thing.

The above goes for nearly everything on the Internet except the masterful takedown review of The Phantom Menace.

Also, this bears mentioning. A few weeks ago, I discovered perhaps the greatest browser plugin of all time, which removes at least 12% of the total stupidity on the entire web: Herp Derp YouTube Comments.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 am 
Upper Crust

Ha I never saw the soy steak option in the diner. Nice touch prop department, nice touch. But that dude does consider that a sin. I wonder how much monetization he gets from youtube.

Anyway I rewatched it. The videos are hard because I don't think he plays it for laughs, which he should. He comes across as condescending and a know-it-all. It's a huge problem.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next