Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13785 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1904 905 906 907 908919 Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Office Christmas Party Raucous, rowdy, and raunchy comedy that follows the classic pattern of "when things go from bad to worse and from worse to as bad as they can be, then they go crazy." Funny, but not knock-down funny. With Jason Bateman, Olivia Munn, T.J. Miller, and Jennifer Anniston. Directed by Will Speck and Josh Gordon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL - Curtis Hanson - USA - 1997
Return View
Allow me to fall upon the sword of my own hyperbole. This thing is so solid, you could park an aircraft carrier on its forehead and it would only complain about the shade. In a world where oranges and apples could easily be mistaken one for another, the title L.A. CONFIDENTIAL could be mentioned in the same breath as CHINATOWN without worry of becoming entangled in an oxymoron. If one is of such a mind, the trivia section of IMDb's L.A. CONFIDENTIAL casebook has some fun facts to know and tell.

sincere best wishes to all posters and lurkers as well as to the titular head of this august enterprise.
uhm, Justin, you've had my vacation request
form for, like, 3 months now, so, what gives?

it's also what page we are on.
but you knew that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 am 
Upper Crust

Annihilation: A soldier, Kane (Oscar Isaac), has returned from a mission. Or has he? He's been missing for a year, but is unable to describe what happened to him. His wife, Lena (Natalie Portman), a biologist, wants answers. They're taken to Area X. An place or a location? There's a difference, I think. It's near the Shimmer. What's the Shimmer? Nobody knows. That's what Kane was sent to find out. Him and dozens of others in the years since the phenomenon began. Lena goes in, with Dr. Ventress (Jennifer Jason Lee), Cass (Tuva Novotny), Anya (Gina Rodriguez), and Jose (Tessa Thompson). Flowers bloom in unlikely ways. Animals appear in distorted versions of themselves. Tattoos move unremarked upon like butterflies, flitting from body to body. Time, light, living things seem twisted and mutated into forms beautiful and horrifying. The word "visionary" is used a lot to praise filmmakers working in sci-fi; here it is as justified as it has been any time in the last 30 years. Images and ideas to haunt and hurt in equal measure. Chilling, stomach-churning, dazzling. Also with Benedict Wong, David Gyasi, Sonoya Mizuno. Production design by Mark Digby; music by Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow; cinematography by Rob Hardy; edited by Barney Pilling; from the novel by Jeff Vandermeer; written & directed by Alex Garland.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Rosemary's Baby A young, lapsed Catholic named Rosemary, married to an actor (!), becomes the bearer of Satan's son. Gothic camp, but good for an evening's entertainment. With Mia Farrow, John Cassavetes, Ruth Gordon, Elisha Cook, Jr., and Ralph Bellamy. Directed by Roman Polanski.

California Typewriter Documentary about people who collect, research, use as tools to write, use as sculptures, repair, and just plain like the look of typewriters, all centered around a storefront business in Berkeley called California Typewriter. Fascinating. Almost wants to make me want to go out and buy a typewriter myself (if working models weren't so expensive). Celebrities interviewed include Tom Hanks, John Mayer, Sam Shepard, and David McCullough. Directed by Doug Nichol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:38 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

4.21.18 NOTE : This review is grossly unfair. A new review will be written when I see ALIEN :
COVENANT again. Next time I will be sure to have on comfortable under garments.

ALIEN : COVENANT - that guy - some place - whenever
The above was the last frame of the film. I had been thinking of all the people who had enjoyed a
period of gainful employment during the production and dissemination of this movie. I was very
happy for them. Work is great when you can get it. For myself, I had to endure two droning
hours of a mishmash of tropes that were dead 30 years ago. This script is an embarrassment
and an insult to the worthy actors associated with it. A pox on this stupid, gutless,
puerile motion picture entertainment.
Katherine Waterston has her daddy's eyes.
Amy Seimetz is always wonderful.
Billy Crudup is always wonderful, but jeepers, the least you can do is give the man good material.
So, uh, why did Walter sound like Christian Bale? No, I'm not.

