Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:15 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I just wanted to share this awesome theatre with you guys. I live in the neighborhood and frequent Nighthawk because you can tell the owners really care about a great cinema experience. They play current indie movies, thinking man blockbusters, classics, and have random events. They serve real food such burgers, chips and queso ( my favorite ), desserts and alcohol in the theatres, and have two bars in the lobby areas. One lobby acts as a lounge to wait for the show. The other is a restaurant. I've re-watched Looper here twice. I love that they do custom specials in the theme of the movies. My favorite cocktail was the one created for Drive, "The Driver". Looper was complemented by "Close the Loop Doughnut Holes" and "Joe on Ice". They do not show traditional trailers, but instead screen shorts custom made for the feature presentation. For Looper they showed one short that was retro-futuristic music videos and movie clips and a second that was a cheeky homage to Bruce Willis. If anyone lives in New York or plans to visit definitely check out Nighthawk.

http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/screenings.php

Attachments:
looper small.jpg
looper small.jpg [ 9.85 KiB | Viewed 3157 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:00 am 
Fearless Flyer

I love the idea in theory, but I worry whenever a theatre has a bar. Jerks always feel that having a bar justifies their decision to amplify their boorishness. Unless the place has strict rules about behavior and the means to enforce them, I don't go. How do they handle troublemakers, JC?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Donnacha wrote:
I love the idea in theory, but I worry whenever a theatre has a bar. Jerks always feel that having a bar justifies their decision to amplify their boorishness. Unless the place has strict rules about behavior and the means to enforce them, I don't go. How do they handle troublemakers, JC?

I'm not sure if you know Williamsburg, Brooklyn at all but this is not that kind of audience. People who attend screenings at Nitehawk are hipsters ( please nobody start a hipster rant haha) who are really into film and craving a sophisticated cinema experience. It is such an oasis. I highly doubt there has been a need for intervention. Plus, I use to live in Austin and Alamo drafthouse is similar and has thrived for years, no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:56 am 
Hash Head

We have a set of four theaters with a bar.
Big leather chairs too, real nice...
It costs 20 instead of 14...but byob is nice too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 am 
Fearless Flyer

jazzcleopatra wrote:
I'm not sure if you know Williamsburg, Brooklyn at all...

(Fights urge to retort to such a hipster comment)

jazzcleopatra wrote:
but this is not that kind of audience. People who attend screenings at Nitehawk are hipsters

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to say it.

jazzcleopatra wrote:
Plus, I use to live in Austin and Alamo drafthouse is similar and has thrived for years, no problem.

The Drafthouse also prides itself on its distraction-free policy, which is why I asked. Thanks JC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I'm just not sure if people know the area. Not meant to be elitist or anything. I love my neighborhood. I also get why people hate on "hipsters", but I'm kind of tired of the reactionary disdain for anything "hipster".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I'm happy to say that tickets at Nitehawk are the same as the regular chain theatres here. The food isn't super cheap, but for $10 I get freshly made chips and cueso with guacamole and another $10 for a top shelf cocktail. Such a better bargain than what you pay for a ticket, soda, and super processed nachos elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 am 
Fearless Flyer

jazzcleopatra wrote:
I'm just not sure if people know the area. Not meant to be elitist or anything. I love my neighborhood. I also get why people hate on "hipsters", but I'm kind of tired of the reactionary disdain for anything "hipster".

I don't have, nor do I try to exhibit anything that may be perceived as, a disdain for anything "hipster". I think pompously diminishing something for being part of a style or group is worse than any supposed conformity to that style or group in itself*. It was only good-natured ribbing in relation to the way your response could be inferred, akin to a stereotypical Hipster response: "(Stifled scoff) Um... I'm not sure how well you know Williamsburg (sensible chuckle)..."

No malice intended JC. Keep on being awesome.

*Unless it's well, y'know, Nazis.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

No worries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:22 am 
Upper Crust

Williamsburg way down at 3rd according to Forbes.

Disclaimer: I live in the Mission in SF, I think it's appropriate, on an olfactory level, that we're number two.

(We're getting an Alamo Drafthouse here too, supposed to open the end of next year, which is annoying since they've been working on the damn building for six months already. Until then we just have to brown-bag it.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I wish Williamsburg had the beauty of California. That is a big complaint with me. I used to live in San Francisco and I think it trumps New York aesthetically, except the homeless are a bit more rough around the edges. I keep having thoughts of moving to Silver Lake or Echo Park for the weather and laidback West Coast attitude. But New York is home now and I have deep roots after being here 10 years.

... Wow, how the Nitehawk discussion get derailed. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Damn hipsters! Always derailing threads.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm 
Upper Crust

I was derailing threads before it was cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:41 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

"Cool" is so 20th Century.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 pm 
Ass. V.P.

jazzcleopatra wrote:
I just wanted to share this awesome theatre with you guys. I live in the neighborhood and frequent Nighthawk because you can tell the owners really care about a great cinema experience. They play current indie movies, thinking man blockbusters, classics, and have random events. They serve real food such burgers, chips and queso ( my favorite ), desserts and alcohol in the theatres, and have two bars in the lobby areas. One lobby acts as a lounge to wait for the show. The other is a restaurant. I've re-watched Looper here twice. I love that they do custom specials in the theme of the movies. My favorite cocktail was the one created for Drive, "The Driver". Looper was complemented by "Close the Loop Doughnut Holes" and "Joe on Ice". They do not show traditional trailers, but instead screen shorts custom made for the feature presentation. For Looper they showed one short that was retro-futuristic music videos and movie clips and a second that was a cheeky homage to Bruce Willis. If anyone lives in New York or plans to visit definitely check out Nighthawk.

http://www.nitehawkcinema.com/screenings.php

That is so incredibly cool.

I live in Silverlake, right up the street from Sunset Junction, and it is the Williamsburg of LA. Or at least I thought it was, and then I walked through Williamsburg a few months ago for the first time in awhile, and I realized we're not even close.