Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Premiere Reactions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 am 
Upper Crust

P.S. Thom Yorke is in Part II. No, I don't believe me either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 pm 
Upper Crust

So, like, now that it's out and stuff, anyone want Part II?

I figured everyone was staying the hell away from the internet generally until they saw it (plus a handful of you lucky folk were running around together last night) so I figured it might be a minute before anyone got to this. I'm going to go Friday myself in a minute and have to see some movie tomorrow early, but I'll start hacking away tomorrow afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:04 pm 
Upper Crust

Wait so you met Thom Yorke?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:27 pm 
Upper Crust

I could have but, no. No.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:10 am 
Fearless Flyer

tsukasa13 wrote:
Donnacha wrote:
I can watch the film in ten minutes, and yet I'll be waiting a week, since my girlfriend will kill me otherwise.

Can confirm.

Postscript: She could not wait a week, and despite not feeling the best, we saw it the Thursday it came out. Only she had to leave early, feeling unwell. We ended up having to see it again so she could finish it. Seeing The Last Jedi twice in one week, ugh the worst

(I really liked it.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:11 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Is Rian going to write and direct Episode IX, which is what would surely happen in a just and well ordered universe?

Money is the only thing that is keeping me from seeing THE LAST JEDI again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 pm 
Hash Head

nope. JJ Abrams with Chris Terrio, as far as I know. But if you hadn't heard, Rian got the consolation prize of his own Star Wars trilogy.

Opening crawl for Ep 9, from what I heard:
...Legions of opinionated fans swarm down onto Kashyyyk, attempting to locate JJ, RJ, Kathy Kennedy, and Chris Terrio. Hidding in an underground smuggling tunnel remaining from the clone wars, the four shot callers dream up a plan to escape from beneath the matrix of giant roots and to ascend into uncharted regions of the galaxy where storytelling comes with no strings attached, and without the fear of angering any fan that happens to have a distaste for any particular direction of plot one might so choose. Meanwhile, the millennium falcon zooms away from the First Order to find adventure just beyond the horizon of a strange new planet.

:) Just playin on the internet stuff I've been reading. Seems like no matter what kind of Star Wars movie you make, you're going to inevitably ruin someone's life, and make others' lives very happy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

An unfortunate article in The Washington Post bemoans the political impact of THE LAST JEDI and WONDER WOMAN. This is the sort of sloppy thinking which results from reading your own ideas in print.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:06 am 
Fearless Flyer

Hmm. I agree that white women are canonized and made to look heroic (and IRL many white women did vote for T**** :/ ) but there's some question as to whether Gal Gadot should be considered white. I'm a white person of some middle eastern / south asian descent, so I am really not one to decide this.

Rose Tico isn't white either, but she's not exactly front and center. That's why I was happy to see her have a larger role (and IMO, a more emotionally impactful role than Rey, at least in this go-around.) Finn and Poe aren't white, either.

But I do get that it is a problem how white women are held up as the pinnacle of heroism in general. I just think this article misses the mark by targeting the wrong films.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I think the article misses the mark by supposing that movies have more than a vestigial social impact.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:21 am 
Fearless Flyer

But I really believe they do. For example, Nazis being portrayed as the worst of the worst, punchable, evil villains etc made a huge impact on actual Nazism. Movies can change people's minds, and lives, I think. You can't be what you can't see, and like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:19 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
I think the article misses the mark by supposing that movies have more than a vestigial social impact.

I used to think the same thing, then discovered a very good friend of mine has never watched a single episode/movie/anything of Star Trek. His father declaimed it as "too political" so it wasn't approved to watch. Since then, I've watched that (and a few other things) from a different point of view: that of injecting present-day politics into what is ostensibly escapist entertainment. And Star Trek is easy to flag as one that wore its politics on its sleeve--Roddenberry very intentionally went out of his way to show his view of a Utopian human future, and how we'd get there, which coincidentally agreed 100% with his own beliefs. I could go down a massive rabbit hole with this, so I'll just pull the famous Whoopi Goldberg anecdote out instead:

Quote:
"Well, when I was nine years old Star Trek came on," Goldberg says. "I looked at it and I went screaming through the house, 'Come here, mum, everybody, come quick, come quick, there's a black lady on television and she ain't no maid!' I knew right then and there I could be anything I wanted to be."

We old dinosaurs are fixed in our ways and it takes a lot to shake up our notions into something else, but for those young/sheltered/ignorant, popular entertainment is the only way they get a window to a larger world. I re-read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series last year (something I used to do much more often, but after 20 reads maybe it's best to put them aside for a while) and was more than a little startled to realize many of the ways I thought I thought were ideas pulled straight from his writing. There's a verse in a Police song (I had this album when I was maybe eight and listened to it A LOT):

Hide my face in my hands, shame wells in my throat
My comfortable existence is reduced
To a shallow, meaningless party
Seems that when some innocents die
All we can offer them is a page in a some magazine
Too many cameras and not enough food

If you're eight and the best you have are a couple of tapes and a vestige of a conscience, that's gonna stick.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:58 pm 
Fearless Flyer

^^^^ YES, THAT, GOD.

Particularly with a thing like Star Wars, at least for me. I can't imagine who I would be if Star Wars hadn't started teaching me about the politics of social issues and identity when I was 5. I knew I loved Leia and wanted to be like her. It took getting older to understand *why*.

Media makes a difference.

Not only movies. Much of my extended family was conservative and I never really thought much about politics in any real sort of way - until, guess what? I got into Pearl Jam when they first came out, and Eddie Vedder started talking about politics.

Movies, TV, books, pop culture - these things change the world. So like, let's do it for the better and support things that are diverse and socially aware, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
I used to think the same thing, then discovered a very good friend of mine has never watched a single episode/movie/anything of Star Trek.

An argument from an exception? Jules The Jewel also takes this approach. The absence of a positive framework does not make the first alternate reference point the best one or necessarily even a good one. It just makes it the first alternate reference point, with all of the attendant emotional baggage and imputed meaning. Jussayin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 pm 
Upper Crust

Oh sure it's anecdotal, but I found it really interesting from a "let's watch this movie the way [FRIEND] would" point of view. Things that had I passed off as totally normal suddenly seemed like really crass political overtures and/or preaching to the choir. It doesn't make one point of view right or wrong at all, but it certainly makes the case that some things are explicitly or implicitly making political statements.

Me, I'm in favor of that. Art that doesn't take a firm stand somewhere is usually pretty bad art. It's still really jarring to me that any parent would indoctrinate their kid to not watch things because they disagree with them politically. And that he'd stick with that through becoming an adult (and parent). But he's got odd views generally, I once mentioned I think it's kind of cool to see teenagers with blue and purple hair and he came right back with "I don't think parents should necessarily be best friends with their kids." Uh? Determining that allowing interestingly-colored hair equals "best friends" is pretty odd, but sure, buddy, sure.