Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Rocco wrote:
But objectively true to the individual

That would be subjective, not objective and "true" is hardly a word that is appropriate in a discussion of Campbell.
Campbell belongs with Alan Watts, Richard Alpert, Sam Keen, R.D. Laing and others who have gained credibility by
making themselves arbiters of precisely calibrated worldviews. The root of their popularity is often an appeal to
self empowerment, self actualization, or some other variety of self infatuation. It's America, baby, we do
that stuff better than anybody. Just look at our President.

This is tremendously thought-provoking and I thank you for it. One of Campbell's draws to me was his certitude, but you have extremely accurately described the inverse (and problem) of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:20 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Rocco wrote:
But objectively true to the individual

That would be subjective, not objective and "true" is hardly a word that is appropriate in a discussion of Campbell.
Campbell belongs with Alan Watts, Richard Alpert, Sam Keen, R.D. Laing and others who have gained credibility by
making themselves arbiters of precisely calibrated worldviews. The root of their popularity is often an appeal to
self empowerment, self actualization, or some other variety of self infatuation. It's America, baby, we do
that stuff better than anybody. Just look at our President.

Yeah, I guess I was trying to say that you cannot argue with the fact that those who see value in Campbell see value in Campbell. That they get something from it, however off-base it may be, is (to them) true.

I know a lot of people who enjoy Frasier, which I find insufferable. Now I'm just talking. Someone stop me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:04 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I read a lot of Campbell, years ago, and always found him interesting, especially his four-volume Mask of God, although the appeal dimmed for me somewhat when he was canonized during the New Age movement and I found myself talking to people about Campbell who I thought were idiots. Frazer, as long winded as he could be at times, I found interesting as well. Like anything else, he either appeals to you and you're enriched by him, or you're not. He had the audacity of a scholar to think that his research was correct, but I never thought for a moment that he, unlike, say, Ayn Rand, had set himself to be idolized.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
canonized during the New Age movemen

I was not aware of this bit of information but I can see it completely and how this would ruin aspects of his work. Bad fans really can ruin things.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
I read a lot of Campbell, years ago, and always found him interesting, especially his four-volume Mask of God

The only Campbell I've read to date is some of this collection, specifically Occidental Mythology, which I find very interesting as historical survey of how certain ideas and symbols were subverted (even inverted) by the arrival of monotheistic (& misogynist) religion in the near-east.

What was the topic of this thread?

New trilogy!

I am most excited by the prospect of new stuff, as unconnected as possible from the existing Star Wars world.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:27 am 
Upper Crust

I saw an article the other day that claimed they offered him the new trilogy without even a story pitch. They probably weren't screaming "PLEASE GIVE US MORE LIKE THIS ONE" but they really were on the inside.