Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:48 am 
Upper Crust

Going to say it again today with my little sister (8) so expect another post if I have time.

Chad Peter wrote:
3.) Fin's intro. Wait, what? Back up the truck... A stormtrooper with feelings? The movie smartly glossed over it and kept running, but it was a LOT to swallow, given we've never seen, in canon, a stormtrooper with any sort of conscious what-so-ever.

I actually really liked this plot development, ever since the first trailer (perhaps before) I'd been excited to see a stormtrooper 'go good'. I was worried for a bit the trailer was a fake-out, as people predicted he was just hiding in their armor (ala a New Hope) and I'm glad we got the real deal.
It was a little disconcerting that they continued to mow down the rest of the stormtroopers as regular cannon fodder though, even Finn didn't seem to have any problems murdering his old colleagues. We got one line of hand-wavy dialogue that he was different for some reason and managed to resist his programming but the idea that the other soldiers are just brain-washed isn't great either (there's still good people in there somewhere).
Overall I still like the concept though as it fleshes out the other side of the universe and leaves lots of potential areas for sequels, spin-offs and dare-I-say prequels to explore. It's certainly better than them all being clones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:06 pm 
Upper Crust

Kzap wrote:
Going to say it again today with my little sister (8) so expect another post if I have time.

Chad Peter wrote:
3.) Fin's intro. Wait, what? Back up the truck... A stormtrooper with feelings? The movie smartly glossed over it and kept running, but it was a LOT to swallow, given we've never seen, in canon, a stormtrooper with any sort of conscious what-so-ever.

I actually really liked this plot development, ever since the first trailer (perhaps before) I'd been excited to see a stormtrooper 'go good'. I was worried for a bit the trailer was a fake-out, as people predicted he was just hiding in their armor (ala a New Hope) and I'm glad we got the real deal.
It was a little disconcerting that they continued to mow down the rest of the stormtroopers as regular cannon fodder though, even Finn didn't seem to have any problems murdering his old colleagues. We got one line of hand-wavy dialogue that he was different for some reason and managed to resist his programming but the idea that the other soldiers are just brain-washed isn't great either (there's still good people in there somewhere).
Overall I still like the concept though as it fleshes out the other side of the universe and leaves lots of potential areas for sequels, spin-offs and dare-I-say prequels to explore. It's certainly better than them all being clones.

Yeah Finn was easily my favorite part of this whole film. Put an everyman in there! Rey is cool and all, but she's almost perfect. Adorable, she can fix anything, Han Solo offers her a job, she gets the force and fights the bad guy. Boom. But Finn lies, falls in love, has to get rescued, lies for love, tries to do the right thing, and ultimately succeeds! The only other new character was Poe and he was just kinda a nice guy pretty face. I look forward to their friendship in Star Wars Episode VIII: Legends of the Hidden Temple.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:12 pm 
Upper Crust

So wait, you're saying that the last crusade is where the raiders go to the temple of doom?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:46 am 
Fearless Flyer

Can we stop calling Rey a Mary Sue and saying stuff about how she's "too good?" For ages--forEVER--male characters have been allowed to be too good, too powerful, too cool, and no one has questioned it. Rey is just doing what Star Wars characters traditionally do. The only difference is, she's a girl.

And yes, it took me a while to realize that, too. The "OMG A MARY SUE" stuff is so ingrained in our culture, we're kind of not supposed to notice that most of these super heroes are Gary Stues when they're men. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:19 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Can we stop calling Rey a Mary Sue and saying stuff about how she's "too good?" For ages--forEVER--male characters have been allowed to be too good, too powerful, too cool, and no one has questioned it. Rey is just doing what Star Wars characters traditionally do. The only difference is, she's a girl.

And yes, it took me a while to realize that, too. The "OMG A MARY SUE" stuff is so ingrained in our culture, we're kind of not supposed to notice that most of these super heroes are Gary Stues when they're men. :)

This is a non-issue. You're absolutely right and anyone saying otherwise is a turd.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:13 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hey. Does anybody know how a person can submit for Rian Johnson's consideration for Star Wars? Is there an open casting call or something?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:37 pm 
Upper Crust

Someone has to be that person, I guess it's my turn:

They're starting filming very soon--in a few weeks, I think--so the casting is all set already, aside from whatever "big group of extras" stuff they may be doing in a few months. That's probably mostly also set too, but checking with casting agencies around London (where the bulk of shooting is going on) could possibly maybe bear fruit.

As for a direct appeal to Rian, I really doubt that the casting of anyone is anywhere near his radar, as he has the massive responsibility of actually shooting the movie on his plate for the next couple of months.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Thank you so much for the answer:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:26 pm 
Hash Head

Okay, I've had more time to digest Episode 7.
Assessment downgraded from bad to horrible.

Top 10 worst movies I've ever seen.

Unoriginal.
Formulaic.
Boring.

It felt like one of those best-of episodes of an 80's sitcom, where the whole 30 minutes consisted of clips of previous episodes. I think I recall Full House having one of those. For another example, the episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Riker is about to die, and the show flashes back to clips of previous episodes of all the good times had.

I have no need to ever, ever see it ever again.

Here are some more interesting, more original, and just plain better movies:
1) Short Circuit 2
2) Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
3) Forever Young
4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
5) Quigley Down Under
6) Kindergarten Cop

Very frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:23 pm 
Upper Crust

K

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:55 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I'm going to see it again Tuesday. I'm bringing my 8 year old cousin. It's his first Star War. :lol: I hope I'm not a sobbing mess again. I've got to try to contain all the feels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:02 pm 
Fearless Flyer

rcj_yay wrote:

If you want to see some bad movies, I'll gladly line up a fat list for you. By starting off your argument by saying "Force Awakens" is in your bottom 10, you might as well be telling us your opinion doesn't count. Go watch a movie called "Midnight Mass" and get back to us on your definition of "worst". I commend you for one thing, however: You've given new meaning to "pie-pan grease".

Last edited by Chad Peter on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:03 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
I'm going to see it again Tuesday. I'm bringing my 8 year old cousin. It's his first Star War. :lol: I hope I'm not a sobbing mess again. I've got to try to contain all the feels.

is he going in without having seen any of the others, or do you just mean in the theater? I'm really interested in people watching sequels/prequels before their predecessors. My brother's friend hadn't seen any SW movies, so my brother made him start with the prequels and he actually liked them ALL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:05 pm 
Upper Crust

Chad Peter wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:

If you want to see some bad movies, I'll gladly line up a fat list for you. By starting off your argument by saying "Force Awakens" is in your bottom 10, you might as well be telling us your opinion doesn't count. Go watch a movie called "Midnight Mass" and get back to us on your definition of "worst".

I'm betting it's just a troll and not someone who has only seen 16 movies. If it is someone who was truly so disappointed in TFA that they hated it THAT much, then I am genuinely curious.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:08 pm 
Upper Crust

I couldn't think of a good response when Rocco was the only person who had replied, and quoting their post would be ridiculous.

(I came back to respond with "Talk a walk, Sharon." Why Sharon? I don't know.)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next