Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:47 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I created this FAQ for the Force.net and thought some of you here might also enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

This is fascinating.

Thnx, DH!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:52 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

In addition to the frequently asked questions I tried to provide answers to based on my decades of being a Star Wars geek and a fan of Rian’s work at the above link, I also find a common question asked is “Why didn’t the FO just hyperspace jump in front of them during the sub-hyperspace race?” My answer to that involves a Mario Kart analogy of all things.

The biggest reason is the sheer distance travelled in even a second of light speed travel once the hyperspace engines kick in. Even a second of hyperspace from the Star blur to the “blue portal” jumps you 299,792km due to the speed of hyperspace.

If the object you're tracking is operating at a distance closer to 200km-500km away (and based on what we know of the size of the Supremacy if the visuals provided are in any way to scale that’s a decent guess) and the Resistance’s Raddus ship is only slowly gaining on the Supremacy then hyperspace is overkill and sets you further away then where you were.

To borrow a Mario Kart analogy it would be like wanting to shoot a green shell at your friend who's directly ahead of you and using the bullet. The bullet is going to send you all the way past him and to the front. Further to the notion of "jumping in front of them" is that there really isn't a front in space. It's true that they were ultimately headed toward Crait but they could have been heading in any number of directions so jumping 299,792km ahead of the direction they're heading via 1 second of hyperspace could have just lead them to go up or down to some other location and then it's the same sub light speed chase where they're slightly faster and constantly gaining.

You can read more about the sub-Light speed logistics of the chase at the link.