Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:43 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm 
Hash Head

Episode 7 would have been enjoyable if I hadn't already watched Episodes 4 and 5.
In that case, I would've merely rated it as just a so-so action movie.
Of course, I'm not expressing everyone's opinion, just mine. These are not indisputable facts, just opinions.
I understand that a lot of people love this movie. Not me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:39 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Rocco wrote:
JulesKD wrote:
I'm going to see it again Tuesday. I'm bringing my 8 year old cousin. It's his first Star War. :lol: I hope I'm not a sobbing mess again. I've got to try to contain all the feels.

is he going in without having seen any of the others, or do you just mean in the theater? I'm really interested in people watching sequels/prequels before their predecessors. My brother's friend hadn't seen any SW movies, so my brother made him start with the prequels and he actually liked them ALL.
\

He's seen TPM, when he was like 5 or something. :/ I keep trying to get him to watch the others. But his parents aren't big movie folks, so they're probably not going to get around to it. I did give him an illustrated book about the first three movies for Xmas. :)

THe movies might seem dated to an eight year old. But maybe not. I showed all 3 to my other cousins when they were 10 and 7, right after TPM came out. The at-the-time 10 year old became a lifelong fan. He's 27 now and last night we had an hour-long conversation about SW. :D

So I'll take my 8 year old cousin to see TFA, and maybe from there he'll get obsessed enough to want to watch the old ones.

(My own boy is not old enough for movie theaters yet. Maybe by the time the next one comes out. ^_^ )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:13 am 
Fearless Flyer

JulesKD wrote:
...But his parents aren't big movie folks, so they're probably not going to get around to it.

I don't understand how people (my father included) can live their lives without movies to distract them!

p.s. this was my 666 post. Just sayin'

Last edited by Chad Peter on Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 pm 
Fearless Flyer

^ I KNOOOOOOW! They don't like to read, either. But I guess some people are just sorta like that. Me, I need that fantasy, that escape and the imagination.

So a friend of mine started a SW chat on FB, and it got me thinking, so I have a few more thoughts. Mostly copied from what I said to him:

All right, so now that I've calmed down a bit: my main complaint was really, NOT ENOUGH LEIA. She really didn't do much, when she could and should have. In the discarded canon (>_< ) she was a powerful Jedi in her own right. I understand that we're not going with the old canon anymore (grrr i spent 30 years reading those!) but it's still canon that she always was the other Jedi Skywalker. Where are her Force powers? Why can't she confront Kylo Ren herself? Why is she just behind the scenes?

On the other hand, I don't have any problem with Rey's progression, because I've literally been watching male heroes become Big Damn Heroes overnight since the womb, practically. The whole "but midichlorians, he's SPESHUL" bullshit with Anakin for instance. And I have no problem with her fight with Kylo Ren because A) I think in part maybe he didn't want to kill her? B) she obviously knows how to handle herself; they set that up in the beginning and C) I'm kinda convinced she has had Jedi training already and has been made to forget.

I'm also not bothered by it being "too much like ANH." Star Wars is too much like Star Wars? Life goes in cycles. A series this long must have cycles, too. It's just reflective of real life. That's really what I love about SciFi: no matter how outlandish the ideas, the tech, etc, it still mirrors the cycles we live in our human lives.

There was something else but I forgot what it was! I'll come up with it later. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:23 am 
Upper Crust

I believe this is the image you are looking for:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:22 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ :lol:

I'm going to see it again in about an hour. I can't wait! I'm going to pay even mor attention this time because I won't be crying.

OR WILL I

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:04 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Back!

A little backstory. My cousin' kid ("Boychild," I always called him,) is 8, almost 9. He is adopted, and has always been the center of his parents' universe. Until last year when they adopted a 2 year old with extremely high needs. Since then, Boychild--always the sweetest kid ever--has been totally acting up. Breaking things, acting out, pushing his little brother around and giving his parents all kinds of hell.

Before he saw the movie, he thought Kylo Ren was absolutely the coolest. He LOVED the Sith, the red lightsabers, the SW fight scenes he watched on youtube. He had a Kylo Ren poster above his bed. He had said that if he could use the Force, he would use it to make his Mom do whatever he said, so that he could have all the power he needed.

After the movie, I drove him home and we talked about how he felt about the movie. He told me that he loved it, but Kylo Ren scared him. I asked him why. I mean, all the fights! The power! The lightsaber!

"He just did. He was scary. I can't find the right words."

I explained to him that, as a Mom, Kylo Ren scared me because you could be the best parent in the world to your child, and you could love them as much as anyone ever, but they could still turn to the Dark Side, and that was one of my biggest fears. (Which is true. Second viewing, Kylo Ren felt like every drug-and-crime metaphor from every after school special. The kind of stuff I've seen with older friends' kids and thought, "What went wrong? They were loved.")

