Can we ban this guy already?
I don’t think he’s alt right or a troll, but I do think he hates women and that’s enough for me.
Edit: dismissing him as a troll implies that he doesn’t actually feel this way, which he clearly does. I also think it’s worth trying to get people to see how they’re wrong when it’s something as ignorant as what he’s been saying. We tried and we failed. BYE!
I don't 'hate women', I merely do not like a focus on diversity that excludes around half the population of this planet, and a much greater percentage of Star Wars fans. Also, exactly how
did you 'try to prove me wrong'?
You realize that the vast vast vast vast HUGE vast bulk of movies ever made ever in the history of ever are just about dudes and the women who swoon to follow them? Like, half the population of humanity, for the bulk of movies--hell, stage performances--has been just watching dudes do dude shit. How a few movies that don't adhere to the dudeness of dudeosity make you head for the fainting couch is really strange.
1. Societal expectations: A fair point.
2. Poe vs Leia: No. Poe's decision wasn't emotional, he clearly stated that Dreadnoughts are fleet killers, given what happened, it's pretty clear that he was right. That a second one showed up soon after, mere plot convenience. Firstly, Poe was a Battlefield Commander at the time, hence more knowledgeable about the situation at hand. Leia's facial expressions and the screen with all the losses displayed, showed that she was clearly affected deeply, so yes, it was.
3. I'll agree, but that sce ne epitomized everything wrong with how The Last Jedi completely ignored everything about the male characters from the last movie (except Kylo Ren).
4. Chain of command: I am no military man myself, but documentaries that I've seen, all mention something along the lines of 'being a good soldier doesn't mean blindly following orders'.
5. Dyed-hair, so emotional: That's not what I was saying. Also, it's not a direct link, it is just two traits that happen to coincide with one another.
6. Do not try to insinuate that I am incapable of critical thought when it is abundantly clear that I am. And, FYI, I am the older brother.
7. I have personally had multiple experiences with the type of person that I have described.
1. Oh holy hell, progress.
2. He was shouting, sweaty, in the cockpit during a pitched space battle. Yet reason won out? Huh. Leia, being force-sensitive, would have felt
all those deaths, and as a general was sorrowful for the deaths. This doesn't make her quote-unquote emotional, it makes her a normal person.
3. I don't get this at all. Can you explain further?
4. There's a quote from the Neal Stephenson book Cryptonomicon
that I just quoted to my boss about our mutual boss last week:
The implied responsibility placed upon the officer’s shoulders by the subordinate’s unhesitating willingness to follow orders is a withering burden to any officer with half a brain, and Shaftoe has more than once seen seasoned noncoms reduce green lieutenants to quivering blobs simply by standing before them and agreeing, cheerfully, to carry out their orders.
(The real-life context of this is that our boss sometimes comes up with wacky ideas, and my policy is to express a mild reservation or two (if justified), then cheerfully do it, knowing that if it fails, wastes time, or costs him money, I was only doing what I was told, and if my initial reservations were correct it only helps my case next time around if I say "I think that's a bad idea". Before we get into "only following orders" Nuremberg territory, this only applies to merely dumb, not illegal ideas.)
Anyway, in any hierarchical and regimented organization like an army, a rebellion, a resistance, whatever, the chain of command should be respected regardless of coiffure.
6. Most ideas of the kind of certitude you're working with here were instilled by someone trusted. I had a lot of asshole friends when I was younger that put asshole ideas in my head. If you came up with them on your own without outside influence I'm curious how.
7. Not sure what this is referring to.