Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13189 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1846 847 848 849 850880 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:23 pm 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
But not as good as Stranger Things.

And yea, E.T. begot Super 8 and Super 8 begot Stranger Things and Stranger Things begot thy IT remake, Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:11 am 
Upper Crust

Super 8 > Stranger Things

come at me, bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 am 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Super 8 > Stranger Things

come at me, bro

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:36 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Thought that little girl was insanely good in this.

You don't have any children, do you?
If you do, this might get ugly.

Thanks again for the patience of the best site of any description on the interwebs.
My comment was snarky, uncalled for, and betrays the fact that I am actually glad
that Rocco, Duane, and others enjoyed LAST TRAIN TO BUSAN.

tsukasa13 wrote:
The three acts are all one story but separate genres - body switching comedy, time-travel disaster, and missed-connection romantic drama.

Sorta like BRICK, hunh?
8)
While I'm at it, I may as well say another "Thank You" to all those anime lovers who have endured
my hater comments. My oldest son introduced me to some excellent anime, and PAPRIKA is still a
personal favorite. Call it a senior moment or caffeine deficiency syndrome. idk. My lovely and talented
wife says that I have an essentially growly disposition. She is generous to a fault.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Measure of a Man A middle-aged man, long unemployed and rapidly approaching the age of being permanently unemployed, takes a job as a floorwalker, catching shoplifters and rule-breaking employees. Vincent Lindon as Thierry shows remarkable forebearance with a world that seems intent upon humiliating him and then holding him accountable for the humiliation. Not for the currently unemployed. Directed by Stephane Brize.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:54 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The Measure of a Man A middle-aged man, long unemployed and rapidly approaching the age of being permanently unemployed, takes a job as a floorwalker, catching shoplifters and rule-breaking employees. Vincent Lindon as Thierry shows remarkable forebearance with a world that seems intent upon humiliating him and then holding him accountable for the humiliation. Not for the currently unemployed. Directed by Stephane Brize.

aaahhh, love me some Vincent Lindon. He's like the French version of himself.
Other Lindon projects which I can enthusiastically recommend :
LA MOUSTACHE/Emmanuel Carrère/2005 ~ WELCOME/Philippe Lioret/2009+Film Movement ~ MEA CULPA/Fred Cavayé/2014 ~ BASTARDS/Claire Denis/2013
Other Lindon projects which I enthusiastically want to see :
MADEMOISELLE CHAMBON/Stéphane Brizé/2009 ~ THE WHITE KNIGHTS/Joachim Lafosse/2015 ~ THE MOON CHILD with Emmanuelle Devos/Delphine Gleize/2015
I hope that Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne have a project in mind for him. Or Luc Besson. Or RCJohnso.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Catch-22 Okay, the obvious first. No, it's not as entertaining as M*A*S*H*, nor does it have the impact of the novel it's based on. But Alan Arkin does give a fine performance as Yossarian, the paranoid bombardier and when the film finally kicks in around the two-thirds mark, the surrealist/black comedy aspects are as fine as anything I've seen anywhere else. With lots of other name actors. Screenplay by Buck Henry. Directed by Mike Nichols.

5x2 The biography of a relationship from a first social encounter through their divorce, told backwards in five sequences. I'm not sure why director Francois Ozon, whose films I generally like a lot more than this one, uses this gimmick, except to give the film a happy ending (or, perhaps, a darker impulse is at work). With Valeria Bruni Tedeschi and Stephane Freiss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Catch-22 Okay, the obvious first. No, it's not as entertaining as M*A*S*H*, nor does it have the impact of the novel it's based on. But Alan Arkin does give a fine performance as Yossarian, the paranoid bombardier and when the film finally kicks in around the two-thirds mark, the surrealist/black comedy aspects are as fine as anything I've seen anywhere else. With lots of other name actors. Screenplay by Buck Henry. Directed by Mike Nichols.

