Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:13 pm 
Upper Crust

It was pretty rainy (and muddy) that day, no one would have noticed. Probably.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:03 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I suppose we could all simply be overlooking the fact that the first movie is called "The Force Awakens", as in, maybe Rey had no connection to the force through bloodlines at all, and it simply "awoke" inside her. Granted, with the whole missing family thing... we all know that's not going to be the case.

Justin... It's still so funny to me that somehow my San Clemente based family missed out on the period of time you and Rian were at SCHS. My father and my four uncles all went to SCHS, and then later all my cousins, etc, went through it as well, but none of my seven cousins went there until after 1995-ish. Meanwhile I grew up in Colorado. I do love me some San Clemente, although I'm not sure exactly what it's becoming down there, especially with the big ugly fucking outlet mall they just built overlooking Pico.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:03 pm 
Upper Crust

Hey, I just found out Rian was a PA on a video of a band that another friend from high school later joined (and married one of the guys from the band). What's even weirder is I saw both of them on my trip last month.

Want more? A friend sent me an IM today about this regrettable movie, where yet another SCHS alumnus made the cover/poster.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, though: Emilie de Ravin finished filming Brick and immediately went off to Hawaii to film some TV show, co-starring SCHS alum (and friend of Rian) Jorge Garcia. The director of that show? JJ Abrams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:21 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Justin wrote:
Hey, I just found out Rian was a PA on a video of a band that another friend from high school later joined (and married one of the guys from the band). What's even weirder is I saw both of them on my trip last month.

Want more? A friend sent me an IM today about this regrettable movie, where yet another SCHS alumnus made the cover/poster.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, though: Emilie de Ravin finished filming Brick and immediately went off to Hawaii to film some TV show, co-starring SCHS alum (and friend of Rian) Jorge Garcia. The director of that show? JJ Abrams.

Hah! I had no idea Jorge went to SCHS. That's awesome.

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:25 pm 
Upper Crust

I knew him a bit then, he was a friend of a friend of a friend. Funny dude.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:28 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Justin wrote:
It was pretty rainy (and muddy) that day, no one would have noticed. Probably.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 am 
Upper Crust

Chad Peter wrote:
Justin wrote:

Hah! I had no idea Jorge went to SCHS. That's awesome.

That's some outstanding six degrees.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:28 pm 
Upper Crust

I just saw Force Awakens again and I have to say it is much better the second time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:00 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Was thinking about the growth of the characters:

As far as growth goes, there's as much or more than anything seen by the main characters in ANH.

Finn goes from Stormtrooper following orders to questioning them. He takes a risk and defects with a rebel. He considers running away but falls hard for a girl and finds the fight and cause he was looking for all his life.

Rey goes from naively believing the people who left her on Jakuu were going to come back (it's why she stayed) to coming to terms with abandonment. Normally fiercely independent, and unwilling to accept help from men, she comes to realize that friendships beyond home made dolls and imagination have merit. She realizes a sense of purpose and a hidden ability she never knew she had and wields it with her creativity and vast imagination far faster than Luke, who was originally held back by doubt. Her world has been rocked. From being blown away by the amount of green in the world to witnessing mass genocide she's been forced to go from girl to young woman. She seals this transition with a rather innocent but affectionate kiss on a man she didn't want to hold her hand at first. She's no longer a girl waiting to be rescued by the people who left her. She's moving forward with her life.

Kylo Ren goes from menacing and confident to doubting his ability to reach his Dark side potential becsuse of his moral concsious. He unwittingly opens his mind up to the most powerful Force user he's ever encountered, revealing training techniques he spent years learning to her in seconds. He kills his own father hoping that the closure will numb his concsious permanently and we're still not sure if it does. He's captivated by Rey and doesn't seem to know why.

Poe is a supporting character (albeit one oozing with charisma) with only a few scenes. His growth is obviously more limited but I'm sure he came to realize that the some of the enemy are just regular dudes like him who happen to be on the other side.

Han realizes the bachelor life he's been living as of late and all the headaches ain't what they used to be. He realizes he lost something when he lost his family and his own sense of purpose. He starts by setting out to find the Falcon in a bid to recapture the good ol' days but then realizes he has a lot of unresolved issues still involving his family and Luke and he sets out to pick up the pieces of his broken home and rebuild. There's genuine disappointment in his voice as he speaks of Luke. Is it becsuse of what happened with his own son? Or becsuse Luke blamed himself and left all of them afterward? He knows it won't be easy but he also knows that it's something he needs to do for himself. He needs to know with certainty if he could bring Ben back or not. He also knows that Leia needs this closure even worse. She's distracted herself with what she does best and isn't quite herself and he wants to help her, too. Han has gone from one of the most selfish to one of the most considerate.

Chewie loses his best friend at the hands of a boy he likely played with and has fond memories of. He only knows this life around humans now. The life debt has ended. He more than held up his end of the bargain for decades of friendship. He can't go back to an ordinary life among other Wookies. Adventure and protection are all he knows.