Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Teaser trailer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm 
Hash Head

There's also another mysterious spire in the foreground on the right side of the screen a split second before the frame you so graciously posted, as the scene pans inward towards Rey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:35 pm 
Upper Crust

Yeah, I noticed that one too as I was watching it fourteen more times but was too lazy to go back and screenshot again. My guesses (which are all almost certainly wrong) are a) just some rocks b) the first one's just a rock and the second one's a statue, or c) Rian was trying to frame it with some cool significance we're not smart enough to get.

Not kidding about the last one. I talked with him about Bloom one time, he explained some of the symbolism he'd baked in (this was just after I'd seen it for the first time, most of it is fairly obvious upon repeat viewings) and was worried it was too sneaky/hidden. I said, "No, you just gave GENERATIONS of film students some really cool shit to discover!" Some of it's been discussed here if you're curious, and rather than take this thread further and further off-topic, if you want me to lay out the basics start a thread in the Bloom sub-forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm 
Hash Head

I think your guesses are pretty good.
Glad we have you to help us gain a unique insider perspective.
Sometimes I wonder if trailers have red herrings just merely for the sake of eliciting discussion.
The trailer could be edited in such a way so as to make people think the movie is going to be such-and-such, and then it could go in an entirely different direction.
Alternately, it would be wild if the trailer was entirely fabricated with scenes that are unrelated to that actual movie.
We saw a lesser version of that in the Rogue One trailer, which contained scenes that never made the movie.
The spires could be red herrings, or just to frame the shot and make it look neat.
I haven't seen Bloom, but if His Majesty (I was going to say "Johnson", but I rightly corrected myself) does a nice job with Ep 8, I'll take a look at his other stuff.

Thanks again,

- Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm 
Upper Crust

Mike!!

You should watch Bloom, I was just telling a friend today that I think it's 8 or 10 minutes too long but I'm not qualified enough to tell you which 8-10 minutes could be taken out. Complicating that, it's kind of a 4- or 4-and-a-half-act film, which is against our expectations so it feels disjointed, and there definitely is (some) resolution at the conclusion of Act III. Don't wait 8 months arbitrarily though, it's 90 minutes of your life that will mostly be enriching even if you're only "meh" on it at the end.

Wait, better sell job: It's Mark Ruffalo being roguishly charming for 90 minutes while Adrien Brody mopes wonderfully against him, while Rachel Weisz charms, mopes (a bit), and...what's the word? Surprises, she also surprises. They don't resemble brothers in the slightest, but their onscreen love/hate chemistry sells it. And there are HEAPS of signature Rian humor throughout. Also, I can't remember: have you seen any of his movies? They all have great stuff throughout, and since there's only three of them you could watch them all on a Saturday and still get the gardening done.

Also, Robbie Coltrane is in it. Knowing how much Rian loved Nuns on the Run back in high school made me wildly excited for that bit of casting. (NB: I am not skipping Rinko's irreplaceable work, but you have to wind up your pitch at some point. I went Rule of Three plus a cameo by Hagrid.)

Last thing: it's 40% less zany than the trailer makes it out to be.

Most of my "insider perspective", to be totally honest, is educated guesses based on the 45-minute conversations I have with him every 18 months. But I do have years and years of knowing him generally to fall back on, so I'm a little better than the average person at guessing what he's up to. I have a couple of bug-fuck crazy ideas of what he did with the story (based on knowing him and things that I may or may not have seen but I can't talk about anyway even if I did), which if I'm right I may poo my pants right in the theater. And again, sorry for vagueness, there's one that might be an idea he's not even aware of was an inspiration. Or it's just a hilarious coincidence. Or (equally likely) I'm just bug-fuck crazy.

As for the trailer, he said the other day on Twitter that someone else actually put it together (which probably explains why the timing is beat-for-beat identical to The Force Awakens teaser), but I think he picked which clips they used. So the spires could be either nothing or something. If he cuts a trailer himself you can be damn sure there'll be some excellently subtle shit throughout. Or not, just to fake us all out.

Rogue One was a victim of reshoots, which is the reason for the unused footage, though I read an article that said the shot of Jyn on the tower with the TIE Fighter rearing up was a trailer-only shot. Which is a shame, because to me that was hands-down the most badass shot in the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm 
Hash Head

Okay, I promise I'll watch Bloom, and maybe the other two depending on how much gardening I have, or how inspired I am after watching Bloom. I'll hold you to the life-enrichment guarantee.

