Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13733 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1908 909 910 911 912916 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:42 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Turns out I was right ...

I could have told you that.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:05 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA - Nuri Bilge Ceylan - Turkey | Bosnia and Herzegovina - 2011
IMDb - Wikipedia - Cineuropa
Return View
Among living film makers, the ones I esteem most highly are Hirokazu Koreeda, Matteo Garrone, Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne, and Nuri Bilge Ceylan. If I had never seen STALKER, I would say that this film is the best that I had ever seen. Jussayin. Aspect ratio - 2.35 : 1, camera - Sony F35. At the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, ANATOLIA tied with the Dardenne's KID ON A BIKE for the Grand Prize of the Jury and was nominated for the Palme d'Or. It currently boasts 19 awards.

28 standard definition screenshot album starts here

Ceylan and his cinematographer on WINTER SLEEP talk
about their choice of the Sony F65 4K digital camera.

Cineuropa :
The film is packed with dialogue, mostly small talk, so I take it you care deeply about what these people have to say.
Ceylan :
Yeah, small town people are a very different sort of people for me. They show you a different part of life, you learn a lot from them. If you only live in the city, I think you’re missing out on something in life.

THE SUMMIT - Santiago Mitre - Argentina - 2017
I love you anyway, Ricardo Darín. Santiago, baby, you got some dues to pay before you can play with the big dogs. Yes, I know the syntax is incorrect. Just shows how much I care. Great locations, mwah.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:12 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Filmstruck/Criterion* suggestions for Mr. Circuit Q. Snake
(off the top of my sleepy head) :

JAPAN

Hiroshi Teshigahara : the poet/philosopher
THE FACE OF ANOTHER 1966
WOMAN IN THE DUNES 1964
PITFALL 1962

Masahiro Shinoda : the professional
DOUBLE SUICIDE 1969
ASSASSINATION 1964
PALE FLOWER 1964

Kon Ichikawa : the shape shifter
FIRES ON THE PLAIN 1959
AN ACTOR'S REVENGE 1963
THE BURMESE HARP 1985

Akira Kurosawa : the perfectionist
STRAY DOG 1949
DRUNKEN ANGEL 1948
THE BAD SLEEP WELL 1960

Kaneto Shindô : the dramatist
KURONEKO 1968
ONIBABA 1964
THE NAKED ISLAND 1960

Nagisa Ôshima : the French ex-patriot
VIOLENCE AT NOON 1966
JAPANESE SUMMER : DOUBLE SUICIDE 1967
EMPIRE OF PASSION 1978

Seijun Suzuki : the stone crazy mofo
YOUTH OF THE BEAST 1963
BRANDED TO KILL 1967
TOKYO DRIFTER 1966

Let me know how many of these you have already seen.
The 1960s in Japan were crazy go nuts, fareal.

*these titles were in Criterion's catalog at one time and should be still.
whether or not all titles are available through Filmstruck is a matter
far beyond my limited means.

don't worry, kid, the first one's always free

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Awful Truth A happily married couple decide to split after suspecting each other of infidelity. Months later, when they learn of the soon-to-be-ex's approaching engagement to someone else, they spring into action to prevent it. Cary Grant and Irene Dunn (as the couple) play their scenes together as though they were on opposing sides at Wimbledon and the physical comedy is pretty hilarious as well. Also with, Ralph Bellamy. Directed with the right amount of archness and with a pinch of schmaltz by Leo McCarey.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am 
Upper Crust

I actually cancelled FilmStruck for now. I've seen most of those films save for a few. But I'm going to get it again. Currently going through every free trial of every streaming service I can find just for the fun of it.

I have seen most of those Japanese films save for a few. I will add them to this list. Gave in and bought a Criterion copy of Code Unknown.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 am 
Upper Crust

Recently revisited The Land Before Time. Obviously it holds up, but still surprised me that the sadness & grit I recalled from watching this movie in childhood really is there. Society tells me that this became a very bright, goofy, musical franchise for the next 20+ years, but child me never saw a need to continue what is an excellently crafted & completed story, so why should I? Directed and produced by Don Bluth and executive produced by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall. Would love to see this rag tag little team craft a live-action adventure story. Potential, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:40 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
... bought a Criterion copy of Code Unknown.

Most Excellent Choice! You rise I my esteem continually. Not that you need it, I'm sure. 8)

NEW BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY - Kinji Fukasaku - Japan - 1974 IMDb
My first Fukasaku. Without breaking a sweat, I deduce that this director is a favorite of Quentin Tarantino. For why, Neil? Why that is? Beeeeeeecoooooooozzzzzzzzz, this movie has the look and feel of American grindhouse. It's greasy, cheesy, flimsy, flamboyant (flamsy), and chock to the rafters with gratuitous : T / A / profanity / cruelty / stupidity / venality / and every salacious manifestation conceived by the union of excess alcohol and testosterone. Just what your inner 5 year old boy wants.

click little title screen image to see big-ass title screen image

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Fri May 18, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 am 
Upper Crust

Mindhorn: A washed up actor (Julian Barratt) is forced to reprise his most famous role - a cybernetically enhanced detective from a cheap 1980s British TV show - to help a police investigation. Incredibly funny. Also with Essie Davis, Simon Farnaby, Andrea Riseborough, Russell Tovey, Jessica Barden and Steve Coogan, plus a couple of big name cameoes which I shan't spoil. Written by Barratt and Farnaby, directed by Sean Foley.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:03 am 
Upper Crust

tsukasa13 wrote:
Recently revisited The Land Before Time. Obviously it holds up, but still surprised me that the sadness & grit I recalled from watching this movie in childhood really is there. Society tells me that this became a very bright, goofy, musical franchise for the next 20+ years, but child me never saw a need to continue what is an excellently crafted & completed story, so why should I? Directed and produced by Don Bluth and executive produced by Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, and Frank Marshall. Would love to see this rag tag little team craft a live-action adventure story. Potential, etc.