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:48 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil, I got a great laugh out of that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

I'm glad you did, partner. I had to pull up IN THE LOOP to get my brain jump-started after it was bludgeoned into insensibility by repeated traumatic disappointments. Isn't exaggeration wonderful?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:56 pm 
Upper Crust

Lady Snowblood: Gave me pretty much exactly what I wanted. Kept thinking, "Quentin, eat your heart out," and wasn't surprised in the slightest when I saw on the wiki that he made everyone in Kill Bill watch this. Overstays its welcome by about ten minutes, but I've never been very fair to movies from the seventies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:

I rewatched a lengthy sequence from the middle of this last night - about from the first infection through to the mis-attribution of Ozymandias - and was reminded how much I enjoyed so much of it in the cinema. There are bits which feel scuzzy and unpleasant and cynical, but there's also, for me at least, a real sincere joy in the arch-madness of the flute scene and the flashback to David's arrival on the planet, as well as the viscera of the wheat field attack. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, Neil.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:46 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

David, like you, I am a big boy. Disappointments don't dent me. As always, I am gratified whenever anyone gets any enjoyment from anything, and I was deadly earnest about appreciating the economic impact of the movie's production for many people. Enjoyment is a rare and valuable commodity. The flute scene was quite dramatic, I'll grant you. I just knew that David was going to shove the flute through Walter's head. No doubt director Scott was fully alive to the clear vulnerability of Walter.

ROMANCING THE STONE - Robert Zemeckis - USA - 1984
RtS is a lovely action / adventure / comedy / romance with a fantastic script, a strong cast, A-team directing and Production juice from no less than Michael Douglas, who worked alongside Kathleen Turner to superb effect. In 1978, while working "every spare hour for a year" on RtS, screenwriter Diane Thomas worked as a waitress at Coral Beach Cantina on the Pacific Coast Highway. It took less than a week for her agent to sell the script. "It just had a spontaneity about the writing," Douglas said of the screenplay. "She was not cautious. The script had a wonderful spirit about it. . . . There was a total lack of fear to the writing. It worked." Thomas died in an auto accident in 1985. The success of RtS artistically and financially is a fitting tribute to her memory.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 pm 
Upper Crust

Day Glo wrote:
Neil_Leach wrote:

I rewatched a lengthy sequence from the middle of this last night - about from the first infection through to the mis-attribution of Ozymandias - and was reminded how much I enjoyed so much of it in the cinema. There are bits which feel scuzzy and unpleasant and cynical, but there's also, for me at least, a real sincere joy in the arch-madness of the flute scene and the flashback to David's arrival on the planet, as well as the viscera of the wheat field attack. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, Neil.

To me, it was one of those movies that just SHOULD have been way better. Sure, I know, you can say that about any movie, but that one really should and could have been great. So when it was just (in my opinion) very average, I was pretty bummed. I'm curious how I'll feel when i inevitably watch it again.

Permanent Midnight
: Did I miss something? Why did Ben Stiller not get more serious roles? Did he not like this type of acting? He's tremendous here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
I'm curious how I'll feel when i inevitably watch it again.

I will like it better the second time. Probably better than that the third time. So it goes.
Where the franchise might go from here : starting with (not telling)
and a ship full surprises for the homies is tantalyzing. Well, it could
do (nope), or (nyet), or even (ixnay). It could make the Battle of
Sharpsburg look like a BPOE convention. Droooooooooool.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:15 am 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Permanent Midnight: Did I miss something? Why did Ben Stiller not get more serious roles? Did he not like this type of acting? He's tremendous here.

Douglas Adams once said of him (in 1999 or 2000), "Ben Stiller stands still better than most actors act." (Paraphrased; he almost certainly said it better.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:51 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

ALIEN : COVENANT
How about -
Amy Seimetz - Daniels
Katherine Waterston - Faris
Callie Hernandez - Karine
Carmen Ejogo - Upworth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

La Bete Humaine Jean Gabin as a train engineer subject to blackouts during which he's likely to commit acts of violence. I've seen Gabin give better performances, but so what? Directed with the utmost sensitivity--as usual--by Jean Renoir. Also with Simone Simon.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets An entire planet is destroyed when a battle takes place in the sky above it, during which extremely dangerous weapons are used recklessly. Decades later, the survivors show up to reclaim what's thiers: their right to exist as a species. The story's thin, the characters are thinner, and the acting is ice that wouldn't hold a sparrow. I did like some of the set pieces. Ethan Hawke as an organ playing, sideshow hustling pimp was my favorite part of the film. Rather disappointing when you consider that it was directed by Luc Bresson.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13785 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1904 905 906 907 908919 Next