Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:10 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:54 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Another AMAZING article that veerrrrrry well illustrates the hurtful (I know it was't intended) disappointment of how Finn was presented and then handled:
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... akens.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:26 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

What is the problem if a person is black or white, we are totally equals. The people who says this it's just the conservative people. BTW Daisy Ridley is so beautiful, and i have to say it, more than Leia and Padme.

Greetings!

PD: Merry Christmas, here it's 1:22 a.m. of the 25.
PD: Sorry for my english.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:15 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Diiego wrote:
What is the problem if a person is black or white, we are totally equals. The people who says this it's just the conservative people. BTW Daisy Ridley is so beautiful, and i have to say it, more than Leia and Padme.

Greetings!

PD: Merry Christmas, here it's 1:22 a.m. of the 25.
PD: Sorry for my english.

Well I think the problem is that, at least in America, we do not have equality yet. We just don't. White people still overwhelmingly benefit from privileges and representation, particularly in Hollywood. People are CREATED equal but certainly not TREATED as equals.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:32 pm 
Upper Crust

I'm just gonna jump in here and say I agree that the end of the film did mistreat Finn.

I think the idea was to "Empire Strikes Back" him seeing as the whole movie was one giant (awesome) reboot; but I do think that it is super lame that he just got backslashed and then falls asleep. There's a big difference between carbonate and some dude sleeping at the end of the movie! (Personally I think the next movie will start somewhere in-media-res so we don't have to deal with the "WILL FINN WAKE UP?!" plotline.)

I really just want them to bring back Billy D for the sequels. It be great to have more than 1 black protagonist per trilogy. Hell, bring back Samuel L. Jackson too as a ghost jedi!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:21 am 
Fearless Flyer

^ YES! He could be a Force ghost! Star Wars has always kind of been "straight white men" movies, with a few scattered roles for people of color, and basically two good roles for women. Be real nice to see more representation. These new movies look like they are heading at least in the right direction. I have no doubts about Rian! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:34 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I really hope they don't neuter Finn by making him a cyborg or Force Ghost....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:55 pm 
Upper Crust

I'm fairly confident that the "I was taken from my family and don't remember them at all" bit will result in him having some significant parentage or uncle/aunt-age.

Also, the more I reflect on the series as a whole, the underlying theme is "The Skywalker Family Fucks Up Again".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:35 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Well I mean, Luke is a cyborg too. Isn't anyone who has any robotic parts a cyborg? If you think about it, we have actual cyborgs among us - which is pretty cool.

But yeah, I really don't think they are going to go that route at all!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:55 am 
Upper Crust

I mean, technically speaking, anyone who wears glasses or contact lenses is a cyborg.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:16 pm 
Fearless Flyer

:D I love living in the future.

Also, I don't think they *could* make him a Force ghost, because--unless we've got a surprise waiting for us--he's not a Force-user. And even if he was, that's something you have to train for for like, ages. Obi Wan was training to be a Force ghost for years, right?

Shoot, I'd love it if that was a real thing. Wouldn't that be so great, if people could be Force ghosts? Death would mean nothing. Everyone would train to be a Jedi.

Sorry for getting off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:26 pm 
Upper Crust

Can I add: I agree that Finn was denied an independent victory (all of his victories early on are shared). But he's also the only heroic character in the film with a full arc. Given how much of the film is given over to power fantasies, it really sucks that he didn't get better service in the script, but I hope there's some comfort in his growth and development as a character.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:21 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I mean, technically speaking, anyone who wears glasses or contact lenses is a cyborg.

This has blown my mind more than anything today.

Although Finn didn't have a lot of huge heroic moments, he was for me the most heroic character, because even if he doesn't do as many 'cool' or 'independent' things as Rey/Poe/Han, he's a nobody. He's not some hero. He's cannon fodder, he's someone nobody would think twice about, in the company of heroes, so his little spark of Rebellion takes more courage than most of the other character's heroic antics. Not trying to defend the movie or anything, I clearly see where this thread it coming from, but this is just how I interpreted the film and his character when I saw it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:31 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Finn was the most heroic, most fun, and I think the best character.

But like I said above, ever since I heard about casting... I thought we were going to get a black hero on an equal level to any white one I've seen in fantasy/sci-fi. Instead... I got the usual comedy relief and to see him get taken down. Inheritor of nothing. :|

I hope that changes in the next movies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:37 am 
Upper Crust

He had a crappy ending for sure, but I think that was purely to set up Rey's journey to Luke so she could do it alone. He was brave and heroic and ridiculous throughout (he bluffed the entire Resistance into thinking he could get the shields down!). I really doubt he becomes just another sidekick and Rey is simply the "Luke" of the saga. Star Wars is a big canvas, there's more than enough room for Two Main Hero-Types.

He's definitely got some juice, Force or otherwise--out of how many zillion Stormtroopers, he's the only one that broke completely free?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:25 am 
Fearless Flyer

I think Finn *could have* gone along with Rey at the end, and waited in the car like everyone else. ;) I don't know why he didn't. I get how irksome that is. It feels like a cheat.

So I'm really hoping that he'll get much more to do in the next one. Finn was so much fun and there is so much about him to go further into.

Like, compare him with someone like Ben/Kylo Ren, who was born and raised to good parents in the "light side" of the Force, and yet he turns out rotten. And Finn, with no family that he knows of, brainwashed into the Dark Side all his life, and yet he has nothing but goodness inside.

So that right there is an awesome hero setup, and he really did get the short end of the stick at the end. I hope the next two movies do better by him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next