Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13404 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1890 891 892 893 894 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:
Please name good fantasy films before LOTR as there are many, but I cannot remember at the moment

THE NEVERENDING STORY Wolfgang Peterson 1984
This worked well enough for me long ago that I had a VHS tape copy. Tape. Have not seen it in a long time, but think it might be worth a try if you have not seen it before. Happy hunting.

Holds up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Neil_Leach wrote:
circuitsnake wrote:
Please name good fantasy films before LOTR as there are many, but I cannot remember at the moment

THE NEVERENDING STORY Wolfgang Peterson 1984
This worked well enough for me long ago that I had a VHS tape copy. Tape. Have not seen it in a long time, but think it might be worth a try if you have not seen it before. Happy hunting.

Holds up.

I remember liking one of the sequels the most. And that, I presume, will NOT hold up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm 
Upper Crust

power rangers how do you fuck up Power Rangers?!?!!?!!!!

the haunting Owen Wilson gets beheaded, late 90s CGI vfx lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 am 
Upper Crust

re-watched Spider-Man: Homecoming and most of my problems with it went away. The humor works and doesn't feel like all of the other Marvel stuff. They actually let their emotional moments breathe, which was my biggest problem with Guardians 2 (every time something happens, BAM, joke). I still think this works better as a movie within its very own cinematic universe, but that ain't the world we live in anymore, and the inclusion of all the Avengers stuff worked a lot better for me this time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Pilgrimage 13th century Irish monks transport their most sacred relic, a rock that was almost used to bash in the head of St. Mathias, the apostle chosen to replace Judas, to Rome. Brigands and questions of faith get in the way. Pretty scenery around these parts (which I think is actually Belgium), but the film's pacing goes flat from time to time. Impressive performances, though, including Tom Holland as a novice. Directed by Brendan Muldowney.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm 
Upper Crust

Scooby Doo 2 is Guardians of the Galaxy......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
13th century Irish

That's all I need to know. Thanks for the warning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
maxfrost wrote:
13th century Irish

That's all I need to know. Thanks for the warning.

They had a lovely book to work off of, which is stored just below the most jaw-dropping room I've ever accidentally wandered into.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 am 
Upper Crust

Terminator Yay!
Kindergarten Cop I guess?
Total Recall Yes.
Last Action Hero Yay!
Eraser Meh.
End of Days Yes.
The 6th Day Sure.
Collateral Damage Meh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:51 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I WON'T COME BACK / YA NE VERNUS - Ilmar Raag - Kazakhstan | Russia | Estonia | Finland | Belarus - 2014
Won the Tribeca Film Festival 2014 Nora Ephron Prize - Special Jury Mention
Won the 2014 VIII Andrey Tarkovsky International Film Festival "The Mirror" Award for Professional Achievements
This movie has a mature, sophisticated look. Color, camera angles, shot composition, locations, yadada yadada, all that stuff is solid. Because I'm such a knee-jerk person, the first 5 seconds of a movie mean a lot to mean. I WON'T COME BACK opens with a perfect shot of nowhere, i.e. a nondescript Russian urban location. Nailed. Young principal Polina Pushkaruk has a One-Of-Those-Faces physiognomy. Ingrid Bergman level for me. I estimate her age at the time of this movie at 20±. She clearly has extensive theater experience and director Raag skillfully utilizes the full breadth of her range. Those scenes where she runs up against a talent hard stop are hardly the sort of thing which would cause a reasonable person to think "less than excellent". Her foil is an even younger person whose talents are close to a match for Pushkaruk's. The narrative is believable and authoritative. Some judicial cutting room trimming would have made this movie a more integral and effective vehicle. As it is I would like to see more work by this director and this actor. Nazdarovya!
youtube transfer of adequate quality
Russian trailer
amazon prime

this is too much like work

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 am 
Upper Crust

Colossal: Gloria (Anne Hathaway) is an alcoholic. Thrown out by her boyfriend (Dan Stevens), she goes back to her hometown, and re-connects with her childhood friend Oscar (Jason Sudeikis). Also, a giant monster is terrorising South Korea. These things are connected. The metaphor seems obvious at first, and the path laid out ahead of the movie seems clear, but along the way writer-director Nacho Vigalondo takes so many unexpected turns that before you know it you've ended up in place both perfectly laid out and entirely unpredictable. Excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:08 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Star Trek Beyond The intrepid crew of the Starship Enterprise once again goes boldly where (and so on) and saving the Federation from a dastardly plan to destroy it, but at least this time with a screenplay co-writen by Simon Pegg and Doug Jung, filled with enough destruction, sight gags, and running jokes to choke a Transpluvanian nerdenguster. The cast is clearly having a great deal of fun (Pegg as Scottie especially) and there's a heck of a lot of action packed into just two hours. With (besides the returning cast) Idris Elba. directed by Justin LIn.

Who's That Knocking at My Door? Martin Scorsese's first feature-length film, something of a prelude to Mean Streets, with a very young (and very good-looking) Harvey Keitel as a low-level wise guy who falls in love with a woman he thinks is a virgin. Interesting enough for a first feature.

Pennies from Heaven Steve Martin as a traveling salesman during the Depression, selling sheet music to music stores somewhere outside of Chicago, a man who believes that song lyrics can come true. Married to a woman who lacks faith and imagination (and, apparently, a sex drive), he takes up with a farmer's daughter/school teacher. Martin is his usual exuberant self, lip syncing to recordings of period songs and tap dancing his big old heart out, while Bernadette Peters as the Other Woman channels Ruby Keeler. But laurels go to Vernel Ragniers and his slo-mo crazy legs dancing to a melodic "Pennies from Heaven" and to Christopher Walken as a pimp performing a tap dance striptease in a dive bar. The film does bog down near the end, but most of the time it's a fun watch. Also with Jessica Harper. Directed by Herbert Ross.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

JELLYFISH - Shira Geffen - Israel | France - 2007
Return View.
I have only seen one other movie like this, Hirokazu Koreeda's 1995 MABOROSI. Nuff said.

NOTE :
מדוזה / MEDUZOT / JELLYFISH is directed by Shira Geffen AND Etgar Keret.
AND ...
There is one more movie that I can add to the list of those that have hit me so hard I'm still spinning.
מדוזה / MEDUZOT / JELLYFISH
幻の光 / MABOROSHI NO HIKARI / MABOROSI (literally : "PHANTASMIC LIGHT", best translation "A TRICK OF LIGHT"
LA MUJER SIN CABEZA / THE HEADLESS WOMAN
For me, ok?, for me everything else is something less.

NOTE¹ :
For anyone racking their brain to remember the song that belongs to the tune used in the opening scenes and the end credits,
it is Edith Piaf's 1945 LA VIE EN ROSE sung in Hebrew on a 1997 recording by Korin Allal. Anytime.

FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS - Stephen Frears - UK - 2016
No mortal should be able to make a movie this entertaining.

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm 
Upper Crust

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (2010): No mortal has made a movie this entertaining. Anyone know which planet Edgar is from?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

In the Shadow of Women Deception, infidelity, equivocation--just in time for Valentine's Day! With Clotilde Courac, Stanislas Merhar, and Lena Paugam. Directed by Philippe Garrel.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13404 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1890 891 892 893 894 Next