I love the book more than almost anything else that's ever been written down in the English language, but I tried giving the movie a shot (and the cast is really ridiculous--Bob Newhart in a fairly minor role?) and without the narrative text it just sounds like everyone's talking in goofy loops--which they do so memorably in the book, but in reading it you can edit in your own pauses. Trying to get all that brilliance into 90 minutes or so mostly makes it seem like they had to machine-gun it all out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:09 pm 
Upper Crust

Beautiful but Dangerous (AKA She Couldn't Help Herself) (1954): Cute romcom about a wealthy young woman (Jean Simmons) who returns to the town where her life was saved 20 years previous, determined to pay the townsfolk back. The local doctor (Robert Mitchum) challenges her. Cute.

A Simple Plan: Bad dealings go worse in the snow. Based on a book that was published before Fargo, but the film was made after; it's not a patch on that. I know a lot of people rate this one highly, and it's not bad, but it didn't do much for me. Directed by Sam Raimi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:13 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Arrival Realized watching the film a second time that what disturbed me most about the story is how the concept of a deterministic universe is set forth without anyone batting an eyebrow concerning the consequent lack of free will. Okay, maybe I'm being a little picky. Then again, maybe I cann't help it.

Naked The first Mike Leigh I ever saw and the only thing I remembered about it was how much I disliked it. Even watching it a second time I have to concede that it's an ugly film. The men are sadistic bastards. The women all masochistic trollops. I found it hard to feel much sympathy, never mind empathy, with anyone in the film. And, yet, David Thewlis's performance as Johnny, the f*cked-up kid from Manchester who comes to London to reconcile(?) with his lost love, is a marvelous piece of work, even to the extent that you almost forget to think about why it takes so long for him to have the crapped kick out of him. While maybe--maybe--not Leigh's best film, it certainly is his boldest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:48 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
John Carpenter - USA - 1986 - 1h 39min
Return View
Boutique director John Carpenter only made 2 features in a lamentably short career. This is the funny one. I like it. The other one, THE THING, is not funny. I like it too. BIG TROUBLE is a mashup of all things pulp, be it comic books, serialized matinees, Shaw Brothers martial arts, or Westerns . Mr. Carpenter is a pulpy kind of director, thus the creative marriage is a felicitous one. Specifically low-brow and self conscious in all the right ways, BIG TROUBLE continues to work for me 31 years later. That, and I have been hinting for a Jack Burton tank top on my birthday.

maxfrost wrote:
Naked The first Mike Leigh I ever saw ...

For some reason I got this confused with Philip Ridley's HEARTLESS. It can't be because Jim Sturgess looks like David Thewlis. Laughing Cow syndrome? Or I suppose a certain kind of heartlessness could imply moral nakedness; in a deterministic universe, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Last King Imagine a Game of Thrones prequel (work with me here), set during some previous long winter, but on skis. The king of Norway has just died--poisoned!--and his infant son is now in line to become king, if he lives long enough. Okay, imagine Terminator set in 12th century Norway... Directed by Nils Gaup.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm 
Upper Crust

Free Fire: My Letterboxd review reads "It's like a couple of twelve-year-olds wrote a movie about an air soft battle and then let Tarantino do a pass on the screenplay," but I feel like this thread is more for earnest impressions of films. This is like a sloppier Reservoir Dogs, not in its production but its content. These characters aren't the hardened criminals we see in Tarantino's debut. They're largely idiots and it just works so well. It's a comedy of errors if ever there was one. Can't wait to catch it with an audience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The Last King Directed by Nils Gaup.

Wait, is Nils related to Uwe ... oh, never mind.

Rocco wrote:
... but I feel like this thread is more for earnest impressions of films ...

I went to college. Fact.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Blazing Saddles What!!?!?!?? You haven't seen Blazing Saddles??!$?!!%//%$! Why are you reading this, then? Go!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13189 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1846 847 848 849 850880 Next