Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

First off, let me say that I am very happy to have found this forum!
This will be my first post, and I intend for it to be intricate and thought provoking.

Along with many others that saw Looper, I saw a correlation between the characters of Abe and Kid Blue.
I came to the conclusion that Kid Blue is in fact Abe's past self. I have many reasons for this, the main one being the treatment of Kid Blue by Abe and it's similarities to the treatment of Young Joe by Old Joe.
I also see that although Abe fails to treat Young Joe like a son despite essentially raising him, he seems to treat Kid Blue like a belligerent offspring.
Other possible reasons for my conclusion may surface.

Another correlation I found is between Cid and Joe.
The main correlation I see is the lack of a mother in both. Both witnessed the death of their mother (I believe)
My first conclusion is that Cid is actually Joe. They have similar looks to them (in my opinion, green/blue eyes could be do to Drop usage.) Although I would like this to somehow be true, I find it unlikely due to the fact that Joe has no TK ability whatsoever.
Joe also talks about being put on a train by his mom. Seeing his mom be killed. Wanting to kill the bad men.
My second conclusion is that Cid is Joe's son, with his Asian wife, who's name I seem to have forgotten. I have a few reasons for this:
1 - Cid appears to be of mixed race, he has tanned skin, somewhat Asian eyes, but also has caucasian characteristics.
2 - In a scene where Old Joe is remembering his Wife, you can see them smile, and the faint cries of a child.
3 - More may surface.

A correlation between Seth and the boy Joe nearly hits with his sports car at the opening of the film.

ALSO ---- Something that troubled me but is unrelated. Why is it that the Mobsters need the Young Loopers alive to catch the Old Loopers? Seth and Joe were both supposed to be captured alive. If they had killed them, would that not be easier? The Old Loopers would have disappeared like Old Joe does when Young Joe offs himself. I believe there is some unexplained reasoning for this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:06 am 
Upper Crust

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

Some of these are popular theories, and they're pretty crazy! I don't think the text supports any of them. Sorry to be a downer!

Joe's doesn't say his mother was killed; he says she sold him to a gang.

Abe's violent treatment of Kid Blue is surely not how one would treat one's past self.

I don't think Cid has any significant Asian facial features.

If you don't know what's going to happen by killing the younger version of a time-traveller, are you likely to put this to the test to find out?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 am 
Fearless Flyer

Welcome to the forum!

Like Day Glo said, these theories have come and gone. Probably the biggest reason (at least to me) that Cid could not be Joe would be, uhh, incest. He would have had sex with his own Mom. Eww. Cid did have a Mom: Sarah.

And saying that Cid was Joe's son and was part Asian... Well first of all, Young Joe dies, so that couldn't happen.

But mostly, I truly believe that Rian would not pull a "racebending" stunt. If he'd wanted an Asian or mixed race actor, he would have gotten one. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Welcome to the forum - I love all the connections you made. And remember, the theories that seem the most out-there are always the most fun to talk about. And the thing you're on to which is very perceptive is the thematic connections between the characters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 am 
Hash Head

3FoldZ wrote:
First off, let me say that I am very happy to have found this forum!
This will be my first post, and I intend for it to be intricate and thought provoking.

Along with many others that saw Looper, I saw a correlation between the characters of Abe and Kid Blue.
I came to the conclusion that Kid Blue is in fact Abe's past self. I have many reasons for this, the main one being the treatment of Kid Blue by Abe and it's similarities to the treatment of Young Joe by Old Joe.
I also see that although Abe fails to treat Young Joe like a son despite essentially raising him, he seems to treat Kid Blue like a belligerent offspring.
Other possible reasons for my conclusion may surface.

