Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1875 876 877 878 879 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:17 am 
Fearless Flyer

A Touch of Zen: hell yeah MUCH fun, Jodorowsky must have seen this. The romantic comedy first 40 minutes is great. The cine is off the charts.
Right Now, Wrong Then: YES
The Ascent: Amazing.
Floating Weeds: Gimme this shit i need it
A City of Sadness: There are two things to know about me: I always keep my word and im extremely into Taiwanese history
Le Pont du Nord: If i had a time machine I'd play DnD with Rivette
Happy Hour: Five hour film about middle aged Japanese women!?! straight into my veins please

I've studied the matter carefully and come to the conclusion that Elem Klimov a most underrated director.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Great list! Thnx, kg!

Colossal Writer-director Nacho Vigalondo must think that if you throw enough genres into the mix that nobody will notice that two plus two doesn't add up. Guess what? With Anne Hathaway (if you like that sort of thing) and Jason Sudeikis giving a quite effective performance and Tim Blake Nelson, always good for a watch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:03 am 
Upper Crust

Thor: Ragnarok
Superfunny. But! This isn’t really a Thor movie. This is a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, much like Spider-man Homecoming is not a Spider-man movie (there’s hardly any webslinging and other spidey things in it) it’s an Iron Man’s sidekick movie. And I love guardians of the galaxy, so that should be a good thing, but it kinda isn’t. ‘Cause Thor has been established as a naive do gooder from a almost shakespearean world. So changing him into Star Lord (and he is EXACTLY like Star Lord in this one) without any real reason, just doesn’t add up, and it’s even quite disrespectful to the previously established mythology. Marvel seems to have stopped taking itself seriously, and had stepped into the realm of full on parody. And it’s funny, it is, but it does make me miss this Marvel quite a bit. And what mythology there is in this one would’ve been SO great if handled the Branagh way. I would’ve liked to have seen that. Taika Waititi, whom I greatly respect, made a pretty great movie, but maybe not a pretty great vehicle for Thor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

kgsullivan wrote:

I've studied the matter carefully and come to the conclusion that Elem Klimov a most underrated director.

I have not studied the matter carefully, but think the same of his wife, Larisa Shepitko, director of THE ASCENT and WINGS. Her early death was, and remains, a tragedy.

CRUELTY
Anton Sigurdsson - Iceland - 2016
NOBODY does noir as well as the Scandinavian. You may quote me.

STUFF AND DOUGH
Cristi Piui - Romania -2001
Like Piui's 2005 THE DEATH OF MR. LAZARESCU, STUFF AND DOUGH has no pace in the commonly understood sense of the word. Also like LAZARESCU, S&D ends on such an unmistakable note that the viewer sees the windup in hindsight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:47 pm 
Upper Crust

Notting Hill: An ineffective British shopkeeper (Hugh Grant) has a chance encounter with an American film star (Julia Roberts) and they fall in love. It could be sharper, it could be funnier - but the bones are strong, and the thing works in its own unhurried, distinctly British way. Some of the jokes are cracking. Grant really holds the film remarkably well; he's a generous leading presence but nobody steals this from him. Roberts doesn't have much to work with in the first half but fills in as the film moves on. Lots of recognisable faces in supporting roles, including Rhys Ifans, Alec Baldwin, Hugh Bonneville, Emily Watson, Gina McKee, and a very young Mischa Barton in one scene. Some of the soundtrack choices are... of their time. Written by Richard Curtis, directed by Roger Michell.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:53 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Notting Hill: An ineffective British shopkeeper (Hugh Grant) has a chance encounter with an American film star (Julia Roberts) and they fall in love. It could be sharper, it could be funnier - but the bones are strong, and the thing works in its own unhurried, distinctly British way. Some of the jokes are cracking. Grant really holds the film remarkably well; he's a generous leading presence but nobody steals this from him. Roberts doesn't have much to work with in the first half but fills in as the film moves on. Lots of recognisable faces in supporting roles, including Rhys Ifans, Alec Baldwin, Hugh Bonneville, Emily Watson, Gina McKee, and a very young Mischa Barton in one scene. Some of the soundtrack choices are... of their time. Written by Richard Curtis, directed by Roger Michell.

