Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:07 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Justin wrote:
shane1594 wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Can we ban this guy already?

I don’t think he’s alt right or a troll, but I do think he hates women and that’s enough for me.

Edit: dismissing him as a troll implies that he doesn’t actually feel this way, which he clearly does. I also think it’s worth trying to get people to see how they’re wrong when it’s something as ignorant as what he’s been saying. We tried and we failed. BYE!

I don't 'hate women', I merely do not like a focus on diversity that excludes around half the population of this planet, and a much greater percentage of Star Wars fans. Also, exactly how did you 'try to prove me wrong'?

You realize that the vast vast vast vast HUGE vast bulk of movies ever made ever in the history of ever are just about dudes and the women who swoon to follow them? Like, half the population of humanity, for the bulk of movies--hell, stage performances--has been just watching dudes do dude shit. How a few movies that don't adhere to the dudeness of dudeosity make you head for the fainting couch is really strange.

That's not right. There are multiple instances of the opposite, reaching as far back as at least Gilbert & Sullivan(that I am aware of), that made a point of subverting and mocking cultural and societal norms.

Justin wrote:
1. Oh holy hell, progress.
2. He was shouting, sweaty, in the cockpit during a pitched space battle. Yet reason won out? Huh. Leia, being force-sensitive, would have felt all those deaths, and as a general was sorrowful for the deaths. This doesn't make her quote-unquote emotional, it makes her a normal person.
3. I don't get this at all. Can you explain further?
4. There's a quote from the Neal Stephenson book Cryptonomicon that I just quoted to my boss about our mutual boss last week:
Quote:
The implied responsibility placed upon the officer’s shoulders by the subordinate’s unhesitating willingness to follow orders is a withering burden to any officer with half a brain, and Shaftoe has more than once seen seasoned noncoms reduce green lieutenants to quivering blobs simply by standing before them and agreeing, cheerfully, to carry out their orders.

(The real-life context of this is that our boss sometimes comes up with wacky ideas, and my policy is to express a mild reservation or two (if justified), then cheerfully do it, knowing that if it fails, wastes time, or costs him money, I was only doing what I was told, and if my initial reservations were correct it only helps my case next time around if I say "I think that's a bad idea". Before we get into "only following orders" Nuremberg territory, this only applies to merely dumb, not illegal ideas.)
Anyway, in any hierarchical and regimented organization like an army, a rebellion, a resistance, whatever, the chain of command should be respected regardless of coiffure.
5. Anecdotal.
6. Most ideas of the kind of certitude you're working with here were instilled by someone trusted. I had a lot of asshole friends when I was younger that put asshole ideas in my head. If you came up with them on your own without outside influence I'm curious how.
7. Not sure what this is referring to.

2. Being sorrowful over a number of deaths does make one human. I would be completely fine with that, the problem is that Leia let that sorrow influence her military decision, which is a disaster no matter which way you look at it.
3. Poe: Battlefield commander that has gone on (and led), multiple missions, including the destruction of Starkiller Base. Reduced to some random hothead with delusions of grandeur.
Finn: Taken as a child and brainwashed into becoming a stormtrooper for white supremacists (which is a bit odd in and of itself), but, takes a stance against what he and his cohort had been taught to believe and ultimately joining the resistance to fight against The First Order. In The Last Jedi, he went on a journey where Rose decided that it was upon her to educate Finn about the evils of the universe, and he just nodded dumbly whenever she said a thing.
4. Yes. But, Poe decried Holdo as a traitor and, only after she still didn't explain her plan, pointless as it ended up being, he took action.
5. What do you mean 'anecdotal'?
6. No. Personal experience and observation over many years have formed my views.
7. In uni, there was a discussion done in an english course that consisted of 'are you a feminist'. When I said, no, I want equality for both sides, they mobbed me, resulting in a similar exchange to that which Jules and I are currently engaged in. After that class, one of them came up to me and started whinging about the wage gap, unwilling to listen to what I was saying. Another time, in a history course, a different one actually managed to hijack the class and turn it into a bitching session about how women were treated 2000 odd years ago which, frankly, is a lot better than most think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

JulesKD wrote:
Justin wrote:
Can I just say that imagining "go eat a dick" coming from

really pleases me?

Landlady is my absolute hero. :D She kicked just about every ass there was. (And the actress who played her is real life awesome too!)

ETA: Is what Judo? I must have missed something. I did choy lei faht, lama pai, etc. My sifu taught krav maga too but we didn't focus too much on it.

Judo is a japanese martial art that focuses heavily on throws and holds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Dear people, please stop. This is going nowhere except into an ever constricting knot of impaction.
We are better than that. Jewels, please don't respond to the martial arts comment. Please.
I suggest that administrative action may be appropriate to avoid a bad precedent.
Peace.
Out.

attempted humorous aside :
once a colloquy has reached the point of Neal Stephenson quotes, it's time to
circle the wagons, call in the cavalry, and wait for the next issue of The Enquirer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 am 
Fearless Flyer

OTOH, please don't tell women what not to respond to. I can pick my own battles. Maybe it's unclear that most women in male-dominated hobbies, jobs, or fandoms basically sit around waiting to be disappointed, waiting for guys they've been talking to in a friendly way for years to decide it's time to hear out some misogynist crybaby in the interest of keeping the peace or being polite.

This guy has less than optimal reading comprehension (see: he repeatedly misunderstands dates, times, questions and statements. He thought my asking for clarification--"Is what Judo?"--meant "what is Judo?" Etc.) You don't understand how much fun it is for me to keep putting him in his place. It's satisfying. Like, I got one, he's standing right here and letting me punch him in the face. It's fun, easy, and no one of importance is getting hurt. :lol:

You all can ban him if you want (he is clearly a troll, which is not to say he doesn't believe his own BS, BTW,) and that is perfectly fine. But if no one is going to, then you need to let me keep beating on him. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:56 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Blast it Jules, I didn't TELL you to do anything.
B-slapping a cripple is what it is.
My work here is done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 am 
Fearless Flyer

It is! But it's a malignant little troll, and if it's gonna stay around here, I need to keep kicking it. :) I hardly ever get a chance to really go to town on one of them, and there's one right here and it's just too satisfying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

JulesKD wrote:
OTOH, please don't tell women what not to respond to. I can pick my own battles. Maybe it's unclear that most women in male-dominated hobbies, jobs, or fandoms basically sit around waiting to be disappointed, waiting for guys they've been talking to in a friendly way for years to decide it's time to hear out some misogynist crybaby in the interest of keeping the peace or being polite.

This guy has less than optimal reading comprehension (see: he repeatedly misunderstands dates, times, questions and statements. He thought my asking for clarification--"Is what Judo?"--meant "what is Judo?" Etc.) You don't understand how much fun it is for me to keep putting him in his place. It's satisfying. Like, I got one, he's standing right here and letting me punch him in the face. It's fun, easy, and no one of importance is getting hurt. :lol:

You all can ban him if you want (he is clearly a troll, which is not to say he doesn't believe his own BS, BTW,) and that is perfectly fine. But if no one is going to, then you need to let me keep beating on him. 8)

Then in that case, I would suggest that the women, few as they would be, that are waiting around for misogyny, not only stop, but get on with their jobs, or quit and move to another 'female-dominated' industry. I do have more than optimal reading comprehension. It is not my problem if you go back and change a post of yours, realising that you've made a mistake after it has been replied to.

Also, since you have problems with the english language in general...
Troll: 1. An ugly cave-dwelling creature depicted as either a giant or a dwarf.
2. Someone that makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Does the second one sound familiar to you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 am 
Upper Crust

K. Well, night-night.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7