Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:22 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:04 pm 
Upper Crust

I kinda-sorta follow Rian's Twitter and there's a pocket of REALLY angry people just following him around complaining no matter what he says. The complaints boil down to 1) WHY KILL LUKE LOVE LUKE 2) GIRRRRLLLLLLSSSSSSSS. Both are problematic for their own reasons (#2 is easily understood), but #1 is the one that kind of bugs me. The entire saga has been intimating that The Magic Skywalkers are the key to everything, and has an uncomfortable air of "royal blood" to me. This is why I was worried that a less deft hand would make Rey part of the family (or of an existing one, Kenobi being the chief one speculated), keeping the entire fate of the galaxy in a tiny number of people. I try not to conflate with current events when dealing with space fiction, but the Venn diagram of people pissed about Luke and those that are into wearing ugly red hats is a circle.

I guess reason 3 is the now-deprecated Extended Universe. I can't say I've ever read any of it (there's SO MANY), but there's an entire complex mythology there that was discarded, and that pisses people off too. The other problem is that the video games have gone a wee tiny bit overboard with what Jedi/Sith can do with the force. If I were to guess, I think the hate crowd would have liked to see Luke take the lightsaber, say, "Oh shit, they need me!" Then he gets in the Falcon, interposes it between the Resistance and the FO's fleets, climbs out the roof hatch (sure there's a roof hatch...now), and turns the entire fleet into recycling by waving his hands. Then they get onto the Raddus, he waves his hands again and all the women are pregnant, and then Kylo Ren shows up and they fight with electric penise--lightsabers--for a solid hour, give up realizing they're tied, shake hands, CREDITS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:06 pm 
Upper Crust

I swear I didn't see this before I wrote the above.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:28 pm 
Upper Crust

WOKE PORGS SCREENCAPS!!!!

No but seriously it's an actual problem that Rian is handling really well. It's really weird how the YouTube algorithm seems to think that because I'm into Star Wars I'm into angry Star Wars vloggers? The numbers on those things are insane. There's one that claims they have a secret video about Rian planning on destroying Star Wars 10 years ago. Like actual conspiracy video.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:55 am 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
WOKE PORGS SCREENCAPS!!!!

No but seriously it's an actual problem that Rian is handling really well. It's really weird how the YouTube algorithm seems to think that because I'm into Star Wars I'm into angry Star Wars vloggers? The numbers on those things are insane. There's one that claims they have a secret video about Rian planning on destroying Star Wars 10 years ago. Like actual conspiracy video.

I'd love to watch that with a big group and just laugh and laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am 
Upper Crust

It's actually referring to this interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqgYSUL38M

That I've never seen before??? I don't know where this got dug up from, but it's great. Maybe I have seen it before...how long have a been wandering these dark corners of said forum? How long have I been here? Long enough for Rian to lose his glasses??? RIP GLASSES

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm 
Upper Crust

Great quote from a great man!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm 
Upper Crust

I wish I knew where the rest of that interview is. It looks like someone stumbled upon him writing pros in Central Park.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:15 am 
Upper Crust

I've seen it before; I think it's on the 2-disc Brick DVD in the UK. I haven't rewatched in full to check but I think it's this: https://vimeo.com/48348608

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Normally I find Cass Sunstein's thoughts well above my pay grade and soundly reasoned. Not so here, in which he throws up on THE LAST JEDI.