Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Joe's last name...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:32 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

The Wikipedia article for Looper lists Joe's last name as Simmons, but I don't recall his last name anywhere in the film. Could someone help clarify this for me? I appreciate your help.

Post subject: Re: Joe's last name...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Man, that is weird. It also gives last names for Sara and Cid (different ones), Seth, Jesse, and Dale. Preeeetty sure none of those characters were given last names in the movie, and there certainly aren't any last names in the credits.

Rian?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:39 am 
Upper Crust

Cid's last name is visible as Harington if you freeze-frame on Old Joe's computer search. None of the other characters have known surnames to the best of my knowledge (and I seem to recall Rian noting that several reviews referred to Joe's name being "Simmons" but having no idea where that came from).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Day Glo wrote:
Cid's last name is visible as Harington if you freeze-frame on Old Joe's computer search. None of the other characters have known surnames to the best of my knowledge (and I seem to recall Rian noting that several reviews referred to Joe's name being "Simmons" but having no idea where that came from).

Thank you; I did think "Cid Harrington" looked familiar for some reason. I am really curious where this came from...I was thinking someone just edited the Wikipedia page and added the last names of people they knew, to be a brat, but there are 11,000 Google hits for "Joe Simmons" and "Looper."

As long as they were making up last names for other male characters, why not call one of them Harrington and support the fan theory that Cid's dad was a looper or a gat man? My money's on Dale.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:37 am 
Ass. V.P.

Harrington is indeed in the movie, but I'm glad this came up because I have NO idea where "Simmons" came from. At some point it started getting used in the promo materials (or maybe it surfaced in a review first?) but I don't know where it came from, I didn't come up with it. I've always wondered.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:06 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Thanks, Rian. I'm glad I checked. I was constructing a Sunday NYT crossword with a Looper clue/answer which contained Simmons as part of the answer in the grid. Guess I'll have to reconstruct much of the puzzle. If you have a time machine that can send a message to the the younger me to not to start with Simmons in the puzzle, it would save me quite a bit of time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:50 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Ack! I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:50 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Though never part of the author's official work and never intended to be canon, surely it's still appropriate given its foothold in the film's periphery? Much like how the shark in Jaws is "Bruce", it could become one of those nuggets of info that only the present and the committed remember. Put it in your crossword - just amend the clue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 am 
The Pin's Mom

I disagree entirely. The shark was named Bruce by the filmmakers, so even though it wasn't in the film, it could still be considered canon. This is just a weird artifact of bad Internet journalism.

My theory is that someone edited the Wikipedia page and added the last names of people they know to the characters, because people do weird shit like that on Wikipedia. Probably someone named Joe Simmons, I wouldn't wonder. Poorly-trained journalists then took this as gospel, and ran with it. That's hardly the basis for adding something to canon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Fearless Flyer

Bah, the ire of Sarah has been awoken from its precarious slumber. This wasn't worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:04 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

No worries, Rian. Perhaps I'll include a Looper clue/answer in later puzzle. BLUNDERBUSS would be fun. Either as a Looper clue or Jack White's debut solo album. Looks as if someone removed 'Simmons' from the Wikipedia article. I'm glad I could be a catalyst for change. If you ever need anything puzzle-related in your films, let me know. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:07 am 
Fearless Flyer

joesimmons wrote:
If you ever need anything puzzle-related in your films, let me know. :wink:

"No, I am his forever puzzle darling, dammit"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Donnacha wrote:
Bah, the ire of Sarah has been awoken from its precarious slumber. This wasn't worth it.

I wasn't trying to be ire-y. I just didn't agree :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Joseph Simmons (AKA Run) is a founding member of Run-D.M.C. The group performed the song 'Christmas in Hollis' which is heard near the beginning of Die Hard starring Bruce Willis. Some of the lyrics (rapped specifically by Joseph Simmons) in the song include "12 o'clock had neared, so I turned my head a second and the man had gone" and "The time is now, the place is here." Early on, Run-D.M.C. was known as an anti-looping group. In music, looping is linking the end of a sample with the earlier part to instantaneously join them. When the youngest member of the group was killed by gunfire, Run-D.M.C. immediately disbanded and was no more.

The Simmons puzzle is now solved. 8)

Last edited by joesimmons on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 am 
Upper Crust