Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:41 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Just back from seeing it for the second time and still love it! But I feel like we miss [MINOR SPOILER] Luke's reaction to Han's death, it was so short. My question to you lovely folks is, would you like to see a director's cut as Johnson is a seasoned editor? And if so, what would you like to see?

Someone please let me know if this should be included in the spoilers section, I just thought it should go here as it's a question.

Hope you guys enjoyed it!
Luke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 pm 
Upper Crust

The movie in theatres is the directors cut. Rian has said this multiple times in interviews.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:50 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

circuitsnake wrote:
The movie in theatres is the directors cut. Rian has said this multiple times in interviews.

Wow that actually surprises me a lot. I kind of felt the movie really could have been fleshed out but hell, I can't wait to see some of what they cut out anyways!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:22 pm 
Upper Crust

Yeah, he kind of regretted saying what he did, and had to write a longer Twitter statement about--sorry for the sass, it's not directed at you--the phase of filmmaking known as the "editing" process. Fans were too excited for extra footage to remember that it's hard to go back and shoot things months later without spending gobs of money and destroying multiple production schedules by getting the cast & crew back, so (I'm told, I have no personal knowledge of this because I'm just some guy) it's better to have too much than not quite enough.

He did say a lot of removed scenes were very late cuts, so there's at least some effects work AND OFFICIAL SCORE WHY AM I YELLING done for most of them. Someone will certainly splice it all in within 45 minutes of the Blu-Ray release, but since downloading things like that is illegal I guess we'll never know how it looks all pieced together.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Justin wrote:
Yeah, he kind of regretted saying what he did, and had to write a longer Twitter statement about--sorry for the sass, it's not directed at you--the phase of filmmaking known as the "editing" process. Fans were too excited for extra footage to remember that it's hard to go back and shoot things months later without spending gobs of money and destroying multiple production schedules by getting the cast & crew back, so (I'm told, I have no personal knowledge of this because I'm just some guy) it's better to have too much than not quite enough.

He did say a lot of removed scenes were very late cuts, so there's at least some effects work AND OFFICIAL SCORE WHY AM I YELLING done for most of them. Someone will certainly splice it all in within 45 minutes of the Blu-Ray release, but since downloading things like that is illegal I guess we'll never know how it looks all pieced together.

Very interesting! I remember reading that they started with a 3 hour long cut and spliced down from there. It makes me really curious as to what they felt the need to cut out. Excited to see what fans get up to too, I think there is multiple re-edits for each non original-trilogy movie. I might even have a stab myself when it gets release but I would never do that because it is illegal to download films. You wouldn't steal a fan edit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 pm 
Upper Crust

As for the length, theaters start to get twitchy about running times because it can potentially limit an entire screening a day per screen, or mess with schedules by forcing them to open or close earlier or later than usual to fit it in, killing their profits and irritating employees, who then also run the risk of coming into work at the wrong time, etc. etc.

As for me, I didn't notice the length until I realized I'd really drank a lot of fluids that day (85 degrees in LA, a very long drive to get there added to complimentary water AND popcorn AND soft drinks) and, well. So I was a little squirmy for the last 30 minutes or so, but then stuck around for the entire credits.