Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

rcjohnso wrote:
jazzcleopatra wrote:
I just wanted to share this awesome theatre with you guys. I live in the neighborhood and frequent Nighthawk because you can tell the owners really care about a great cinema experience. They play current indie movies, thinking man blockbusters, classics, and have random events. They serve real food such burgers, chips and queso ( my favorite ), desserts and alcohol in the theatres, and have two bars in the lobby areas. One lobby acts as a lounge to wait for the show. The other is a restaurant. I've re-watched Looper here twice. I love that they do custom specials in the theme of the movies. My favorite cocktail was the one created for Drive, "The Driver". Looper was complemented by "Close the Loop Doughnut Holes" and "Joe on Ice". They do not show traditional trailers, but instead screen shorts custom made for the feature presentation. For Looper they showed one short that was retro-futuristic music videos and movie clips and a second that was a cheeky homage to Bruce Willis. If anyone lives in New York or plans to visit definitely check out Nighthawk.

http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/screenings.php

That is so incredibly cool.

I live in Silverlake, right up the street from Sunset Junction, and it is the Williamsburg of LA. Or at least I thought it was, and then I walked through Williamsburg a few months ago for the first time in awhile, and I realized we're not even close.

I am so curious to check out Silver Lake. I know Joe and a lot of other artists I respect live there as well. If I ever make a another move within the U.S. it would have to be Southern California. I tried to move back to Austin, but I was missing the "big city" resources despite it being progressive. From what I have seen it seems like Williamsburg with the Southwestern attitude of Austin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm 
Upper Crust

rcjohnso wrote:
I live in Silverlake, right up the street from Sunset Junction, and it is the Williamsburg of LA. Or at least I thought it was, and then I walked through Williamsburg a few months ago for the first time in awhile, and I realized we're not even close.

Everyone said Silverlake was the Wicker Park of LA too, but I am yet to find it comparable. I live further down Sunset near Echo Park, but I've walked up through there many a time... and I feel I must be missing out on the secret cool stuff. There's a gelato place that's pretty rad, and the Vista theater, but other than that, I don't know. Though I suppose if I had the time and money to really indulge in it, I'd find plenty to like.