Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Playing with straws
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:22 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I just watched Looper for the first time since the Theater and just wanted to share my theory. Hopefully someone hasn't already gone over this, but feel free to comment if someone already has talked about this or poke fun at me for all the holes in it. Anyway, my theory involves three Joes and three Seths, Old Joe/Seth, Young Joe/Seth, and lets call the other Joe "Joe 0"/”Seth 0”. Basically my theory is that it's an endless circle from JOE 0, to OLD JOE, to YOUNG JOE, then back to JOE 0. Alright, so like I said, it's a circle so there's no real start, but for the sake of explanation let’s just start with JOE 0. Alright, so when he's young, OLD JOE kills his older self with a bag over his head, this is JOE 0. So why doesn't JOE 0 escape like OLD JOE? Well my theory is that JOE 0 never went to China, instead, he went to France like he originally planned. So what changed? Well if you notice when SETH 0 escapes from OLD SETH and OLD JOE is called into talk to Abe, Abe tells him not to go to France, but instead to go to China. So if SETH 0 kills his future self, Abe never talks to JOE 0 about going to China and he never goes. Well then, why does SETH 0 kill his future self? Well what if it's not quite his future self, what if it's all a loop, what if his future self is YOUNG SETH? YOUNG SETH, who was crippled, can't get away and SETH 0 ends up shooting him. So SETH 0 shoots YOUNG SETH, and JOE 0 doesn't shoot anybody because YOUNG JOE is dead. JOE 0 lives his life, and gets sent back to OLD JOE who shoots him and goes to China because OLD SETH didn't shoot SETH 0. And then we have the movie where OLD JOE and YOUNG JOE both die. Alright, so what about the Rainmaker? Well my theory is The Rainmaker doesn't exist. I know, I know... but just hear me out. Alright so before OLD SETH almost kills SETH 0, SETH 0 tells him about the Rainmaker, but what if one of the Seth incarnations made it up? Seth knows himself and he knows what to tell his younger self so he can get away, he knows to sing the song and he knows to plant this idea about the Rainmaker. So lets say SETH 0 makes it up, SETH 0 tells OLD SETH who believes it and tells all the loopers. Now all the loopers believe this theory and it's passed down from Seth to Seth. Alright, I know, my logic is circular but time travel itself is circular logic so I kind of has to be. Anyway, thanks for reading this! Again, feel free to tell me the flaws in this because I know there have to be plenty.

Last edited by Guido on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Playing with straws
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Man, I'm not going to lie...my head started spinning before I made it all the way through that. But I've never heard this theory before, so cheers for that at least!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30 pm 
Hash Head

You seem to have old and young versions mixed up.
Old Seth did not kill young Seth. Young Seth did not time travel back, only old Seth did.
Same with Joe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

futuro.asesinos wrote:
You seem to have old and young versions mixed up.
Old Seth did not kill young Seth. Young Seth did not time travel back, only old Seth did.
Same with Joe.

I don't think I ever said Old Seth kills Young Seth...I know what I wrote was kind of confusing though... let me try to clear it up. At the start of the movie we see two timelines... We are watching them as one timeline though as everything happens the same. Everything happens the same until in one timeline Old Joe(while he's young) kills who I call "Joe 0" and in the other timeline Young Joe fails to kill Old Joe. As far as Young Seth traveling back, that's something I take liberty with a little bit. Young Seth doesn't die in the movie, they just cut his appendages off.

sarahalyse wrote:

Man, I'm not going to lie...my head started spinning before I made it all the way through that. But I've never heard this theory before, so cheers for that at least!

Sorry! I think I need to make a graph or something....it makes sense in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:35 pm 
The Pin's Mom

No worries. At least it didn't fry my brain like an egg :D