Well written, David.

BEYOND HERE
Hugo Bousquet - Belgium - 2015
Had the feel of a Camus short story without the execrable misanthropy. Exposition is essentially limited to the score, which works in this instance. I stuck with it because of the brain melting landscapes and the well honed minimalist narrative. Others may find less to like.
trailer

CLAIR OBSCUR
Yesim Ustaoglu - Turkey | France | Germany | Poland - 2016
Ms. Ustaoglu has helmed a monumental film by, about, and for women which men would do well to heed. Lead actresses Funda Eryigit and especially Ecem Uzun do phenomenal work. Where does Turkey grow these geniuses?
trailer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:42 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Genius The story of author Thomas Wolf's relationship with his editor, Maxwell Perkins, and the beginning of modernism. With actors like Jude Law, Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman, Laura Linney, Guy Pierce and Dominic West (and a subject like "writing and writers") you don't need signposts pointing to comparisons when the audience is way ahead of the film in reaching conclusions. Directed by Michael Grandage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
Well written, David.

Thanks for the kind words, as ever, Neil.

Vivre ca vie: Half a film.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Some Like It Hot I've never been as excited about this Billy Wilder film as most people I know are, largely, I think, because I find Jack Lemmon annoying in general and his performance in Some Like It Hot in particular. What I did like a great deal this time around was the self-referential humor and other forms of inside folks (such as Tony Curtis doing a Cary Grant impression while impersonating an oil magnate) and the film's pacing, which makes the two-hour run seem a lot shorter than it is. as well as the way the various gags are constructed. Also with Marilyn Monroe, George Raft, Pat O'Brien and Joe E. Brown.

Bringing Up Baby Cary Grant as a befuddled paleontologist, Katharine Hepburn as a scatterbrain socialite, and a young, "I Can't Give you Anything But Love" loving leopard named Baby. One of the great classic screwball comedies. With Charles Ruggles. Directed by Howard Hawks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am 
Upper Crust

The Little Hours: One of those things that seems super fun on paper, especially with the cast it has, but it just doesn't work very well at all. Disappointing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:38 am 
Upper Crust

Murder on the Orient Express: Sort of a non-movie, right? An ensemble piece where very little of the ensemble gets much screen time, let alone time together. It's a self-serious two-ish hour "mystery" that seems to think it's a fair deal more clever than it is. Even if you're not familiar with the source or other adaptations, you'll have it figured out straight away. The glory 65mm cinematography is nice, as are the scattered moments of levity, but it's all very clean, dry, and convenient. It doesn't help that Kenneth Branagh directs and stars, effectively pointing the camera at himself to look right back into it and deliver feely monologues on morality, hand outstretched for awards. Ugh.

A few takes that wold have been an improvement:
- Go hard with the mystery, put a few new spins on it, dig deep and stay ahead of the audience.
- Conversely, run with those funny bits and go full Clue-style caper. To that end...
- That one interesting straight-overhead-looking-down shot? Shoot the whole thing like that. Who gives a shit.
- Scrap the ensemble and have Willem Dafoe play every character in a variety of wigs and accents.
- No really, just do that last one.
- Please.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Mr. Nobody High concept, shaggy dog tale whose bark is worse than its bite. A film that's pretty to look at. Almost as pretty as its lead, Jared Leto. Also with Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger and Rhys Ifans. Directed by Jaco van Dormael.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Murder on the Orient Express:
Ugh.

I dunno, I kinda really enjoyed myself. Do I have a Kenneth Branagh weak spot? Possibly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:31 pm 
Upper Crust

I think the last movie I saw was Girl, Interrupted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:38 pm 
Upper Crust

GIRL, INTERRUPTED (1999)
Director of Photography: James Mangold
Director: Jack N. Green
#oneperfectshot

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13179 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1875 876 877 878 879 Next