I loved the first 4 movies or so, but the first one is unmatched.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:57 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

MILLER'S CROSSING - Joel & Ethan Coen - USA - 1995
Return View
One of Mr. Johnson's favorites, and for good reason.

screenshots

gunses, gunses, and more gunses

Last edited by Neil_Leach on Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:15 am 
Upper Crust

Pan's Labyrinth: First re-watch in almost a decade. Retains that magic, undimmed, even if a couple of VFX shots are starting to show their age in HD. Written & directed by Guillermo del Toro.

The Empire Strikes Back: In celebration of the 38th anniversary of its release, which was yesterday. It's a stunning achievement in every department. Beyond counting how many times I've seen it but I get swept away every time.

Seoul Station: Korean zombie thriller written & directed by Yeon Sang-ho (Train to Busan). This one's animated, which allows him to play some visual tricks that the visible details of live action wouldn't allow. Characterisation is a bit thin, but Yeon has a great mechanical mind, zipping two parallel plotlines along, nudging and bumping each other to the next stage of the story with zip. Works like clockwork, although a late twist had me questioning some character motivation. Tense and enjoyable.

Mary and the Witch's Flower: Japanese animated children's adventure from Studio Ponoc, a spin-off of Ghibli veterans. Mary (voiced in English by Ruby Barnhill of The BFG), sent to live in the country with her great aunt (Penelope Wilton) finds a mysterious flower and broomstick which lead her to a magical world. Based on a book (The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart) which I've never heard of before, but almost everything in it was familiar to me, in a way that's both comforting and frustrating. A huge stack of tropes, clichés, and stolen ideas, corralled and scultped into a cute, fun story. I liked it, but it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be. Co-written & directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Seagull Beautiful adaptation of Chekhov's play about unrequited love, promise unfulfilled, and desires unrestrained. All-round good cast, but especially Jon Tenney as the cock-of-the-walk Dr. Dorn, the only character in the film that isn't unhappy. Director Michael Mayer wisely brings out the humor in the characters' melancholy as needed relief to their unrelenting, well, melancholy.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:23 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The Seagull ... Director Michael Mayer wisely brings out the humor in the characters' melancholy as needed relief to their unrelenting, well, melancholy.

sounds decidedly Bergmanesque*, and by the way, have you had your 5 year booster?
i get mine every 2 years. you can't be too safe.

*not only is this a real word, so is toing and froing i just found out (after using it ex tempore** and thinking i was all that). ah me, back to being merely pedestrian. or a pedestrian. or both ... brrrrrr.

**make that very pedestrian. ex tempore is not supported by the context. i meant ex nihilo****, but was too*** busy crossing the street to notice.

***spellcheck thought it was OK to use the wrong too, i.e., to. spellcheck is treacherous.

****but.i.did.NOT.mean.this. so there. and every.

Marvel leave these kids alone!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Viva la muerte "If we return to Viva la muerte, for instance, while acknowledging that it is a powerful film that viscerally calls up the trauma of the Spanish Civil War, one must say that both as a cinematic commentary on the pain of growing up and as a memoir of the war it cannot compare with Victor Erice's thematically similar Spirit of the Beehive (1975), a film, which, quietly devastating rather than explosive, carries a far greater emotional charge because it does not engage in shock."--Michael Richardson, Surrealism And Cinema

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

SOUND OF NOISE - Ola Simonsson, Johannes Stjärne Nilsson - Sweden - 2010
Return View

That statement is accurate. My favorite line : "I hate Haydn."
caps

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS - Sidney Lumet - UK - 1974 IMDb
Lumet makes an entertaining presentation of the raw material he has to work with : lots of money / fabulous cast / tedious Paul Dehn screenplay / embarrassingly retarded Agatha Christie story. Worth seeing for Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot, the idiosyncratic and hugely annoying Belgian busybody. Mr. Finney throws everything he has at his character : a socially inept and distinctly OCD gumshoe with an accent that had me scrambling for the subtitles and wishing I was in Luckenbach or Nottingham, where you can get your butt kicked for talking like that. Character development on all the other actors is ankle deep, but they look magnificent. In general, I find Mr. Lumet's movies to run hot or cold, but I commend his effort here, even if it is a pyrrhic victory of sorts. As a side note, I do Lumet's film superior to Kenneth Branagh's 2017 spin, which makes no sense at all. If you want an all star cast in a movie worthy of its pedigree, go with MURDER BY DEATH with its ruthless Agatha Christie digs.

Everyone have a good weekend.
I'm starting mine early, staying up late, and not cleaning my room for starters.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13733 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1908 909 910 911 912916 Next