Another correlation I found is between Cid and Joe.
The main correlation I see is the lack of a mother in both. Both witnessed the death of their mother (I believe)
My first conclusion is that Cid is actually Joe. They have similar looks to them (in my opinion, green/blue eyes could be do to Drop usage.) Although I would like this to somehow be true, I find it unlikely due to the fact that Joe has no TK ability whatsoever.
Joe also talks about being put on a train by his mom. Seeing his mom be killed. Wanting to kill the bad men.
My second conclusion is that Cid is Joe's son, with his Asian wife, who's name I seem to have forgotten. I have a few reasons for this:
1 - Cid appears to be of mixed race, he has tanned skin, somewhat Asian eyes, but also has caucasian characteristics.
2 - In a scene where Old Joe is remembering his Wife, you can see them smile, and the faint cries of a child.
3 - More may surface.

A correlation between Seth and the boy Joe nearly hits with his sports car at the opening of the film.

ALSO ---- Something that troubled me but is unrelated. Why is it that the Mobsters need the Young Loopers alive to catch the Old Loopers? Seth and Joe were both supposed to be captured alive. If they had killed them, would that not be easier? The Old Loopers would have disappeared like Old Joe does when Young Joe offs himself. I believe there is some unexplained reasoning for this.

Welcome and its nice that you are thinking out loud.....but no, no, and no way.

Abe would suffer any event that Kid Blue would experience (and he doesn't). Also, he directly states that you should never see or talk to your past self.

Cid is Joe?? He's the wrong age and Joe doesn't have kids.
Cid is Joe's son??
There's a better chance that Joe could have fathered a kid with Suzie (Piper). If Joe had a kid, he would have known his birthday, don't you think. And its doubtful an 8 year-old has a time machine.

But, what are the odds of Suzie having a kid born the same day and same hospital as Sara (Emily)?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:46 pm 
Ass. V.P.

futuro.asesinos wrote:
But, what are the odds of Suzie having a kid born the same day and same hospital as Sara (Emily)?

It's a coincidence, I'll definitely grant you that. But I've had crazier ones in my life.

Slightly mitigating factor: there's probably only one major hospital the city where we know they both had their kids. So the coincidence is not the hospital, it's the date of birth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:34 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Gee, what are the odds of two kids being born in the same hospital on the same day? Let me call Vegas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Fearless Flyer

rcjohnso wrote:
futuro.asesinos wrote:

It's a coincidence, I'll definitely grant you that. But I've had crazier ones in my life.

Slightly mitigating factor: there's probably only one major hospital the city where we know they both had their kids. So the coincidence is not the hospital, it's the date of birth.

Shoots, my brother and I were born on the same day, in the same city.

23 years apart. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 pm 
Ass. V.P.

JulesKD wrote:
rcjohnso wrote:
futuro.asesinos wrote:

**backing slowly away**

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:

And they're identical twins!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ Yes, longest gestation ever. My poor mom! ;)

Nah but really, he's my half-brother. My Dad was kind of a traveling singer and got to procreating a little early. ;D And he was considerably older than my Mom.

But yup, same birthday, same city (Queens,) same day, same time of night - only a few minutes apart!

And then he married a woman with the same name as his mother, and my other brother married a woman with the same name as our sister.

And then my cousin, who was born 8 days after me and shares a b'day with our Grandma, married a man with the same birthday as my brother and I.

It's all very complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:02 pm 
Ass. V.P.

JulesKD wrote:
^ Yes, longest gestation ever. My poor mom! ;)

Nah but really, he's my half-brother. My Dad was kind of a traveling singer and got to procreating a little early. ;D And he was considerably older than my Mom.

But yup, same birthday, same city (Queens,) same day, same time of night - only a few minutes apart!

And then he married a woman with the same name as his mother, and my other brother married a woman with the same name as our sister.

And then my cousin, who was born 8 days after me and shares a b'day with our Grandma, married a man with the same birthday as my brother and I.

It's all very complicated.

Your story is full of holes and doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but emotionally it's resonant so I was able to let it go and just go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm 
Fearless Flyer

^ Reply of perfection, because if that happened in fiction, people would be like, "Yeah, not buying it. Relies too much on coincidence." :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm 
Upper Crust

"I often find that the same things happen at least twice in the same day." - Aristotle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:35 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ That's true. I definitely pee many times during the day and I can't say the experiences vary much.