Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

T-jones wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:
T-jones wrote:
If Rian Johnson’s trilogy is all based on the video game DroidWorks I will buy a thousand blu-rays.

will you also be buying the corresponding TVs and Bluray players?

I imagine I’d have to, right?

Yes, you have to. Imagine an army of steampunk giant robots figthing tribesman riding on Godzilla-like aliens. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:17 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

circuitsnake wrote:
I really wish the video games weren't bad. There's a was a beautiful period where Rogue Leader and KOTR were around and there was this beautiful Star Wars expanded universe. But also in the EU they killed Chewy.

I personally never was a computer gamer, so I only played Star Wars games in the company of others, never alone. I think, it only changed with SWTOR, when both the graphics, both the backstory, both the massive multiplayer online format was enough to invite me in. I more liked the novels and the comics, and I think, most of my generation had the same experience. Literally, in high school everybody was reading this, and I even met later generations interested in this. I think, the main problem of the Force Awakens, that it was made as if it is just a computer game based on New Hope: the characters have basically no background, they just running back and forth making jokes while shooting on things, and the scenes are allmost literally the same, as the original trilogy background. I mean, some fans, who are only interested in computer games found this impressive, but everybody else was just watching shocked: even while the film used stunning visuals and the actors where brilliant, the story itself was so blatant, that nobody was feeling the need to watch it again. It's like watching a game movie like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbkLZ5JDW0 . I dont know, how this happened, I mean, J.J. Abrams made quite good Star Trek movies for example with impressive innovations (so the storylines there where also copies of former novels and scripts, and there where some stupid things there too, but he created from that something, which you could enjoy), so why he didn't made anything here? I remember, I was so shocked watching it, that it was almost a year, before I decided, that I will rewatch it again, this time only I read some background material first (comics, novels, etc.), and still, I was watching it only 4 times alltogether (The Last Jedi I watched allready more times). And I'm not the only one, most of my generation feels like that. I mean, the character of Kylo Ren was just plain stupid, and this was the only character which looked resembling an original figure, all the others where just computer game castes with God-mode imbalances (the pilot, the trooper, the mechanic-scavanger). And while there was some vague intent to connect this to the King Arthur-legend (R2 was the Merlin falling asleep after Luke was transported to Avalon, Maz was the Lady of the Lake, Han was Lancelot, etc.), basically it had no deeper message, it was just some bluff about how every dream-hero ends up creating a totally disfunctional family. (While for example The Last Jedi used a lot of mystic philosophical concepts, both Christian and Buddhist -- mysticism, the art of becoming one with the Supernatural, be this supernatural a God, an automatic higher Law or some kind of abstract Force is generally an interreligious concept based on tolerating the others --, or for example the vision of Rey in the hole was the most stunning visual representation of the philosophical concept of the dharma: it's a complex concept, basically, it says something, that the World is an illusion created from little moments in time, so you die and you get reborn in every minute, while in reality the next you is not the same as the present you or the past you. So this is why I think, Rey still could be a reincarnated Obi-Wan Kenobi, or something. :) )
When I first read more than a decade ago, that Chewy died in Legends, I was also shocked. But later I was thinking about, and realised, it was a logical choice in the novels: Chewy was created mostly for visual jokes, so in most novels he had no real function, even in stories taking place on Kashyyk he was just a supporting character, while most of the talk was made by other newly created characters. But I think, it was still an overkill to destroy the Legends-EU for one character only, especially, because one of the first things the Legends-EU made was to introduce the concept of easy cloning in the Star Wars universe. So basically, anybody, who had money could clone anybody, even with memory. The only thing which was missing is a reason for cloning Chewy, but in a creative environment you could easily find explanations even for that, like maybe Chewy was knowing the secret hiding place of a lost treasure, which is sought after by modern crimelords, so they clone him to recieve this information, or whatever else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 am 
Upper Crust

Well that's it you're my new favorite forum member. You will love Rians new trilogy since it's the first EU of the new EU. Think of it as the expanded universe after the force collapsed in on itself and created a semi reality of force stories.