I'm quite intrigued by what you may have seen in the trailer. Maybe I'll do a bit of investigative work to decipher what it could be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 pm 
Upper Crust

My crazy ideas are not from the trailer (or maybe they are and I'm lying just there but not here), so you won't turn up much and I won't tell you anyway beyond telling you not to bother going on wild goose chases. Or you might and I still won't.

If you're going to indulge yourself, I'd really start with Brick. Not only is it a stunning achievement for an unknown filmmaker who paid for it with gum wrappers and little bits of string, but you'll get a better picture of the career arc. And selfishly, it's the nearest to my heart since it's my high school and my home town, and most of the characters are people I knew--if they're not outright named the same, they are definitely inspired by them. Maybe I'm in there too.

Also keep in mind that I tend to think even shitty experiences are life-enriching, if only to have learned "well, I'm definitely not doing that again."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:51 pm 
Hash Head

That must be a surreal experience to see a movie containing elements of your world. I'd be totally excited to see that. Any particular elements that struck you as personally relevant?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 pm 
Fearless Flyer

We got a "that's what she said!" YES!

Okay, so it occurs to me that "end" can be a transitive verb as well as intransitive. "It's time for the Jedi to end...

...this training montage and get out there and fight the First Order!"

RIGHT THO?? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 am 
Hash Head

Ah-hahahahaha :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:09 pm 
Upper Crust

rcj_yay wrote:
That must be a surreal experience to see a movie containing elements of your world. I'd be totally excited to see that. Any particular elements that struck you as personally relevant?

Back in high school, we had this tunnel that ran under the freeway, which was the quickest way to get to the shopping center where, among other things, the best pizza place in town was located. I took one of my friends down once and scared him half out of his wits. Apparently this made some kind of impression on him.

Also, watching all the various nods to HS days and the city itself: street names, character names and their general archetypes, certain locations used in the movie--Brendan eats lunch where Rian and pals used to, some of the slang, a certain Mom character is a scarcely-exaggerated version of a friend's mom...I'm sure there are more, those are just off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:

Back in high school, we had this tunnel that ran under the freeway, which was the quickest way to get to the shopping center where, among other things, the best pizza place in town was located. I took one of my friends down once and scared him half out of his wits. Apparently this made some kind of impression on him.

Also, watching all the various nods to HS days and the city itself: street names, character names and their general archetypes, certain locations used in the movie--Brendan eats lunch where Rian and pals used to, some of the slang, a certain Mom character is a scarcely-exaggerated version of a friend's mom...I'm sure there are more, those are just off the top of my head.

That's insane I had no idea you had that connection to the film. Or I did and forgot. I don't know I've been on this board since high-school when the film had an incredible effect on my life that I won't bore you with. If you haven't seen Brick you are doing yourself a disservice. It's remarkable, there's not another movie like it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:37 pm 
Upper Crust

I mentioned it once a million years ago I think. But I've been in that tunnel a few hundred times, so watching even the trailer the first time kind of made my head spin. And the tunnel itself didn't spook him, it was the high school "bad kids" that would hang out in it and smoke.

Speaking of which, the other weird thing for me was that I immediately knew the exact guy he based Dode on the first time he showed up.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:25 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Speaking of which, the other weird thing for me was that I immediately knew the exact guy he based Dode on the first time he showed up.

I definitely knew like three Dode's in high-school. And a pin.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:51 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Teaser trailer was exciting. However I cringe when I think the legacies of heroes like Obi Wan and Yoda can be destroyed with a stroke of a pen. If Star Wars truly takes the direction that the Jedi have been teaching a lie & someone as wise and with as strong a connection to the force as Yoda didn't have a clue, doesn't make sense. I'm afraid if they end the Jedi and come up with some new name, it will utimately result in the end of the franchise. Star Wars is and has always been about the Jedi. At the end of the day, I hope the beliefs of our old heroes are redeemed or at least partially redeemed. (If they really go in that direction. Personally I hope it's all misdirection and they are attempting to trick us.)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:58 pm 
Upper Crust

I doubt they'll put 'it's time for the Jedi to end' in the first trailer and then say 'we've got a huge surprise twist coming!' and then have that be the twist. I'm not sure Luke hasn't gone a little mad (though I doubt it), but I'm pretty sure they're not gonna wipe away the previous 11 films and 5 series.