Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:23 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I've watched Brick with classes at a sixth form college (ages 16-18) in UK for two or three years now and it has been an inspiration for many students who haven't seen anything like it before. We've talked a lot about what people like about the film. I would love to know what people think forums and fan sites add to people's enjoyment of Brick or any other film.

I also wondered whether Brick has been more successful here in UK than in USA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:55 am 
Fearless Flyer

More than anything it gives me easy access to fellow fans of a film so that we can discuss a film, celebrate it, debate its meaning, make fun of it, predict its chances, or whatever we want in a conversation.

For me to do the same in real life, with my taste in films, is a task more arduous than it should be. When In The Loop got an Oscar nomination, for example, I had to drive fifteen minutes away to a friend's work just so I'd have someone to high-five and chat with. With film forums, facebook and whatnot, I was able to share the same celebratory news with fellow fans here and around the world.

More to the point, the filmmakers themselves could share their joy with fans such as myself, like when director/co-writer of In The Loop tweeted "Bloomin heck. In The Loop nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar. Bonk me purple."

In the case of something like Brick, it's less an advantage and more of a necessity these days. Kids who watch Brick and immediately love it unconditionally might want to jump into similar films, or they like the film but aren't familiar with the context. At any rate the internet supplies these viewers with help. Fellow fans can suggest what else to watch (or not). Fellow fans can help interpret or fill in. Without informed people to talk to a film like Brick might end up just another oddity on your shelf before Cache and after American Movie - amusing, distracting, but removed of the connection shared by those who appreciate the films.

This can also be a drawback. In the old days, a film won the cult film "honor" through very small and very social means. Midnight screenings on college campuses, VHS tapes worn out from trading amongst friends - appreciation would build up over years. Now it's all very quick. Never saw Slacker? Put it on your netflix queue. Hey, you may even be able to instant-watch. Mabe you even have it already as part of some low-cost 4-pack DVD set. New movies like Repo! The Genetic Opera get marketed as "cult" or "fringe" before they've even built up an audience, taking advantage of the insatiability of film fans that, with more accessibility to their drug of choice, need something NEW and ORIGINAL, NOW! Movies designed to sit in the mind and grow don't get a chance to. They're more disposable than ever.

That's a small drawback, however, and more nostalgic than damaging. I love how film forums allow deserving filmmakers to be celebrated quicker. If this were the 90's a director like Rian might have taken a decade before being able to mount The Brothers Bloom. Now, with the help of internet buzz helping Brick's sales and notoriety, we were able to get The Brothers Bloom within a couple of years. And it was the best film of 2009.

Of course, I don't personally know anyone who's seen it besides one or two of my more frenzied film friends.

On the forums, however?
We are legion.

I hope this has helped you with your homework essay. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Well put, Donnacha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm 
Upper Crust

*High Internet Five*!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 pm 
Upper Crust

Sounds like you just wrote someone's school paper for them.

(Well, I might add.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:41 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

*HIGH 5 RECIEVED* LOL!

I agree with Donnacha.. well said my fellow fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Thanks, Donnacha, for such a thoughtful reply. You haven't written anyone's essay - I just think Brick is a really good film to look at with my classes and it got me thinking about how certain films have an affinity with forums and message boards. People commenting on Brick are asking about symbolism and offering interpretations whereas other films get lots of empathetic responses and still others get discussions about how good or bad or realistic the film is. Anyway, I'm glad I asked.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm 
The Pin's Mom

I'm glad you asked too, lobatse. Donnacha was just referencing a few previous occasions when someone tried to get us to write their homework - in that case, we just teased them mercilessly ;)

Donnacha makes some great points. Film forums like this gives fans almost unprecedented access to the filmmaker, allowing them to ask questions and inspiring them in their own creative endeavors. As Joe is fond of saying on hitRECord, "The media used to be a monologue. It's becoming a dialogue." A forum like this is just a small part of that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:30 pm 
Fearless Flyer

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

sarahalyse wrote:
As Joe is fond of saying on hitRECord, "The media used to be a monologue. It's becoming a dialogue." A forum like this is just a small part of that.

Yeah, that pretty much says it all. As the saying goes, I wrote a long response because I didn't have time to write a short one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

see the R in the url bar?

this forum has nice conversation as well =)

Edit: Slacker is available in full on Youtube