Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1854 855 856 857 858874 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:31 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
For real? Black Pearl is the only one I've seen more than once (I haven't seen 4 or 5 at all) but I can't remember a single scene from 2 - whereas 3 has that brilliant scene in Davy Jones's Locker... and isn't that the one that begins with a child being executed? Memorable, at least.

Yeah, I thought that kid hanging - and then the rest of the film - was pretty unnecessarily dark. I still like 3, but I like them all - I go mostly for the swashbuckling fun & snarky banter & ridiculous sword-based set pieces & oceanic sunsets. 3 is a lot of grey skies and sadness and murder and...Calypso is a bunch of crabs? That final battle is still AWESOME though, but I think 4, and to a greater degree 5, return to the fun serialized form for 5.

2 feels incomplete and overloaded, but it has the 3-way sword fight on the island / moving water wheel, Sparrow as the island god and that whole escape, and everything with the Kraken. It's a good time.

5 really surprised me with its degree of heart and imagnitaive set-pieces, especially this late in the franchise. It also ties a lot of threads from the franchise together in satisfying ways, has some beautiful visuals, and sets up a potential FINAL film in a way that doesn't feel like just part one of a two part adventure (a la 2 & 3.)

Idk, I just watched all 5 in one week and I love them. They should let me do 6.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Pirates of the Caribbean: 1>2>5>4>3

1>3>2>>>>>5/4

Granted, the only one I truly think is a great movie is 1... But I marathon them every summer and get drunk on rum for a day and it's a damn good time. I highly recommend it. Still, the Gore trilogy is leagues ( :D ) better than the others for me, even though those Kon Tiki guys make the ocean look like the single most beautiful thing in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:57 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

BLACK SNOW
Argentina - 2017
Leonardo Sbaraglia and Ricardo Darin are like McQueen and Newman to me. This movie should have set my face on fire. It did not. I am bitterly disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 am 
Upper Crust

It Come At Night: last October I saw a cheap low budget film that took place in a cabin. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4801456/ Two couples holed up together. The cinematography​ was awful, and so too was the acting. So what's the difference here? The cinematography is really good and so is the acting. But the story, oh my God. Why. I find it frustrating when a filmmaker goes minimalist, but this really was on the edge of being close to good. The positive reception for this film really made me upset. I haven't seen a bad film in theatres for a while, but this was bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:40 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
I haven't seen a bad film in theatres for a while, but this was bad.

You're doing a lot better than me, then. If I pay for a ticket, it's usually because I've allowed myself to be conned.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am 
Upper Crust

CBGB: he comic book motif and its accompanying onomatopoeia are obnoxious and probably why the editing is so jarring, but Rickman is always good, it features some bands that never even played there, and I love hearing the first 25 seconds of good songs, so I guess it's worth a watch.

Withnail and I: Rarely is a film so elevated by a single performance. And a debut performance, no less.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre When it came to spinning yarns on celluloid, nobody got the best of John Huston.

Something Like Happiness Slice-of-life drama about twenty-somethings and their families living in a small, industrial Czech town. A film that feels as though it owes a lot to Mike Leigh, lives lived in the midst of despair and, yet... Always that "and, yet..." Another winner from both Film Movement and the Czech Republic. Directed by Bohdam Slama.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:57 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
Another winner from both Film Movement and the Czech Republic. Directed by Bohdam Slama.

Hear Ye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 pm 
Upper Crust

Masterminds: Some genuinely hilarious moments make up for it being the type of comedy you feel like you have watched half of on cable like 60 times before. Owen Wilson is completely unnecessary in this movie (and I'm a fan).

Thief: Is this movie talked about enough? I mean you guys all probably know about it, and I see it mentioned on Letterboxd every now and then but, before the internet made talking about movies way too easy, I guarantee I NEVER heard about this. What an impressive debut for not only Mann but for Robert Prosky (also the debut for Jim Belushi, William Petersen, and Dennis Farina). James Caan's best?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 am 
Upper Crust

Solaris: A psychiatrist is sent to a space station orbiting another planet when the crew start behaving oddly. Long, and slow, and I nearly fell asleep on several occasions because it is long and slow and quiet and features the delicate lullaby of machines gently humming. But worth it. Wonderful. Written & directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.

Dead End: A day in the life of a waterfront street on the East Side of Manhattan. Excellent crime drama as a street kid gang, a working class architect, a wanted gangster, and the newly gentrified apartment block collide. Featuring Joel McCrea, Humphrey Bogart, Sylvia Sidney and Wendy Barrie. Adapted by Lillian Hellman, directed by William Wyler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:10 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Solaris: A psychiatrist is sent to a space station orbiting another planet when the crew start behaving oddly. Long, and slow, and I nearly fell asleep on several occasions because it is long and slow and quiet and features the delicate lullaby of machines gently humming. But worth it. Wonderful. Written & directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.

Dead End: A day in the life of a waterfront street on the East Side of Manhattan. Excellent crime drama as a street kid gang, a working class architect, a wanted gangster, and the newly gentrified apartment block collide. Featuring Joel McCrea, Humphrey Bogart, Sylvia Sidney and Wendy Barrie. Adapted by Lillian Hellman, directed by William Wyler.

Great choices. Reviewed with distinction. Keep up the fine work. Have a cigar. Or not. You rock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The LEGO Batman Movie Way too clever for its own good, but funny when it's being self-referential and overall entertaining until it becomes message-driven for family consumption.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The LEGO Batman Movie Way too clever for its own good, but funny when it's being self-referential and overall entertaining until it becomes message-driven for family consumption.

Like a Michael Bay joint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:19 am 
Upper Crust

The Stars Look Down: A miner's son (Michael Redgrave) goes to university, with the plan of protecting his community from the awful conditions they face in the coal mine, but his distracted, betrayed and defamed. Leading to inevitable tragedy. It's really good, and a story of private companies disregarding blatant and repeated warnings about safety in order to pursue profiteering rings horribly true in light of recent events in London. Directed by Carol Reed.

Django the Condemned: An American exile in Mexico gets caught up in local problems. The title is a cash in. No connection to the Franco Nero character. Only 85 minutes, and not worth your time.

Attack of the 50ft Woman (nineteen-fifty-whatever): I was kind of surprised by how well put-together this is, but incredibly frustrated by how delayed and underwhelming the actual "attack" is. I'm gonna be honest: I was hoping for Godzilla but with a woman.

Contact: An astronomer (Jodie Foster) searches for signs of alien life. I'd never heard of this film until recently. It's wonderful. A solid, clever, grown-up drama with real questions and thoughts about our world and our place in it. Foster is magnetic, as is Matthew McConaughey as the "spiritual advisor to the White House". Also with James Woods, Tom Skerrit, David Morse, Jena Malone, William Fichtner, John Hurt and Angela Bassett. Written by James V. Hart and Michael Goldenberg, based on Carl Sagan's novel, and directed by Robert Zemeckis.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:44 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Contact

The narrative is much like Sagan himself; complex, brilliant, annoying, and ultimately fill-in-the-blank depending on one's assessment of Sagan. As David describes, certainly worth at least one go around. For me the breadth and general excellence of characterizations was a clincher, easily overcoming the determined pace.

Day Glo wrote:

Attack of the 50ft Woman 1958: I was kind of surprised by how well put-together this is, but incredibly frustrated by how delayed and underwhelming the actual "attack" is. I'm gonna be honest: I was hoping for Godzilla but with tits.

Fixed.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13110 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1854 855 856 857 858874 Next