Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC-08:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3728
Location: SF
Neil_Leach wrote:
When has demonstrable fact ever trumped imagination?
Lewis Carroll was a mathematician and logician.


Quantum mechanics?

Don't look too long or what's wrong will be right and what's right is wrong.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:35 pm
Posts: 7662
Location: On the lam
Justin wrote:
Neil_Leach wrote:
When has demonstrable fact ever trumped imagination?
Lewis Carroll was a mathematician and logician.


Quantum mechanics?

Don't look too long or what's wrong will be right and what's right is wrong.

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.

_________________
Social media is a form of social disease.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline
Cream on the Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 6131
Location: Critterville
NO BEATLES LYRICS

_________________
The Brookings Institution - top rated think tank in the world


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3728
Location: SF
Quote:
"It's all right, it's just a horse in the bathroom," he said quietly.
Richard leaped on him and wrestled him to the ground.
"No," gasped Reg, "no, get off me, let me go, I'm perfectly all right, damn it. It's just a horse, a perfectly ordinary horse." He shook Richard off with no great difficulty and sat up, puffing and blowing and pushing his hands through his limited hair. Richard stood over him warily, but with great and mounting embarrassment. He edged back, and let Reg stand up and sit on a chair.
"Just a horse," said Reg, "but, er, thank you for taking me at my word." He brushed himself down.
"A horse," repeated Richard.
"Yes," said Reg.
Richard went out and looked up the stairs and then came back in.
"A horse?" he said again.
"Yes, it is," said the Professor. "Wait -- " he motioned to Richard, who was about to go out again and investigate -- "let it be. It won't be long."
Richard stared in disbelief. "You say there's a horse in your bathroom, and all you can do is stand there naming Beatles songs?"
The Professor looked blankly at him.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Eureka, CA
A related comment on logically-inconsistent plot lines:

What was the purpose of Luke appearing to the AT-AT walkers as a mirage? Essentially, it made no difference if he got gunned down and blown to pieces, or whether he died like he did by the effort of having to appear as a mirage in order to avoid being gunned down. Either way, he died. It was kind of strange that the audience was led to believe that Luke pulled off this amazing stunt and therefore didn't die as a result, but then died immediately afterword. Couldn't he just as easily have raised his X-Wing up out of the water, flown it to Crait, appeared in real life, and then vanished upon being blasted away by the AT-ATs?

Also, the notion that exerting oneself as Luke did at the end of the movie should cause one to die seems a bit inconsistent with Yoda's quote "size matters not". That quote by Yoda seems to indicate that the magnitude of any feat of accomplishment using the force is irrelevant, and yet in TLJ, Luke's magnitude of exertion causes him to die? Maybe size matters?

One other point of scrutiny: It seemed a bit odd that suddenly, when Luke walked out toward the AT-ATs, someone realized that he was doing that so that they could find an escape route. Why didn't Luke just say, "hey - you - go find a way out, I'll walk out here to buy you some time"? Why didn't they just try to find the escape route earlier? How did Luke know there was a way out?

I do think that the surprise of Luke being a mirage at the end was kind of cool in an "oh man, that was awesome!" kind of way, and it was definitely a fun surprise. I just didn't understand the logic of it exactly.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 am
Posts: 2794
Location: UK
rcj_yay wrote:
Also, the notion that exerting oneself as Luke did at the end of the movie should cause one to die seems a bit inconsistent with Yoda's quote "size matters not". That quote by Yoda seems to indicate that the magnitude of any feat of accomplishment using the force is irrelevant, and yet in TLJ, Luke's magnitude of exertion causes him to die? Maybe size matters?
No, "size matters not" means that the size of the object does not prevent it from being lifted. And having him die like is a moment of power and triumph and heroism; having him be killed in combat wouldn't be a worthy fate for Luke Skywalker.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:24 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Eureka, CA
Day Glo wrote:
rcj_yay wrote:
Also, the notion that exerting oneself as Luke did at the end of the movie should cause one to die seems a bit inconsistent with Yoda's quote "size matters not". That quote by Yoda seems to indicate that the magnitude of any feat of accomplishment using the force is irrelevant, and yet in TLJ, Luke's magnitude of exertion causes him to die? Maybe size matters?
No, "size matters not" means that the size of the object does not prevent it from being lifted. And having him die like is a moment of power and triumph and heroism; having him be killed in combat wouldn't be a worthy fate for Luke Skywalker.


Seems like you're asserting an opinion as if it is fact.
Seems like he effectively DID die in combat as a result of his exertion.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3728
Location: SF
I saw it differently. It took it out of him for sure, but if the exertion killed him, why'd he climb back up on the rock, go into a hovering lotus position, and go out Yoda-style? I think he could have hung on if he'd wanted to, but as he was committed to the hermit lifestyle and he saw that Rey had more or less slid into his spot, his work was done.

I'd be stunned if we didn't see a number of force-ghost Luke shots throughout IX.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:12 pm 
Offline
Fearless Flyer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 am
Posts: 841
Well, I read it in my mind that Leia had to know it was Fake!Luke. (Fuke? :lol: ) But if she told anyone, or if Luke told anyone else, Kylo might have been able to glean it, too.

If he'd gotten blown directly up, he wouldn't have bought them nearly enough time.

Honestly, when I saw the scene, I was thinking he was already a Force ghost, even though he wasn't bluish. There were moments where yoda wasn't blueish either, you know?

Anyway I thought it was still pretty badass. Though I am still upset over the loss of my first boyfriend. :cry:


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:23 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Eureka, CA
Haha, yeah, sorry about your boyfriend.
Still though, definitely an awesome scene. I liked it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Eureka, CA
Justin wrote:
I saw it differently. It took it out of him for sure, but if the exertion killed him, why'd he climb back up on the rock, go into a hovering lotus position, and go out Yoda-style? I think he could have hung on if he'd wanted to, but as he was committed to the hermit lifestyle and he saw that Rey had more or less slid into his spot, his work was done.


Hmm... yes, I think that could be it. Would be cool to see him as a force ghost, certainly.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Upper Crust
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:18 pm
Posts: 3728
Location: SF
JulesKD wrote:
Honestly, when I saw the scene, I was thinking he was already a Force ghost, even though he wasn't bluish. There were moments where yoda wasn't blueish either, you know?


I think I may have told this story already, but anyway: I texted Rian during the SW Celebration in Orlando last April, as a few friends had gone out to hang out with him, "You guys have fun, I'll just be over here like a force ghost."

Three days later (he's a busy guy), I get a reply: "We're all going to glow blue together."


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline
Fearless Flyer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 am
Posts: 841
Ha, that is awesome. <3


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:07 am 
Offline
Hash Head

Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Eureka, CA
JulesKD wrote:
I am still upset over the loss of my first boyfriend. :cry:


Are we 100% certain that Luke died when he vanished?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 pm 
Offline
Fearless Flyer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 am
Posts: 841
^^^ LET'S GO WITH THAT! 8)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

All times are UTC-08:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited