Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:29 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Two-Disc DVD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:46 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I was wondering will there be a two disc edition of Brick released soon? I hope there will be mainly because I want to see more on how the film was shot and edited and scored. I know that they explained it on the commentary but I'm a big fan of documentaries. I also hope they would have all of the trailers, TV spots, and radio spots on there as well.

http://zombie-flesh-eater.dvdaf.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Haha I don't think there are radio spots but we could make some. A nice big fat DVD would be nice. Let's keep bothering Criterion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 pm 
The Pin's Mom

You could always buy the UK edition. Those swarmy bastards got the long end of the stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:45 am 
Lapdog

sarahalyse wrote:
You could always buy the UK edition. Those swarmy bastards got the long end of the stick.

It's not a very long stick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:02 am 
Drama Vamp

sarahalyse wrote:

As a proud owner of the UK edition I was devastated to hear that the Germans got an even longer stick. Their 2-DVD Steelbook edition has a 45 minute doc "Building Brick" which isn't on the UK 2-DVD version. It also has Brick's English subtitles, which aren't included on the UK set. (And, of course, it has German dubs and subs, but features also the original English Dolby Digital 5.1 sound)

As far as I know the German version lacks nothing the UK version has. I'm not sure if the menus are only in German, but DVD menus aren't that hard to figure out even for those who can't speak German.

So yeah, I guess anyone buying Brick now should opt the German 2-DVD Steelbook if it being PAL Region 2 isn't a deal breaker.
(though don't blame me if there's some surprises as I've never seen it other than on web-shops)

EDIT: OK, so after reading the German web shops more carefully I found out that it might lack the Pin's Den featurette (which is the 3-minute Entering Pin's Den scene from Brick with only music, no sfx nor speech).

It might also lack the 5-minute video diary "London Press trip". But it has a "Featurette zum Dreh" (roughly "Featurette to the Idea/Forming"). That might be the Video Diary or then it's something else not found on the UK edition (as it hardly can be the Pin's Den thingy and all the other Extras are mentioned. E.g. HERE and HERE, in German only)

Anyways, I'd still go for the German Steelbook with the new 45 minute documentary (Building Brick) even if it did lack those other two extras (which it might not since e.g. Pin's Den isn't listed in the UK set in the Extras column, but still has it),

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 am 
The Pin's Mom

Does anyone know why this kind of thing happens? Call me naive, but it seems like if there are special features out there to be had, they should be had by, at the very least, the film's country of origin. If they exist, why not put them on the DVD?

Somebody school me but quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:19 am 
Drama Vamp

sarahalyse wrote:
Does anyone know why this kind of thing happens? Call me naive, but it seems like if there are special features out there to be had, they should be had by, at the very least, the film's country of origin. If they exist, why not put them on the DVD?

Somebody school me but quick.

I want to know this as well. There's a couple of big distributors here in Scandinavia who seem to have taken it as their mission to remove all the extras and especially audio commentaries from their releases. (e.g. Brick and Donnie Darko being couple of the victims.) Almost nothing is dubbed (luckily), so available space for extra audiotracks etc. should never be a problem.

Because the DVDs here lack extras, me and several of my friends frequently buy DVDs from the States even if they have been released here as Region 2 DVDs and carry a similar price tag. In other words, the local distributors are losing our potential money all the time.

So seriously, Why do it??
(Of course having two different editions, like in the UK for Brick, is totally understandable, but that's not the case here.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:41 am 
Upper Crust

cyborgerous wrote:
2-DVD Steelbook edition has a 45 minute doc "Building Brick"

Way to go, documentarygirl!

*cheers*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:44 pm 
Annasthesiologist

We were hustling to get featurettes together for the US DVD release but the reason the euroversions have more features is that we had much more time to get stuff together before the material needed to be finished and sent to the DVD pressing robot army.

If I remember correctly, I was on a vegetable bus trying to put together the little episode about the score in time for the US DVD. Between the oil collecting and our rock 'n' roll lifestyle (which mostly consisted of ponderous reading stints intermingled every other night with the ass-end of grungy rock clubs), I wasn't able to get it done in time.

In fact, I finally ended up going over to Rian's apartment before the UK DVD deadline and giving the "scoring Brick" presentation into a mic on his computer while he sat on the couch making fun of me.

I believe he took photos so that in case they ever do an ultimate kitchen-sink edition, we can have a featurette about the making of the featurette about the making of the score.

But that could take a while. Maybe if we really rushed, we could at least get it done in time for the release the European-ultimate-kitchen-sink edition. (Sorry America, it's the price you pay for early-adoption of the arts. Ahem.... iBrick.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Yeah, now that I think of it I'm pretty sure I've heard that tale before...doesn't mean I can't still pout about it. Sigh....I need me a region-free player.

Post subject: Re: Two-Disc DVD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I've just ordered a 2disc German "Steelbook" version :D

can't wait to watch it ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:15 am 
Fearless Flyer

I'd like to think the further east you go, the better the Brick editions are.

Can't wait for my Thai edition, which comes with rock 'em sock 'em Tug and Brendan. Brendan's arms are non-functional.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:07 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Quote:
Can't wait for my Thai edition, which comes with rock 'em sock 'em Tug and Brendan. Brendan's arms are non-functional.

You can still make it, good luck haha :

Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brick-Pal-Region-3_W0QQitemZ200315867802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item200315867802&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1687|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:41 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

ok, I've got German edition at last !
I have to say that this one is a real gem (I already have US and UK edition)
full of extras in English (German subs can be turned off) and in a solid metal box,
I can fairly recommend this one to every Brick fan, go get it :D

Last edited by Gats on Thu May 21, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:46 am 
Upper Crust

Ooh, does it have additional music by Autobahn?