Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 am 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 5675
Location: Critterville
circuitsnake wrote:
Looks like it's JJ Abrams. Very cool

That's the lowest common denominator solution.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3350
Location: SF
JJ: Rian, you were my first choice to do the second.
Rian: JJ, you were their second choice to do your second.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:12 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:18 am
Posts: 2517
I'm still hoping for a Jodorowsky stand-alone 4-hour Star Wars anthology film that takes place during Luke tripping on acid when he's 15 on Tatooine. Now that's a prequel.

PS I think JJ is a great choice for these huge films. He loves Star Wars and I am sure will do a great job. These movies seem really large and hard to make.

_________________
"Do you know what brings rats, mice, snakes up out of they hole?
Chonkyfire, spliced with rock n'roll indubitably, piper pied." - Andre 3000


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 5675
Location: Critterville
OK, OK, I give up. JJ Abrams is the boss, now don't ever say Jodorowsky again.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3350
Location: SF
circuitsnake wrote:
Luke tripping on acid when he's 15 on Tatooine.


It's been done.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Eureka, CA
JJ Abrams to write and direct 9... What the hell? Didn't they get the memo that Episode 7 sucked?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 1208
Location: The Netherlands
Neil_Leach wrote:
THIJS

That's all of my dreams. But I LOVE JJ though, very happy about this news.

_________________
Me. - My company.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm
Posts: 1078
rcj_yay wrote:
JJ Abrams to write and direct 9... What the hell? Didn't they get the memo that Episode 7 sucked?


It didn't suck. It was actually quite good for not being original or taking a single risk. I love it despite it's obvious flaws.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 am 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:18 pm
Posts: 1208
Location: The Netherlands
Rocco wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:
JJ Abrams to write and direct 9... What the hell? Didn't they get the memo that Episode 7 sucked?


It didn't suck. It was actually quite good for not being original or taking a single risk. I love it despite it's obvious flaws.


Precisely this.

_________________
Me. - My company.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Eureka, CA
T-jones wrote:
Rocco wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:
JJ Abrams to write and direct 9... What the hell? Didn't they get the memo that Episode 7 sucked?


It didn't suck. It was actually quite good for not being original or taking a single risk. I love it despite it's obvious flaws.


Precisely this.


Why even go to a movie if it's not going to be original or take a single risk?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:14 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am
Posts: 2655
Location: UK
There are no characters from the original trilogy in the first 40 minutes of The Force Awakens.

(It's also the best part of the film, and the reason why I'm excited to see JJ take a second go at Star Wars.)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Eureka, CA
Day Glo wrote:
There are no characters from the original trilogy in the first 40 minutes of The Force Awakens.

(It's also the best part of the film, and the reason why I'm excited to see JJ take a second go at Star Wars.)


I'm not so sure BB-8 is a really a different character from R2D2... for example
Whether you liked Force Awakens or not, I think it would be kind of hard to put up a good debate advocating the originality of it.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm
Posts: 1078
rcj_yay wrote:
Day Glo wrote:
There are no characters from the original trilogy in the first 40 minutes of The Force Awakens.

(It's also the best part of the film, and the reason why I'm excited to see JJ take a second go at Star Wars.)


I'm not so sure BB-8 is a really a different character from R2D2... for example
Whether you liked Force Awakens or not, I think it would be kind of hard to put up a good debate advocating the originality of it.


BB-8 really is quite different from R2D2. In fact, if it was a different franchise (or if R2D2 was less than the most iconic droid in movie history), the comparison probably wouldn't even be made. Not saying you're wrong - in fact, I sort of agree with you. But Disney was fighting a losing battle and, to me, they absolutely pulled it off.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Eureka, CA
Rocco wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:
Day Glo wrote:
There are no characters from the original trilogy in the first 40 minutes of The Force Awakens.

(It's also the best part of the film, and the reason why I'm excited to see JJ take a second go at Star Wars.)


I'm not so sure BB-8 is a really a different character from R2D2... for example
Whether you liked Force Awakens or not, I think it would be kind of hard to put up a good debate advocating the originality of it.


BB-8 really is quite different from R2D2. In fact, if it was a different franchise (or if R2D2 was less than the most iconic droid in movie history), the comparison probably wouldn't even be made. Not saying you're wrong - in fact, I sort of agree with you. But Disney was fighting a losing battle and, to me, they absolutely pulled it off.


BB-8 is an orange, round version of R2D2. Rey is a basically a girl version of Luke. First Order Stormtroopers are a new version of Stormtroopers. Kylo Ren's character literally tries to copy Darth Vadar by wearing a similar mask. If you picked 10,000 random people, there's a 100% chance Max Von Sydow would look more like Alec Guiness than 100% of them (using 3 significant figures), but isn't really a significant character. Finn is basically an original character. I would say Poe is an original character, but I'm surprised that he was able to squeeze into Luke's pilot outfit after all these years.

The good news is that JJ Abrams pretty much already copied just about every thing he could possibly copy, so unless he copies himself in Ep 9, he'll sort of have to come up with something new. I predict he'll start borrowing characters and plots from one of Michelle Obama's speeches.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Eureka, CA
Did I say JJ Abrams... I meant Kathy Kennedy.

Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited