Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Fearless Flyer

Sorry to make a whole big post about this, but I want to find out quickly enough that if I got the wrong version, I can return it before tonight. :)

Me Mam bought me Looper on "ultraviolet." One guy at the store said it was different to Blu-Ray, and someone else said it was the same thing. I'm not a fan of Blu-Ray but I wanted all the special features and extras. This version has the commentary, making-of, 5 deleted scenes, scoring, and the animated trailer.

So, do I have everything, all the extras? And will I be able to play this on my PS3?

HALP!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:56 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Was it also Swedenized?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Should I know what that means and start to feel stupid?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 am 
The Pin's Mom

I just bought the blu-ray today, which says "Blu-Ray and Ultraviolet" on the cover. No fuckin' idea what Ultraviolet is, but it played in my friend's PS3.

And Jules, you should know better than to ever take Max seriously outside the Movie Reactions thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 am 
Fearless Flyer

Auwe, it's the wrong version anyway. The guy at KMart said there was ONE blu ray left and I asked my Mom (who works at the store next door) to pick it up. Then he gave her this ultra violet DVD thing. :/ I'm so peeved b/c I wanted to watch it last night. I only have one blu ray and my Mom has never seen one, so she didn't know the difference. You'd think the guy who worked in the DVD section would know.

Can't find the blu ray anywhere except Amazon, so I guess I have to wait till it comes in. Boo, hiss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:52 am 
Upper Crust

I believe Max is referring to the concept of "Sweding" movies, in which films are recreated by amateurs using DIY sets and costumes. This idea was famously portrayed in Michel Gondry's film Be Kind Rewind, wherein Jack Black and Mos Def accidentally erased the entire contents of a video store and tried to pass off their own remakes as the original film.

Here the concept is quoted to humorously suggest that your mother was sold a knock-off remake of the film and not a legitimate - if previously unknown - format of the original.

Comedy!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Ahh gotcha, thanks. :) Actually that sounds like fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm 
The Pin's Mom

When I used to work at a video store, we had a crazy old lady regular who always tried to get refunds by claiming the movies weren't the "real" versions - basically what you described. I'd never heard of such a thing happening, so it sounded extra crazy...but she genuinely believed that the movies she was renting were not the originals. After being told she could not get a refund on her rental of Random Hearts, and even though we assured her that she had watched the real movie, she asked if we had Harrison Ford's phone number. She said, "I just think he should be informed."

THAT being said, looks like this "Ultraviolet" business is some sort of online movie-watching platform where buying a DVD or Blu-Ray gains you access to a digital copy of the movie...but this article suggests it's a pretty shoddy system. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Ultr ... 34320.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ OMG, maybe that lady had Capgras syndrome! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

Only just with movies. Or something.

Re: ultraviolet. Well I guess that's kind of neat, for people who want to make gifs or music videos or something. Although, usually folks have other means of downloading for those purposes. ;)

My blu ray got shipped today. Bitch better hurry up and get here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 am 
Fearless Flyer

JulesKD wrote:
You'd think the guy who worked in the DVD section would know.

:lol: Funnily enough, I was actually the last video store employee who ever knew what they were talking about, and that was ten years ago.

(Tsukasa doesn't count. He lives in LA, where everyone acts like they know what they're talking about, and he can just google and IMDb everything what did I use for google and IMDb? MY BRAIN that's what)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
^ OMG, maybe that lady had Capgras syndrome! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

Hey, I have Crapgas syndrome!

Oh, wait, no, it's just dyslexia.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 pm 
Upper Crust

Ultra Violet is some promotional thing Sony is doing with the cloud. I've heard terrible things about it. I don't know what version to buy!!!!! I don't even have a blu-ray player but I want one for the special features....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:54 pm 
The Pin's Mom

JulesKD wrote:

That sounds like it. What's the technical name for when someone thinks Blockbuster employees have personal contact information for major Hollywood stars?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 am 
Fearless Flyer

sarahalyse wrote:
JulesKD wrote:

That sounds like it. What's the technical name for when someone thinks Blockbuster employees have personal contact information for major Hollywood stars?

Adolescence? ;)

When I was a teenager I was head over heels in love with Rutger Hauer. I did ask the guy at the video store if he had any, you know, sort of information, or books of contacts, or the name of his agent or something, where I could write and offer him my young nubile body.

Today I know better than to think the guy at Video Breakthrough might find a path to Rutger Hauer for me. But I'd probably still make out with him, given the chance. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:30 am 
Ass. V.P.

They sell a version that's JUST ultraviolet? I thought it was just an add-on to the blu. Bah!