Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm 
Hash Head

Okay, I think I get what you are saying about Holdo. I understand why some people might have an issue with the dress and pink hair. Kind of reminds me of Star Trek The Next Generation where Deanna Troi started out wearing like skin-tight outfits, and later got a legitimate officer uniform toward the end of the series. I don't know that I've observed that pink hair necessarily means anything specific in our society (albeit, I have lived in California most of my adult life, so our norms might not exactly match those elsewhere in different regions of the country). It's possible that in some jobs in our galaxy, pink hair might not be considered professional. I think I get what you are saying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:44 pm 
Upper Crust

shane1594 wrote:
.... there does need to be a male lead in order to not ostracize the male audience...

This. This part is really remarkably wrong. One day--hopefully soon--you're going to think "Oh man, I said that in public," and you'll feel as embarrassed for yourself as I do for you now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm 
Upper Crust

yeah if anything it's the opposite. Although I think gender really has nothing to do with anything

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Am I the only one catching a whiff of alt.right on this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm 
Upper Crust

Right or wrong, I kind of dig that Shane keeps coming back to defend the initial post. From my point of view it's just digging the hole deeper, but still, it's rare to see someone back up a controversial opinion without going all-out nasty.

There has been a little bit of nasty (in my opinion, if you're the first person to use Latin you're probably not winning the argument), but that's to be expected with controversial opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm 
Upper Crust

shane1594 wrote:

The very first thing that I did in that post, was point out what I liked and enjoyed about it, and I'm not trying to change minds. I am well aware that, at site's such as this, people's minds have already been made up, and nothing said right now is going to change anything about The Last Jedi. This is about raising issues that need to be considered going forward so that many of the glaring problems in The Last Jedi do not find their way into the subsequent installments into the franchise that Rian shall be making in the future, which I wish him all the best with and look forward to watching.

That's the thing though. You're not going to change anything. He probably will read at least part of what you said. Who knows? But if you were him, what would you do? Would you continue to do things that 90% of people clearly enjoy? Things that happened to make lots and lots (and lots) of money? Or would you log into your forum, read one negative post in a sea of positivity and rethink your decision to make a mainstream movie progressive and socially conscious?

This forum is one of the best places for movie discussion, because there are so few of us, we've got mountains of movies in our imdb of collective internet consciousness, and I've yet to see anything even resembling an argument here. There are disagreements, but no venom. It's awesome.

So coming on here fresh off of a film written and directed by the GUY WHO BROUGHT THESE FINE PEOPLE TOGETHER just strikes me as a pointless endeavor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm 
Upper Crust

The funny bit here too is that listening to the critics and trying to please everyone (or at least specific voices in the crowd) makes mushy art that no one ends up liking. On the other side, taking a stand for one point of view or another (sometimes less charitably called "forcing their ideas down our throats") generates robust discussions like this.

Stated in food terms, I don't want half-reheated mashed potatoes, I want buffalo wings so spicy that I cry thinking about having eaten them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Stated in food terms, I don't want half-reheated mashed potatoes, I want buffalo wings so spicy that I cry thinking about having eaten them.

I once had a beef & horseradish sandwich that was so strong I thought I was having a nosebleed. Couldn't finish it, had to bail halfway through. This is not a metaphor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm 
Upper Crust

I had one of those a few weeks ago. The menu said "horseradish aioli" but the guy brought out a bucket of straight horseradish and slathered it on both sides of the bread. My co-worker watched me eat it, tears streaming down my face, continually asking if I was okay. And he's an M.D.

I really like horseradish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:39 pm 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
I had one of those a few weeks ago. The menu said "horseradish aioli" but the guy brought out a bucket of straight horseradish and slathered it on both sides of the bread. My co-worker watched me eat it, tears streaming down my face, continually asking if I was okay. And he's an M.D.

I really like horseradish.

“No. Christ no. Not like this *whimpering* please don’t do this to me”
“Hey, Justin are you ok—“
“I’m fucking FINE Paul!” *giant bite of the sandwich*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:01 pm 
Upper Crust

It was moments of deliciousness mixed in with spates of intense pain. So, like life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Quote:

The purple hair: There's no deep mystery about it. Generally, women that have cut their hair short and dye it the colour that Vice Admiral Hondo's was, tend to be the really radical feminists, that have a propensity to attack men, no matter who they are, or what they've done, no matter how correct their actions were. As to males dying their hair, there are issues with that too, but, as far as I can recall, none of the male characters in The Last Jedi had died their hair, so there is no issue with that.

I'm sorry, there aren't enough emojis to demonstrate how hard I'm laughing at you right now. And honestly I'm not even sure if it's what you're saying, or if it's the "dyed/dying/died/dydde/dvvd/etc" bit. Are you for real? I can't tell.

Quote:
Male lead: There is a very large difference between a 'main' character and a 'lead' character. I have no problem with female main characters,

How generous of you.

Quote:
however there does need to be a male lead in order to not ostracize the male audience.

:lol: :lol: :lol: No there doesn't. Go away. Be ostracized. I'm only telling you this because of my purple hair... OR AM I? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

maxfrost wrote:
Am I the only one catching a whiff of alt.right on this thread?

No, you're not, despite the fact that, in all likelihood, nobody here is aligned with the alt-right. I do truly regret that one of the less important points that I raised has gotten so much attention.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

JulesKD wrote:
Quote:

The purple hair: There's no deep mystery about it. Generally, women that have cut their hair short and dye it the colour that Vice Admiral Hondo's was, tend to be the really radical feminists, that have a propensity to attack men, no matter who they are, or what they've done, no matter how correct their actions were. As to males dying their hair, there are issues with that too, but, as far as I can recall, none of the male characters in The Last Jedi had died their hair, so there is no issue with that.

I'm sorry, there aren't enough emojis to demonstrate how hard I'm laughing at you right now. And honestly I'm not even sure if it's what you're saying, or if it's the "dyed/dying/died/dydde/dvvd/etc" bit. Are you for real? I can't tell.

Sorry, it was a typo I meant 'dyeing'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:23 am 
Fearless Flyer

^^^ I'm calling troll - and yeah, alt-right. I knew that the fake fanboys would hate this movie. 8) Honestly, it's part of why I like it.

I also wanted to mention that the grocery store I go to makes this wasabi stuff with horse radish mixed in, and it's literally the only thing that cleared up my sinus infection two years ago. Seriously, my sinuses were so bad I went to the doctor thinking I had a tumor. She laughed at me and sent me home with decongestants which didn't work, but the wasabi + horse radish? Instant relief!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next