Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Rian...

I'm a huge French New Wave film fanatic and can't help but identify allusions and references to French New Wave films in your work. I especially loved your choice in Looper to have Joe learning French and dreaming of moving to France with his final pay off. The JGL 'bang' into the camera was also a favorite moment for me. (Very Belmondo). And Brothers Bloom is unabashedly one of my favorite 'American Nouvelle Vague' films.

Am I projecting my own affection for French New Wave films and filmmakers onto your work or do you share similar sentiments? If you are a fan, what are a couple of your favorite French New Wave films?

Thanks for sharing your scripts and experiences with your fans. As a low budget filmmaker I draw incredible inspiration from your work, from your scripts, and from your willingness to share your experiences.

Thanks for sharing your experiences in pulling together your projects with the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am 
Ass. V.P.

Thanks - no I did look at French New Wave films for the opening especially, those references aren't accidental. Originally you could see more of Joe eating pineapple in his apartment when he's studying French, which was a Chunking Express reference - not French obviously, but very New-Wave influenced.