Anyway, I drove Boychild home and walked him inside. He ran to his bedroom and ripped down his Kylo Ren poster, actually tore it and took it to the trash. (Me: "OMG NO! I'LL TAKE IT!" :lol: )

He totally renounced the Dark Side and wanted to get rid of his red lightsaber, and get a green one instead.

Of course, this will only last until the next time he doesn't get what he wants, because, you know, he's 8, and that's how 8 year olds roll. But even so, it really made an impact on him. I think Star Wars is really heavy sometimes, and it's also an awesome way to get kids to talk about things like making good choices or whatever.

YKWIM?

I also noticed a lot of things I missed the first time around, which I will get into later, if no one minds.

Oh, crap, and it occurred to me that Adam Driver looks HELLA LIKE ME. I was wondering the whole time what it was about his face that, IDK, gnawed at me or reminded me of something or someone, and duh, he looks like me, shit! And my little kid could seriously look just like him when he grows up. http://la-belle-laide.tumblr.com/post/136230889639/star-wars-spoilers-and-pics-and-adult-fear See what I mean? (Which also sent me into a total panic because OMG WHAT IF HE TURNS OUT BAD TOO, yes, it sucks to have anxiety. :lol: )

Anyway. More later, but I just wanted to share that story about my cousin's kid.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Back!

A little backstory. My cousin' kid ("Boychild," I always called him,) is 8, almost 9. He is adopted, and has always been the center of his parents' universe. Until last year when they adopted a 2 year old with extremely high needs. Since then, Boychild--always the sweetest kid ever--has been totally acting up. Breaking things, acting out, pushing his little brother around and giving his parents all kinds of hell.

Before he saw the movie, he thought Kylo Ren was absolutely the coolest. He LOVED the Sith, the red lightsabers, the SW fight scenes he watched on youtube. He had a Kylo Ren poster above his bed. He had said that if he could use the Force, he would use it to make his Mom do whatever he said, so that he could have all the power he needed.

After the movie, I drove him home and we talked about how he felt about the movie. He told me that he loved it, but Kylo Ren scared him. I asked him why. I mean, all the fights! The power! The lightsaber!

"He just did. He was scary. I can't find the right words."

I explained to him that, as a Mom, Kylo Ren scared me because you could be the best parent in the world to your child, and you could love them as much as anyone ever, but they could still turn to the Dark Side, and that was one of my biggest fears. (Which is true. Second viewing, Kylo Ren felt like every drug-and-crime metaphor from every after school special. The kind of stuff I've seen with older friends' kids and thought, "What went wrong? They were loved.")

Anyway, I drove Boychild home and walked him inside. He ran to his bedroom and ripped down his Kylo Ren poster, actually tore it and took it to the trash. (Me: "OMG NO! I'LL TAKE IT!" :lol: )

He totally renounced the Dark Side and wanted to get rid of his red lightsaber, and get a green one instead.

Of course, this will only last until the next time he doesn't get what he wants, because, you know, he's 8, and that's how 8 year olds roll. But even so, it really made an impact on him. I think Star Wars is really heavy sometimes, and it's also an awesome way to get kids to talk about things like making good choices or whatever.

YKWIM?

What are you, a writer? :D

That's such an awesome story.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:33 pm 
Fearless Flyer

:D

I just have a lot of Star Wars feels, SO MUCH FEEL

(Note: I did keep that Kylo Ren poster ^_^ )

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:01 am 
Upper Crust

That amazing story will make the tear in the poster extra special.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:15 pm 
Fearless Flyer

That's kinda hilarious. Or, not "kinda" - it IS hilarious.

Saw the movie an absurd SIXTH time last night, along with the entire House of Cards post production team (LOL). This was the first time I'd seen it in 3D (laser), and I'm glad I'd seen it 5 times in 2D beforehand. Not because the 3D was bad, but 2D just feel more natural for this saga. I'm probably done seeing it in the theaters at this point. Maybe once more come February, but for now my excitement level for Rian's VIII is somewhere around 187%.

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:23 am 
Upper Crust

Jules, I hope you don't mind that I've been telling that story to everyone (and probably bastardizing it to a degree. SORRY!). It's a crowd-pleaser!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:49 am 
Fearless Flyer

LOL please go ahead!

In fact, yesterday, i saw him outside with his other cousin playing lightsaber fights, and he wouldn't use the red one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Kylo it will be a good guy?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:05 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Chad Peter wrote:
I don't understand how people (my father included) can live their lives without movies to distract them!

Because they are stronger than you.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next