Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:06 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I am reading the Maltese Falcon -- per my friend's request, so I plan on watching the movie there after.

I did catch your interview on the podcast and I have to say I thought I knew it all, but I didn't realize you actually had the continential opt as your inspiration than the Maltese Falcon.

And i completely (finally) understand what drove Brendan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:44 pm 
Ass. V.P.

Maltese Falcon is brilliant as well - particularly the bits that didn't make it into Huston's movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Add to the mix:

Bob le Flambeur
The Thin Man
Shoot the Piano Player
Alphaville
The Big Heat
The Killers (1946)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Pickup on South Street
Constantine
The Good Thief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:03 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

blondee wrote:
I am reading the Maltese Falcon -- per my friend's request, so I plan on watching the movie there after.

I did catch your interview on the podcast and I have to say I thought I knew it all, but I didn't realize you actually had the continential opt as your inspiration than the Maltese Falcon.

I'm actually working on a script about a Hindu detective from Benares called "The Subcontinental Op," but I don't suppose that anyone wants to hear that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:12 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

maxfrost wrote:
blondee wrote:

I'm actually working on a script about a Hindu detective from Benares called "The Subcontinental Op," but I don't suppose that anyone wants to hear that.

That is certainly different....tell me more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:53 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Actually, I took the line from a long monologue I wrote about a pulp fiction writer and a character based on Antonin Artaud that takes place in a laundromat/nightclub called the Brain Drain Cafe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:58 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Touch of evil
The big sleep
Laura
Touchez pas au grisbi
Kiss me deadly
Criss cross
Night and the city
They live by night
Le samurai
Detour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:19 pm 
Shamus

rcjohnso wrote:
Maltese Falcon is brilliant as well - particularly the bits that didn't make it into Huston's movie.

Although I can see clearly why the final scene of "Brick" has been often compared with the final dialogued exchange between Sam Spade and Brigid O'Shaughnessy, I think there are some differences (maybe hidden) specially I've noticed what could distance "The Maltese Falcon"'s ending with "Brick"'s watching the original rehearsal scene, my husband also told me his impression that you had a more classical idea in the beginning shooting this final scene at the football field: the noir archetypes were more glorified (Laura showed a higher emotional anguish, she appeared more hurt by Brendan, and more in love with him) while in the official version (really improved through ruley camera angles) you projected upon the characters more ambiguity, less clichéness, so imo you moved some milimetres away the conventions of noir.

In my blog: "Noir Stories"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 pm 
Shamus

Now the highly awaited new essay -not really, but an entertaining new post called "Noir Tales"-.

Last edited by specialcracker on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:17 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

specialcracker wrote:
Now the highly awaited new essay (not really), but an entertaining new post called "Noir Tales".

After which treat yourself and listen to "The Jeweller" from John Cale's Slow Dazzle cd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:14 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
specialcracker wrote:
Now the highly awaited new essay (not really), but an entertaining new post called "Noir Tales".

After which treat yourself and listen to "The Jeweller" from John Cale's Slow Dazzle cd.

... then get out there and start solving a mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 pm 
Upper Crust

there's a great book I've been reading called Film Noir reader. All about Film Noir, essay's and such. Really interesting read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:34 pm 
Shamus

CubanB31 wrote:
maxfrost wrote:

I'm hesitating to listen that "terrible" piece of madness it's "The Jeweller" or "Metal Machine Music", and the only mystery I could solve is how Mr. Cuban changes my quotes about Laura, -apart of deciphering poorly "The Murder Mystery"s lyrics-.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:50 pm 
Upper Crust

specialcracker wrote:
CubanB31 wrote:
maxfrost wrote:

I'm hesitating to listen that "terrible" piece of madness it's "The Jeweller" or "Metal Machine Music", and the only mystery I could solve is how Mr. Cuban changes my quotes about Laura, -apart of deciphering poorly "The Murder Mystery"s lyrics-.

I try...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:53 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

specialcracker wrote:

I haven't heard Metal Machine Music in a couplof decades and, I admit, it's a tough listen, but "The Jeweller" is entirely different, more on the order of "The Gift," only darker. MMM is Lou Reed. "The Jeweller" is John Cale. Both talented, but a big difference.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next