Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:15 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Yeah... thing was, all the promotional materials got me and other black people that have never seen a minority get to be the Luke hero were just so amped. And then when you find out Rey's the heir....... ouch. Well, maybe he can have the Falcon and be the Han of the series?

Nope. Rey flies off with both. So she gets to be Luke AND Han and Finn.... after all the promise and hope, gets to be a funny sidekick and knocked unconscious. A role black people are all too familiar with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:36 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I really hope that will change, and that they will highlight is role in future movies. I see exactly what you are saying!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
:D He hasn't been around in a while. But hopefully he'll be back around soon!

I think he lurks much more than he posts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:53 pm 
Fearless Flyer

*waves to Rian lurking in the corner*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:09 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

actually he's a fly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:08 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
I think Finn *could have* gone along with Rey at the end, and waited in the car like everyone else. ;) I don't know why he didn't. I get how irksome that is. It feels like a cheat.

The reason he didn't is because Episode 8 will open with Finn having finally healed from his wounds and having immediately gone after Rey. He lands on Luke's planet and finds Luke there, who spent the last months training Rey to use the force. Our heroes are united, the time-jump between episodes accomplished while delivering on the cliffhanger of Episode 7. Or, you know, it could be something else entirely.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:17 pm 
Upper Crust

I'd expect 8 to open with Finn and Poe on a mission together.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 pm 
Fearless Flyer

^ Ideal!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:35 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:

This. I think we'll get a time jump longer than "when Finn wakes up" to start off the next episode. Finn will really be part of the resistance now - he and Poe will be out cleaning up the remnants of the First Order (believing they've been mostly wiped out after the destruction of Starkiller Base, whether that's true or not). They'll get themselves into a sticky situation, and a pair of buddy Jedis will show up to save their skins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:36 pm 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Day Glo wrote:

This. I think we'll get a time jump longer than "when Finn wakes up" to start off the next episode. Finn will really be part of the resistance now - he and Poe will be out cleaning up the remnants of the First Order (believing they've been mostly wiped out after the destruction of Starkiller Base, whether that's true or not). They'll get themselves into a sticky situation, and a pair of buddy Jedis will show up to save their skins.

I want the Luke reveal in 8 to be awesome, so not opening on him and Rey will be ideal. Especially because the applause breaks for all of the character reveals are going to be nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:43 pm 
Upper Crust

I've never been in an audience that applauds during the film. The only non-festival screening I've been to with any applause at all was when the audience (bafflingly) clapped at the end of Tom Hooper's (execrable) Les Mis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:14 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
I've never been in an audience that applauds during the film. The only non-festival screening I've been to with any applause at all was when the audience (bafflingly) clapped at the end of Tom Hooper's (execrable) Les Mis.

Holy shit, I want to live there then. I actually kind of hate it when people clap at the end of movies and I REALLY hate forced laughter or extra loud gasping ("Ohh my! He was his dad! Hey, I get it! Does anyone else get it?!"). I have been in screeenings, though, where the audience actually made the movie way better. The semi-recent Friday the 13th movie is the best example. HUGE reactions to the kills and some hilarious people making jokes (that were genuinely funny and didn't ruin the movie at all-not that it was any good to begin with). There's a time and a place I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:13 pm 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Day Glo wrote:

Holy shit, I want to live there then. I actually kind of hate it when people clap at the end of movies and I REALLY hate forced laughter or extra loud gasping ("Ohh my! He was his dad! Hey, I get it! Does anyone else get it?!"). I have been in screeenings, though, where the audience actually made the movie way better. The semi-recent Friday the 13th movie is the best example. HUGE reactions to the kills and some hilarious people making jokes (that were genuinely funny and didn't ruin the movie at all-not that it was any good to begin with). There's a time and a place I guess.

I love it when I'm in a horror film and some lady screams "DON'T GO IN THERE BITCH" or something to that effect. I remember seeing Dave Chapelle's Block Party in the theatre in 2005 and just watched the audience lose it. To be fair that's a concert movie so the audience will be a little different. Hell I don't really mind texting if you're subtle about it. I feel like there's an unwritten rule that if you coverup the brightness of your screen and that the audio sounds are off that's fine. What bothers me if whispering above the volume or beeps and boops from a phone.

There are exceptions and it really makes me think about nature of the sound mix depending on the genre.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:38 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Oh god, I LOVE IT when people clap after (or during!) the movie. There were so many gasps and cheers during TFA, mostly when we first see The Millennium Falcon, when Han comes aboard, that kind of thing. And definitely applause at the end. I love that.

(I was at a movie ages ago which got a standing ovation, but damned if I can remember which. You'd think a movie like that would not escape my memory, but...)

But anyway, back to the point at hand:

If they're going to do a time-jump where Finn is out of danger and such, then why leave him in a coma to begin with? It seemed like a cop-out, to get him out of the way so that they could move the story along without his interference or something. Which is really short-changing him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:07 am 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
If they're going to do a time-jump where Finn is out of danger and such, then why leave him in a coma to begin with? It seemed like a cop-out, to get him out of the way so that they could move the story along without his interference or something. Which is really short-changing him.

Just for the sake of consequences, I guess. They needed him out of action and imperiled to force Rey to use the lightsabre (which she swore she never would), and if he'd then been fine maybe people would have complained about how quickly he healed. This way it's up to Rian what to do.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next