Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Brick blew me away when I saw it on DVD a few years ago, so I wrote up a review that compares it to other releases at the time (Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang and Hollywoodland). The review was published locally in New Orleans.

I just started a new website and posted the Brick review (even tho it is not exactly timely). Clicking on this link will take you directly to it:
http://www.whatcomesafterpostmodern.com/apps/blog/show/5172804-black-coffee-apple-pie-film-noir-pulp-fiction-in-la-

If you like the movie, you should enjoy the review. I hope you will find it to be small slice of entertainment in it's own right.

The film is discussed in a spoiler-free fashion--I am always very sensitive to that--it slays me when reviews reveal too much.

http://www.WhatComesAfterPostmodern.com
the site that asks the question and tries to answer it

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:14 pm 
The Pin's Mom

Welcome to the forum, Kimberly!

I read your article, and I have to say I disagree pretty strongly with your assessment of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. You're right that it wasn't a noir film at heart, but I don't think it wanted to be. The comparison to a kid in their parents' clothes is close but implies a negative attitude I just can't corroborate with such a brilliant piece of comedy. In a sense, KKBB and Brick are opposites: while Brick sought to remove the visual cues from noir and focus solely on the dark core at its heart, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was a comedy that merely took some of those overdone visual cues and effortlessly turned them to great comedic effect.

Also, Johnny Gossamer is the character in the books, not the author's name ;)

But you're still welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:20 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

Fair enough. I had also considered (after writing the piece) that the 2 movies are not setting out to accomplish the same things. Although pulp and noir are related to each other they are not identical.

I still feel that Brick outshines KKBB (as charming as KKBB is) if you view them back-to-back as I did. Although a smaller production, Brick is a more important work. As grandiose as that may sound, I believe it is not inaccurate or irrelevant. But I should have characterized this more carefully in the review.

Thank you for your feedback--I appreciate your insightful and pithy assessment. Will make the Johnny G. correction, and nice forum here ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:44 am 
The Pin's Mom

I applaud your ability to accept feedback graciously. All too rare a skill on these internets.

You're definitely right about the films setting out to accomplish different things. While I agree that Brick is a more "important" film, KKBB is still a clever and eminently rewatchable comedy, which (I think) will stand the test of time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Indeed. And I have done lots of editing (and been thoroughly edited myself), which helps with the feedback thing. I suspect that I also find it hard to react negatively with the profile pic you have "up."

If not asking too much--I'd like to invite you (and/or other similar persons) to take a look at a new site I recently created: http://www.whatcomesafterpostmodern.com

I just posted my 2nd monthly issue and am needing feedback. If you are too busy or find it not to your taste--I get that. But if otherwise, it'd be helpful if you would post any reactions on the site or message me there.

rock on

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 pm 
The Pin's Mom

That is exactly what I look like all the time. I am pretty much constantly jumping around with my mouth open.

I'll definitely check out your site!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:39 am 
Pie-Pan Grease

I believe it! Thanks, and I'd especially appreciate a look at the featured short essay "In Search of the Neoprimitive."

It somewhat academic but designed to be entertaining and relevant to the rest of the world. At least that's my goal. It suggests an answer to the question "what comes after postmodern"

I also posted a couple super-short stories on the personal blog that may be more to your taste. The writing style is very "film-like" in the ways it moves the reader through time and space.

Again, if not of interest ... no worries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:16 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Check out The Black Swan movie review, soon to be followed by a review of Gone, Baby, Gone. While intended to be thought-provoking, they are not exactly timely. I do not claim to be topical ...

http://www.whatcomesafterpostmodern.com/apps/blog/