Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:57 pm 
Upper Crust

Just a bit of speculation here:

Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed, Jurassic World, The Book of Henry) was attached to write & direct episode IX. It was announced earlier this summer that Jack Thorne was doing rewrites. Today, Lucasfilm announced that Trevorrow will no longer be directing the film.

Birth.Movies.Death - a site which Rian has been friendly with for some time, and for which Noah Segan occasionally writes - lists Rian as one of six contenders supposedly on Lucasfilm's shortlist for the job.

I'd imagine Lucasfilm/Disney will want to get an announcement about Trevorrow's replacement out asap (although I could imagine them delaying it until after the premiere of The Last Jedi, if Rian is the the leading contender).

Last edited by Day Glo on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Episode IX?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 pm 
Upper Crust

I was wondering if this would crop up on the forum today. I'm all for the boss to be running Star Wars!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 am 
Upper Crust

Hope the only delay in announcement is Rian negotiating that they green light an original movie of his with a grand old budget & full control in exchange for also doing IX. I have no doubt that RJ can do an excellent job running the SW universe, but I want those fresh stories, too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am 
Upper Crust

Pretty much no one has more experience and familiarity with it right now than Rian, but unless they push back the release date to the original December 2019 and let him do substantial (read: complete) rewrites, I can't see him even considering it. And even then, the time commitment is so massive I know I'd have to really think on it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 am 
Upper Crust

Well they pushed back Last Jedi so anything is possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 am 
Upper Crust

As much as I love Rian, I kind of love the idea of no repeats. That being said, he's going to knock it out of the park, so it sort of doesn't matter because I know I'll love it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:20 pm 
Fearless Flyer

I'd be *shocked* if Rian doesn't end up as director of IX.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:06 am 
Upper Crust

Rian Johnson wrote:
It was never in the plan for me to direct Episode 9, so I don’t know what’s going to happen with it…for me, I was entirely focused on Episode 8 and having this experience. Now I’m just thinking about putting the movie out there and seeing how audiences respond to it. So no, I’m not really thinking about that right now. Whoever does it, I’m going to be really excited to be an audience member again, and to sit down and see what the next filmmaker has to show us and where this story ends up going.

Not definitive, but it's not looking very likely at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am 
Upper Crust

Or he's lowkey negotiating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Please, please, please let it be Kathryn Bigelow if it's not Rian... I want to see her do something huge and fun and that doesn't rely on (at least mostly) adhering to a true story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Please, please, please let it be Kathryn Bigelow if it's not Rian... I want to see her do something huge and fun and that doesn't rely on (at least mostly) adhering to a true story.

I'd also love to see Bigelow make this type of film again. I don't think Star Wars is the right place for her to do it though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:27 pm 
Upper Crust

What's kind of funny to me is that if he does do it, he runs the risk of doing what (to me) he's been avoiding thus far his entire career: that of being typecast as a director. After Brick and hometown/noir elements, he pivots and does a con-man flick set all over the world, then gritty science fiction in Future Kansas.

Had he:

a) After Brick, done anything set in California or near a beach or with a detective in any sense, he'd be "California filmmaker Rian Johnson" or "noir director", etc.
b) After Bloom, had done a revival of any other Golden-Age Hollywood style (a musical? A road flick with two wisecracking buddies? I dunno), he'd be "classic Hollywood revivalist Rian Johnson."
c) Put JGL in a bigger role in Bloom he'd be "Joseph Gordon-Levitt's muse, Rian Johnson" or some nonsense.

So in a sense it's ironic/funny that by getting one of the best jobs in film, The Director Of A Star Wars Movie, if he signs on for IX he could be finally pinned to the typecast wall. Hacky headline writers everywhere would rejoice!

Anyway, my take: He was announced as director in June or July 2014, though one imagines that the contracts were signed some time before. By the time XIII is released it'll have been 3 1/2 years since it was publicly announced. IX is (for now) slated for a 5/2019 release. Setting aside the fact that one of the super coolest things ever is fucking being The Director Of A Star Wars Movie, I bet it's even cooler to Have Been The Director Of A Star Wars Movie (with apologies to this quote from which I stole the idea).

So a rough choice is in front of him--having given 3 1/2 years of a finite career to do one of the coolest things ever, do you tag back in for another two (or more) years to a) possibly save the franchise from crashing at the finish line, b) (probably) make fans and Lucasfilm execs very happy by putting a steadying hand on the wheel, and c) risk being The Star Wars Guy for the rest of your life and never get to make non-mainstream (or even slightly non-mass-market) movies ever again?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:13 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

THIJS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
So a rough choice is in front of him--having given 3 1/2 years of a finite career to do one of the coolest things ever, do you tag back in for another two (or more) years to a) possibly save the franchise from crashing at the finish line, b) (probably) make fans and Lucasfilm execs very happy by putting a steadying hand on the wheel, and c) risk being The Star Wars Guy for the rest of your life and never get to make non-mainstream (or even slightly non-mass-market) movies ever again?

If Mr. rcjohnso does re-up, he will forfeit all subsequent street cred with me. Jussayin.

Ref. http://birthmoviesdeath.com/ :
Of the five most read stories
3 have to do with IT
1 has to do with Kyle MacLachlan
1 has to do with Leonardo DiCaprio

My Take on the readership of this site :
distinctly inferior

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 am 
Upper Crust

Looks like it's JJ Abrams. Very cool