Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:51 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Film-noir
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:33 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

hmm, I've accidentally watched this one,
a surprisingly good movie,
2 Hot women, 1 tough " Miami Vice car salesman" and a lot of trouble.

The Hot Spot (1990)

Code:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099797/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:38 pm 
Shamus

I liked The Hot Spot!

Jennifer Connelly is great in dark themes movies, I enjoyed "Dark City" by Alex Proyas, and although it's not an ortodox noir film (it's more a fantasy/sci-fi story), Jennifer's character had that 40's aura:

Jennifer Connelly with Alec Baldwin and Aaron Eckhart in a photoshoot by Annie Leibovitz.

and Mélanie Laurent - Shosanna in "Inglorious Basterds":

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I've found 2 nice items, for all "noir" maniacs :

Legendary Film Noir Movies [Import][Soundtrack]

and

Murder Is My Beat: Classic Film Noir Themes And Scenes - Motion Picture Soundtrack Collection [Soundtrack]

Both on Amazon. Very good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

http://www.missingpersonmovie.com/

not as good as BRICK but worth watching :P

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:20 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

rcjohnso wrote:
Just added 'The Big Combo' and 'Gun Crazy' to the old Netflix queue. And Kafka - I haven't seen that since it came out, I wonder how it'll hold up.

Has anyone seen 'Dark Passage'? Really REALLY weird noir with Bogart and Bacall, where the first half hour is shot all from Bogart's POV, Lady in the Lake style. The studio gave them hell for it because they paid all this money for Bogart and you don't see him for a third of the movie.

damnit...why didn't I discover this place years ago?? I like Dark Passage...aside from the POV thing, it's interesting as (I read this somewhere - trying not to place a spoiler in here) some of what Bogart's character did was contrary to what Hollywood code allowed at the time. I can't recall the reason as to why it was allowed a pass, so to speak.

Anyone seen "The Dark Corner"? Clifton Webb and Lucille Ball - really nice noir as well and great to see Ball in a role far removed from what everyone remembers her for....

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:46 pm 
Shamus

Silent Watcher wrote:
rcjohnso wrote:
Just added 'The Big Combo' and 'Gun Crazy' to the old Netflix queue. And Kafka - I haven't seen that since it came out, I wonder how it'll hold up.

Has anyone seen 'Dark Passage'? Really REALLY weird noir with Bogart and Bacall, where the first half hour is shot all from Bogart's POV, Lady in the Lake style. The studio gave them hell for it because they paid all this money for Bogart and you don't see him for a third of the movie.

damnit...why didn't I discover this place years ago?? I like Dark Passage...aside from the POV thing, it's interesting as (I read this somewhere - trying not to place a spoiler in here) some of what Bogart's character did was contrary to what Hollywood code allowed at the time. I can't recall the reason as to why it was allowed a pass, so to speak.

Anyone seen "The Dark Corner"? Clifton Webb and Lucille Ball - really nice noir as well and great to see Ball in a role far removed from what everyone remembers her for....

I've watched "Dark Passage" a few times since I first read this thread, it's a very underrated gem, directed by Delmer Daves, based on a noir story written by David Goodis, which is even darker and pessimistic than the movie starred by Bogart and Bacall. The novel's original title was "The Dark Road", and after reading the galleys, Humphrey Bogart sent them to producer Jerry Wald with a note urging Warner Bros. to adapt them into a film for him and his wife, Lauren Bacall. Goodis objected to the studio imposing a happy ending on Dark Passage, with the final scene showing Bogart’s romantic reunion with Bacall in a coastal town in Peru.

Even in his relatively more optimistic novels, such as Dark Passage (1946), the sense that there is little hope for a happy future is evident in the opening lines: "It was a tough break. Parry was innocent. On top of that he was a decent sort of guy who never bothered people and wanted to lead a quiet life. But there was too much on the other side and on his side of it there was practically nothing. The jury decided he was guilty". (page 249)

His protagonists were usually passive, sometimes frightened men facing a bleak future. Death was ever-present, and an unrelenting sense of fatalism pervades his stories. Goodis' career followed a similar trajectory, for after briefly enjoying mainstream success as a novelist and screenwriter in the late 1940s, his career quickly faded.

