Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Star Wars Celebration
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 am 
Upper Crust

so, Rian says they are heading there. Looks like only day passes are available. What do you guys think? Should we go?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:03 pm 
Upper Crust

I've been to Orlando a couple of times for work over the last few years. Aside from being ordered by my boss(es) to go back, Star Wars is about the only thing that would convince me to return.

Also, I'm fairly poor right now (and flights from SF to Orlando are connection-ridden and take forever). But I do know where the good bars are around the Disney Zone. Hint: not inside the mouse perimeter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:59 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
But I do know where the good bars are around the Disney Zone. Hint: not inside the mouse perimeter.

Do tell! I'll be in the area the first week of March - my sister lives due East along the coast, so I'll be flying in/out of Orlando for a visit. My composer & her bf are also Orlando folks, so we may be hanging around there a bit!

Would have been neat if my trip lined up with the celebration, but I wasn't thinking about it when I booked my travel. Darn! They're probably stream the event online, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm 
Upper Crust

World of Beer. There are quite a few locations, I went to the Dr. Philips one. Miller's Ale House is decent, but the food was only so-so. But if you can range around, Cigar City Brewing in Tampa is beyond legit. Ybor City is an...interesting place too.

Normally I go for obscure dives over chains, but in Orlando chains are virtually unavoidable. Big plus in World of Beer's favor: they have invented (or at least perfected) BEER SHOTS. Mine was a mild lager topped off with raspberry lambic or something, very tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 am 
Upper Crust

The Last Jedi panel is tomorrow at 11am PT. Streaming live on StarWars.com.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am 
Upper Crust

Rumor has it yo' boy RCJOHNSO will be there with some sort of trailer?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 am 
Upper Crust

The panel starts at 11et not pt! I'm so sorry! I messed up! :(

If any of you guys end up missing this because of my mistake I shall never forgive myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 pm 
Upper Crust

It was great watching the livestream. Glad to see Rian so happy. Ok I'll stop fanboying now. Bye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm 
Upper Crust

I'm about to watch the stream now, but I wanted to add a silly personal note. Rian apparently went through the entire line of people waiting to get in last night, and here's the opening frisson that this creates. At the end of the video a guy in a backwards baseball cap floats in, grinning maniacally. That's my (and Rian's) buddy Derol--some of you met him at the Looper premiere. It's really weird to see people you know in these contexts.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:41 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Justin wrote:
I'm about to watch the stream now, but I wanted to add a silly personal note. Rian apparently went through the entire line of people waiting to get in last night, and here's the opening frisson that this creates. At the end of the video a guy in a backwards baseball cap floats in, grinning maniacally. That's my (and Rian's) buddy Derol--some of you met him at the Looper premiere. It's really weird to see people you know in these contexts.

Joon was there too! But he didn't make it to the late night line.

That was nuts, it was so much fun. I think it also broke the tension, so I wasn't so nervous going up on stage the next day. I had met everyone already.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:50 pm 
Upper Crust

In all the contexts of crowds I've seen you in (including that crap paparazzo at LAX) you've been pretty poised. The funniest was the Bloom screening at the Arclight, whent that one guy just said, "My friends invited me to this movie...why haven't I heard of you before?" And he was angry about it. But that is a cool way to relieve pressure, and watching the excitement on everyone's faces as realization ripples through is pretty interesting.

Derol and Joon asked why I wasn't going, and I just said "I didn't know you were going until five minutes ago, when you checked in at the airport on Facebook." But already I've been to Orlando twice, and that was three times too many.

ALSO GUYS THE BOSS CAME BACK AND VISITED