Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Tug and Brendan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:47 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Hey, new to the forum. Saw Brick for the first time a few months ago and have watched it several times since. It's a terrific film!

I was just curious to see if anyone else thinks Tug is supposed to be the other side of the coin of how Brendan could have turned out? I noticed that their wardrobes are rather similar with the faded blue jeans and white shirts and they both had a relationship with Emily. From what I gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) the order of Emily's boyfriends was Brendan Tug then Dode. It also seems like Tug handled the break-up worse than Brendan did, which to me is what the scar on his head is supposed to represent. As we know, Tug is later pushed over the edge and kills Emily, whereas Brendan tries to help her.

I apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere else, I hadn't had the time to peruse through all of the threads.

Post subject: Re: Tug and Brendan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:26 am 
The Pin's Mom

Y'know, it's been a long time so I might be wrong...but I can't remember ever seeing this theory. I like it!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

I just watched this again tonight for like the 20th time. I thought Tug was a manifestation of Brendan's dark side and / or pent up anger at Emily for the handling of the baby. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3178 It's difficult for me to prove this due to the fact that there are times Tug interacts with others, hence it's difficult to say he's an imaginary presence of Brendan, but it just seems more and more plausible. I suppose I can interpret however I want but lately I've really been hooked on Rob Ager's analysis of Kubrick films and I can't help but see perfectly legitimate reasons for some details of the movie that others dismiss.

I just can't get over that part in the drain pipe where the camera pans over Brendan till he completely covers Tug - I just think that's the biggest indication we should be examining the similarities between Tug and Brendan.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Upper Crust

Unless you're suggesting that Brendan got killed by the police trying to shoot his way out of the Pin's basement then that theory may be a bust.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:20 pm 
Pie-Pan Grease

Day Glo wrote:
Unless you're suggesting that Brendan got killed by the police trying to shoot his way out of the Pin's basement then that theory may be a bust.

Brendan killed Pin and then left his jacket at the murder scene. When he's looking down in horror while Tug supposedly beats Pin I think what's happening is he's leaving that aggression at Pin's place...Tug no longer is part of him. He's already killed Pin and left his jacket, and Tug, there and now he's leaving and looking down in horror at what he did. In fact he leaves through the basement window - the very same place he encountered Tug when previously at the house - and I also make an argument in my thread that the exchange in the basement supports the fact that Tug was manifestation.

I suppose it would be fair to point out that he slipped the gun back into the room but I don't think that's really what happened. He has no way of knowing that gun will be picked up and used by Tug, or that Tug will find it in the darkness, and in fact the gun may have shot someone upstairs so I don't see how he'd be comfortable just leaving it there with his fingerprints on it. If found he could also be indicted for Doad's murder. He initially wrestled the gun away from Tug in the first place - why would he throw it back in there? If he truly had a gun he could have intervened between Tug and Pin and stopped the beating. I suppose my theory would be a little clearer if the scene of him walking away from Pin's death was actually a little LESS clearer - that would probably allow most viewers a little more latitude.

When Brendan does exit the house the loud trumpets stop just as hits the ground. What happened inside the house on the top floor? I don't hear any fighting or see any windows smashed. There should be 10 - 15 kids up there fighting and one of them is shot? It's perfectly quiet around the house and the only thing you hear is the police sirens coming to a residence where they expect to find drugs in a car that I believe Brendan takes home as we have already established that Brain is a manifestation of Brendan's thinking.