Another of his novels "Nightfall" published in 1947, was adapted ten years later, into the film noir directed by Jacques Tourneur starring Aldo Ray, Brian Keith, and Anne Bancroft.

I made a video featuring scenes starred by Bogart and his female co-stars (Dark Passage appears too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K72ewIskJqs

Last week I won a contest about Humphrey Bogart and I received the Essential DVD's collection, so I'm catching up with his early films in Warner and reading anecdotes behind the scenes:

http://jake-weird.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-humphrey-bogart-collection.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:37 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

At last year's RIFF (Reykjavík International Film Festival) there was a rather random screening of an obscure but great hungarian film noir from 1990 called 'Szürkület' (the english language title of the film, however, is 'Twilight') I doubt any of you have seen it.
It is about a few detectives who are on the trail of a child-killer, but actually the plot doesn't matter much, it is much more of a mood-film and it makes use of a lot of classic film noir iconography but doesn't really feel like any other film noir I've ever seen.
It is difficult to describe it without resorting to using worlds like 'dreamy', 'mezmerising', 'mystic' and 'poetic', but those are really the only words to describe this beautiful film, it is like an Andrei Tarkovsky-directed film noir.

My guess it was screened at the behest of hungarian film director Benedek Fliegauf who presented the film and was also at the festival with his new film 'Womb' starring Eva Green, a confounding movie that I'll have to revisit someday, I'm still not quite sure what to make of it, maybe it's because I saw it with a severe headache, not a good state in which to see a film.
But I'm digressing all over the place. 'Szürkület' is almost hopelessly obscure but I was genuinely very affected by it. It should be seen by all film noir-enthusiasts, or just all film-enthusiasts period.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100732/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:33 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

There is a scene from the film on YouTube, the quality is ghastly, but here it is anyway:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUTFYpOMco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
The Pin's Mom

I just have to post in appreciation of your signature. Best character in the whole movie, am I right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

sarahalyse wrote:
I just have to post in appreciation of your signature. Best character in the whole movie, am I right?

Thanks. He absolutely is! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

You may know of this already, but film bloggers 'the Siren' at www.selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com and Marilyn Ferdinand at www.ferdyonfilms.com are hosting a Film Noir Blogathon for film preservation. Read more about it here: http://www.ferdyonfilms.com/?p=8403

I was going through the blogs and found this interesting piece about 'Brick'
http://m0vie.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/n ... iew-brick/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:08 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I, ANNA (2012)

looks very solid, plus ... Gabriel Byrne.

Yes, "Miller's Crossing" is still in top 3 fav. NOIR films on my list :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
Hash Head

Jay Butler wrote:
Okay, I know not that many people are registered to the boards yet, but soon they will be!! I'm spreading the word on everything about this damn movie.

Just wondering if people here (besides Rian) are big noir fans? Noir is my favorite themes in film and reading. I just recently bought "Hammetts Crime Stories & Other Writings", hope it's good. Just finished reading Ethan Coens Gates of Eden...some great stories and some awful ones, but mostly good.

My favorite Noirs would be...

The Maltese Falcon (of course right?)
Double Indemnity
Chinatown
Laura
Blood Simple
Touch of Evil

So....what are some of your guys favorite noirs?

I was wondering what films should one see to fully understand Brick and the 'noir' connection?

I love Maltese Falcon and Chinatown and Double Indemnity.
Is it just detective mysteries that Brick is based on or inspired by?

From Wiki:"Hollywood's classical film noir period is generally regarded as extending from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style."

Main examples include "Out of the Past", Vertigo, and even Blade Runner.
All contain some form of narration as especially Double Indemnity.

I was just wondering because I saw Brick sooo long ago, I don't remember most of it.