Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:50 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1533 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:35 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
THE X-FILES
Season Premiere
meh zzzzz meh.
next.

Yes. However I will watch the entire season, because it’s still X-files.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:24 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

BORDERLINER - Monster Scripted AS - Norway - 2017 - 8 x 45 min episodes / Netflix March 6, 2018
In the course of sourcing a reasonable review, I learned a new word : "Scandi-noir". Since I've been
bruising my lips gassing on about Scandinavian noir in cinema and tele, I'm a smidgen ambivalent.
Labels always do two things: 1) make a concept known to a broader audience 2) make that same
concept known and bashed on about at a significantly lower level of discourse. Whatever, you won't
catch me using it, and if I do, don't tell me because I'll probably be in a bad temper, which I usually
am (no howdy-dos given). Oddly, while avidly watching this series, it did not occur to me to think
of it as "noir". Just reviewing the trailer in the linked article below made the fact plain as the nose
on Donnie-John's dollar bill. No wonder I like it. The principle action in BORDERLINER takes place
in a small Norwegian town hard by the Swedish border. There may also be a double entendre having
to do with the prinicipal's straight-to-them-gay-to-you-behavior. Who knows and so what, although
the narrative element is mined effectively (said the way straight old guy) for dramatic voltage and
contextual complications. The thing that I was principally aware of, beside the fact that I enjoyed
the story line, was the ultra high production values. This thing is so slick its slickness hides in plain
sight. Micro-crisp cinematography / a lovely amalgam of settings / fantastic faces / paced to within
an inch of its life / lushly scored with (some other word beside "ominous") tuneage / pristine
Norwegian home interiors which look like Ikea ads / very complimentary views of the various
motor vehicles which no doubt shelled out major kroner for the product placement : Ducati
motorcycles, VW cars, Opel cars, Scania trucks, various and sundry apparel items. Principal
Tobias Santelmann was new to me, and a most impressive discovery. Co-principal Ellen Dorrit
Petersen
has been around for ages and is vastly talented. It is a credit to Santelmann that he
can go toe to toe with Petersen. The rest of the cast is populated by persons both familiar and
new to me, and there was not a single weak link. The 8 episodes featured the work of 3 directors
whose mutually complimentary styles worked wonderfully : Bård Fjulsrud, Gunnar Vikene, and Rune
Denstad Langlo. Story brain and chief scripter Megan Gallagher shone. Offering assistance on
6 episodes were Bjørn Ekeberg and Melike Leblebicioglu. Production company Monster Scripted AS
was also responsible for 2016's 8 episode NOBEL series, which I also ate with a spoon. Headlining
another brilliant cast in NOBEL, is Aksel Hennie (HEADHUNTERS) in one of those "hah, you can't
tell it's me because I shaved my head, grew a beard, and bulked up all over" roles. Whatever he
looks like, Hennie always rocks. Hennie has been showing up in various American films usually in
minor roles with wretched scripts, which of course I find intolerable. Blah blah blah, am I not
through yet? Loved it. Watch it. If you don't like it, don't bother me. Oh yeah, I was more than
a little bummed that only 8 episodes were available.
IMDb
wiki
inews.co.uk
"I love it when a series moves forward and backward at the same time..."
~ word master Megan Gallagher

kids, don't try this with your English homework

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 am 
Upper Crust

Love: Season 3 - One of my favorite shows on "television" right now. The best season yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:41 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

NOBEL - Monster Scripted AS - Norway - 2016 - 8 episodes
Return View
Even better than BORDERLINER. This series is THE BEST teevee I have seen, period. Principal Aksel Hennie does what he always does, which is to bring the house and burn it down. Co-principal Tuva Novotny has THE BEST female role I have ever seen on teevee, and is up to the task of representing the character. All 8 episodes directed by Per-Olav Sørensen. Screenwriters Mette M. Bølstad and Stephen Uhlander won Goteborg’s TV Drama Script Award. This series lists 30 (yes, thirty) researchers, more involved in this aspect of production than any other, often by a factor of multiples. Drop-dead-gorgeous intro sequence. After chewing through BORDERLINER in 3 days, it only took me 2 days to rewatch NOBEL. It won't be the last time. Don't sleep. Netflix.
NOBEL press kit
series intro 1:39
trailer
NORDIC DRAMA news & trailers channel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:34 am 
Upper Crust

I started Big Little Lies the same afternoon I finished Big Little Lies. Nuanced, specific, agressive performances from the entire cast - both the ones your expecting and the ones that may surprise you. Maybe Earth doesn't need stories about rich white people having drama in their social circle, but this is a empathetic mystery about complicated women facing a myriad of internal & external struggles. Stellar cinematography (and beautiful sea side architecture) makes the watching easy when the themes trend towards darkness. I'm ready for season two.

