Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:05 pm 
Upper Crust

So I've had time to digest the film and I really think that the whole thing would have benefited if the movie opened with Harrison Ford. The whole film would have been better if he had started from the beginning. Having him just run on the ship is where it lost me. If Ford was already on Jakku looking for the Falcon I think his death would have meant more to me. I'm just sayin. That being said I think making this a New Hope remake was the right decision.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:09 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Neil_Leach wrote:
Chad Peter wrote:
I don't understand how people (my father included) can live their lives without movies to distract them!

Because they are stronger than you.

Clearly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
So I've had time to digest the film and I really think that the whole thing would have benefited if the movie opened with Harrison Ford.

Precisely. In my theater the crowd erupted with the appearance of H.Ford and not before.
My sense of the response was one of relief or "It's about (colorful metaphor) time!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Neil_Leach wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:
So I've had time to digest the film and I really think that the whole thing would have benefited if the movie opened with Harrison Ford.

Precisely. In my theater the crowd erupted with the appearance of H.Ford and not before.
My sense of the response was one of relief or "It's about (colorful metaphor) time!"

Ford helps with the familiarity aspect, but Rey still is the most enjoyable character to watch.

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:56 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I keep forgetting to mention this. It was just one of those cool little things I noticed the second time around. When Maz tells Rey that she can't bring back the people who left her on Jakku, but there is someone she could bring back, of course initially I thought it was Luke Skywalker since everyone's all looking for him and whatnot. Second time around, I thought she meant Ben.

IDK, just thought that was neat!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:20 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
I keep forgetting to mention this. It was just one of those cool little things I noticed the second time around. When Maz tells Rey that she can't bring back the people who left her on Jakku, but there is someone she could bring back, of course initially I thought it was Luke Skywalker since everyone's all looking for him and whatnot. Second time around, I thought she meant Ben.

IDK, just thought that was neat!

WHOA I love this theory.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am 
Fearless Flyer

Wouldn't that be cool? It would have to be handled with so much care though, because you know, genocidal little shit and all of that.

I mean, it worked beautifully at the end of ROTJ; Vader's redemption was pretty perfect. Hard to pull off something of that level again.

Still, I really feel like they have to give him some redemption, IDK. And Rey (of light) would be the one to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:34 am 
Upper Crust

Been mulling things over some more (and I think I need to go see it again) and I just wanted to mention that there was some clever lighting going on.

In Kylo Ren's scenes with Snoke, they're primarily lit from off-screen coming from the right, and it's particularly striking in the scene where it's just the two of them. Then in the scene where he kills Han, he's lit from the left with Rey and Finn standing in the light. The first two times I saw it, during the second scene I just thought "Man, that's straight off a storyboard," but the more I consider it I think there's a fairly obvious message here. And I don't recall this specifically, but apparently the lighting on Ren's face goes from blue to red as he does the deed.

I apologize for my absurdly non-technical terms here, I don't make film of the movies or whatever it's called.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Huffington Post had a guesswork opinion piece on the many ways "why Rey is Obi Wan's daughter". Had some interesting points, but none Lucas would have ever knowingly incorporated into the original six movies. Curious how far JJ and Kasdan thought it through before handing it off to our boy wonder over here (and how many kicks is Rian getting from watching us flail about in guessing what's to come). I liked the idea of Rey being a Skywalker... but after reading the Huffington Post article, I kinda want to see THAT happen. Sure I'll love it either way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostro ... 11656.html

Buddy: If you were me, you'd be good-lookin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:20 pm 
Upper Crust

That is really, really thin stuff. I'd really prefer if she wasn't anyone's relative, actually. Her parentage (and their desertion/abduction) is obviously going to be important, but it really does not need to be one (or two) families determining the fate of the galaxy over several generations.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:53 pm 
Fearless Flyer

HUH! I actually really like that theory! I could get on board with that for sure. (My sticking point: She looks so much like Amidala, it seemed to me that had to be on purpose. But maybe not.)

Which leads to the question: WHO BANGED OBI WAN KENOBI?

Hopefully, it will be revealed that it was me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:51 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Which leads to the question: WHO BANGED OBI WAN KENOBI?

On the off chance it wasn't you, I might have another answer: In the Clone Wars animated series, which I think Disney wants to keep as being part of the official canon, Ol' Obi has an unspoken love (crouching tiger hidden dragon style) with a Mandalorian Duchess called Satine Kryze. It references the relationship between Anakin and Padme, and shows what would have happened if They'd remained professionals and didn't act on their emotions. It was a cool and kinda heartbreaking side plot. According to Wookieepedia: "The Republic sent two Jedi Knights, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, on an extended mission to Mandalore. They spent a year on Mandalore protecting the young Duchess, from the hostile insurgents threatening her world, and Kryze and Kenobi grew close to each other. Despite his feelings toward her, Kenobi continued with his training and was reassigned. Kenobi later stated that had Kryze asked him to stay with her, he would have left the Jedi Order to be with her."

Yes, I'm a nerd.

Justin wrote:
And I don't recall this specifically, but apparently the lighting on Ren's face goes from blue to red as he does the deed.

The red light was always there. He was lit red, from the hall they were in, and blue (or actually probably white) from the dying sun outside, that shines in like a beam from behind Rey and Finn. When the sun dies, because the planet ate it up, the light behind Rey and Finn dies out, leaving only the red light from inside the hall. This is of course perfectly timed with Kylo not handing over his lightsaber as much as we first thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:11 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
(My sticking point: She looks so much like Amidala, it seemed to me that had to be on purpose. But maybe not.)
I'm 100% sure that Saoirse Ronan read for Rey during the casting process, who doesn't look very much like Portman. Plus, the open casting call made a point of saying they were auditioning actors of any ethnicity. They might still make Rey a Skywalker, but I don't think that was always the plan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:09 am 
Upper Crust

Well we don't know the ethnicity of Luke's wife/girlfriend/rathtar, so I don't know if the casting call proves that she wasn't supposed to be a Skywalker. It's anybody's guess, really.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:03 am 
Upper Crust

Oh, I just meant that they auditioned a lot of people who did not resemble Natalie Portman at all, so Daisy Ridley's resemblance to her is likely (co)incidental rather than deliberate.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next