Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Teaser trailer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:18 am 
Hash Head

Congrats, Rian!

My reactions to the trailer...

From Episode III:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: It's over Anakin, I have the high ground. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader: You over estimate my power. Obi-Wan Kenobi: YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them, bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

"Balance", they say? So Rey is the chosen one who will bring balance to the force?
Wasn't there a notion that bringing balance to the force involves destroying the sith?
Did Anakin actually bring balance to the force when he threw the Emperor down the shaft? Was the Emperor the last sith?
Obviously, there are still "bad guys", but is Snoke or Kylo actually a sith, or just disturbed individuals.
The imagery on the new poster also appears to reinforce that idea that Rey is a "balance"

Sounds like "Jedi" in the title is plural, then?

No Snoke in the trailer?

The Jedi must end? What does that mean? Why would Luke say that? Maybe bringing balance to the force means that there are no more Jedi (and no more Sith?) And how would a Star Wars movie be structured without Jedi and Sith? Maybe it takes two movies (8 & 9) to sort out how to bring the balance. What would happen after balance is brought to the force? It gets out of balance again? It must be in a state of unstable equilibrium going to and fro from balance to non-balance. That way you can have more movies! It would be interesting to see a movie where balance exists throughout the whole movie, you'd have to be very creative to create a compelling story line.

Mark Hamill seems psyched about the movie. That's a very good sign for those that weren't totally in love with Ep 7.
Nice trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 am 
Fearless Flyer

Justin wrote:
I saw something in it I want to share, but I probably shouldn't yet. Just know that a lot of thought went into everything.

OMG please do! I want to know! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:48 pm 
Upper Crust

rcj_yay wrote:
Obviously, there are still "bad guys", but is Snoke or Kylo actually a sith, or just disturbed individuals.

For real. I really like this as a concept. Kylo was not trained by a Sith lord. He was trained by a Jedi - who himself never completed his training - and then taken under the wing of a despot, who may or may not have any force abilities of his own. And he's clearly the most powerful force user seen in any of the films.

The idea that Luke sees the Jedi as a flawed system that leads only to trouble doesn't mean necessarily that he won't train Rey (and the trailer certainly suggests that he will) but that the rigid dogma of the Jedi is something that he no longer believes is inherently good and worth perpetuating.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 pm 
Upper Crust

JulesKD wrote:
Justin wrote:
I saw something in it I want to share, but I probably shouldn't yet. Just know that a lot of thought went into everything.

The problem is I'm not 100% sure that the thing I'm talking about is the thing that I saw. If it's not I could be talking about things I shouldn't. Next time I see Rian (hopefully before it comes out) I'll ask him a) if the thing is the thing and b) if I can talk about it.

Don't make too much of it (and I'm sorry for being so mysterious; I'm not sure what was in that NDA, but they probably get to keep my toenails after they're done), it's only a small thing that obviously had a lot of thought put into it, which bodes well for everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
it's only a small thing that obviously had a lot of thought put into it, which bodes well for everything else.

That's what she said!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:36 am 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
JulesKD wrote:
Justin wrote:

The problem is I'm not 100% sure that the thing I'm talking about is the thing that I saw. If it's not I could be talking about things I shouldn't. Next time I see Rian (hopefully before it comes out) I'll ask him a) if the thing is the thing and b) if I can talk about it.

Don't make too much of it (and I'm sorry for being so mysterious; I'm not sure what was in that NDA, but they probably get to keep my toenails after they're done), it's only a small thing that obviously had a lot of thought put into it, which bodes well for everything else.

I heard if you violate your NDA they send a Gatman after you and close your loop.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:22 pm 
Upper Crust

That's what I'm afraid of. So in exchange for not spilling those secrets, I'll share this instead. I texted him to tell some of our buddies hi and included a lame joke. He topped it several days later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:32 pm 
Hash Head

there appear to be two unusual rock formation silhouettes in one of the trailer scenes. Can anybody make out what those look like?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am 
Upper Crust

There are generally a lot of rocks on the various planets shown in the teaser. Screenshot them?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm 
Hash Head

I'm not sure how to do a screenshot. Pick a rock, any rock. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:13 am 
Upper Crust

Windows 7+ has an application called "Snipping Tool". Use that, copy the screenshot (there's a button for it) and go to imgur.com, hit New Post at the top of the page and you can just paste (Ctrl+V in Windows) and it'll auto-upload. Copy the resulting link and smack it in here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am 
Hash Head

I appreciate the effort to explain it, Justin. I am using a Mac. It's okay, don't worry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:21 am 
Upper Crust

Those dastardly Macs! There's probably something equivalent (pretty sure they have "Print Screen" buttons, which just copies the whole screen, which you can then upload same as above) but I'm not as familiar with them.

Even timestamps of the video would work: just say at 0:38 and 1:42 or whatever. I don't mind watching it a 57th time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:44 pm 
Hash Head

Dastardly...
Alrighty-then....

Official trailer time stamp 1:08-1:10.
Two sort of pinnacles or spires in silhouette.
Probably nothing, but interesting features nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm 
Upper Crust

So this:

That's just Skellig Michael rocks as far as I know. On the right looks like Luke watching Rey practice. On the left it could be some weather-beaten Jedi statue or just a pile of rocks--it does kind of look like a robed figure with their arms crossed.

This is why teasers are fun: we get to dissect stuff frame-by-frame and wonder a bunch about it and still mostly be wrong.