Just starting Six Feet Under for the first time now - only watched the pilot so far. Any fans here?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:13 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

COLLATERAL - UK | US - 2018 - 4 episodes - Netflix
Writer and director S.J. Clarkson are both British, but everything else about this series feels American. The story is worthy, but the rest is strictly HBO : 1 ) clipped, staccato dialog delivery is apparently intended to convey urgency, but comes out feeling simply rushed 2 ) much of the dialog is structured so that the character who speaks lasts gets in a "zinger" which does not work at all due to egregious repetition 3 ) characters are unnecessarily messy, as if the writer supposed that jamming their lives with conflicts of interest and neurotic entanglements would pass for authenticity - not 4 ) character interactions are engineered with patently pre-fabricated tensions which are not substantiated by the narrative 5 ) pointless sex and nudity ref. HBO 6 ) shoddy profanity, by which I mean that the dialog is sprinkled with occasional f-bombs as opposed to the full gamut spray which one finds in real world people who use profanity at all 7 ) episodes 1, 2, and 3 are very close to being soporific; only in episode 4 does the series convey any real electricity 8 ) Carey Mulligan is criminally wasted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:18 am 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
COLLATERAL - UK | US - 2018 - 4 episodes - Netflix
Writer and director S.J. Clarkson are both British, but everything else about this series feels American. The story is worthy, but the rest is strictly HBO : 1 ) clipped, staccato dialog delivery is apparently intended to convey urgency, but comes out feeling simply rushed 2 ) much of the dialog is structured so that the character who speaks lasts gets in a "zinger" which does not work at all due to egregious repetition 3 ) characters are unnecessarily messy, as if the writer supposed that jamming their lives with conflicts of interest and neurotic entanglements would pass for authenticity - not 4 ) character interactions are engineered with patently pre-fabricated tensions which are not substantiated by the narrative 5 ) pointless sex and nudity ref. HBO 6 ) shoddy profanity, by which I mean that the dialog is sprinkled with occasional f-bombs as opposed to the full gamut spray which one finds in real world people who use profanity at all 7 ) episodes 1, 2, and 3 are very close to being soporific; only in episode 4 does the series convey any real electricity 8 ) Carey Mulligan is criminally wasted.

This just finished airing on the BBC and I liked it a little more than you did, but it's not great. David Hare's always been a polemicist, but so much of this felt rushed and artless - a political exercise without the rigour of refinement to keep it from sprawling. Too many of the plot threads resolve in ways that are entirely unconnected to the main conspiracy thriller story, and that's also the story that spend the least time developing its characters.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:24 am 
Upper Crust

Just watched the entire first seasons of BROCKMIRE and ATLANTA and was way into both of them. Brockmire takes a relatively simple premise and lends it more heart than it should ever deserve. Atlanta is like Twin Peaks in the underground rap world.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

PICKLE RICK!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK series on amazon May 25
maybe maybe

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:01 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK series on amazon May 25
maybe maybe

Question is, do I finally watch that movie first, or do I trust the series to not be too similar?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:29 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

DO NOT under any circumstances watch the series before the movie. If push comes to shove, forget the series and make sure you see the movie. The only relevant question of the series is how small its shadow will be. In my estimation, Weir never again came close to PICNIC, and he's no slouch : THE LAST WAVE / GALLIPOLI / THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I'm a staunch originalist when it comes to Weir. The only US Weir I have any use for is THE MOSQUITO COAST.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:22 pm 
Upper Crust

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU FOR NOT TELLING ME ABOUT 13 REASONS WHY. ITS THE BRICK OF NETFLIX

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
ITS THE BRICK OF NETFLIX

i.refuse.to.believe,
but have been known
to change my mind,
what little there is
of it left. you've
given me no
recourse.
a peep
it is.

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK - episodes 1&2 - amazon 2018
First, the good news. It is a good looking production. For example :

Now, the less than good news. Suppose you take Maugham's 648 page classic OF HUMAN BONDAGE. Give it the Reader's Digest treatment, so now it is 100 pages. Then punch it back up to well over 1000 pages with Harold Robbins in charge of the re-write. You get the idea. For most of the two episodes I had the sound off and was running it split screen while working on something else so my time was not wasted.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:48 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:
DO NOT under any circumstances watch the series before the movie. If push comes to shove, forget the series and make sure you see the movie. The only relevant question of the series is how small its shadow will be. In my estimation, Weir never again came close to PICNIC, and he's no slouch : THE LAST WAVE / GALLIPOLI / THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY. I'm a staunch originalist when it comes to Weir. The only US Weir I have any use for is THE MOSQUITO COAST.

Just noticed you don't mention Truman Show here! Also, Neil, thanks a bunch for posting that link to Lynne Ramsay's 50 faves. I've only seen 16 and I'm slowly but surely becoming obsessed with her work.

circuitsnake wrote:
SHAME ON ALL OF YOU FOR NOT TELLING ME ABOUT 13 REASONS WHY. ITS THE BRICK OF NETFLIX

Damn... I was perfectly content never watching this and now I definitely have to.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1533 posts ]  Go to page Previous 199 100 101 102 103 Next