Rian's Forum

A place to discuss Rian's stuff, and stuff that isn't Rian's stuff. Hello!
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:00 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13734 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1912 913 914 915 916 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm 
Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
Upgrade caught an early screening with Blumhouse. Movie is ok. Good set design and action, but the pacing of the film suffers with too much exposition. Script is a bit meh. Who am I to talk, but overall amazing for low budget. Good performance by Logan Marshall.

Just saw it. It's like Venom with computers with the B movie Tom Hardy. I completely agree on the exposition, especially early on with the wife. Thought the direction really elevated it, though. I'd have NO problem recommending this to someone asking for a good action movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD - Alain Resnais - France | Italy - 1961 - 94 min. - 2.35:1 - 35mm b&w - Return View
So I made another bad career move. Yes, watching movies qualifies as a career in my life. Knowing anything substantive about movies, not so much. So why did I subject myself again to the cinematic equivalent of finding a 6 month old air sickness bag(yep) in the pocket of your raincoat? I had "some time to kill". A word to the wise : this is never a good reason. And yes, it was just as pretentious, precious, grating, French, haute, effete, febrile, and somnulent as I remember. Possibly the most self congratulatory piece of kitsch every committed to film, and well deserving of its place in Medved, Dreyfuss, and Medved's 1978 tome "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time" alongside "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia", "Myra Breckinridge", "The Omen", and the Elvis Presley vehicle "Spinout"(which I actually saw with the eyes in my face on my head in a real movie theatre; thankfully at a time in my life when I was too young to be traumatized). I cordially, cheerfully, and graciously despise this movie and every demented thing it stands for. The plague take it.
10 daffy screenshots + 1 accidental good one
AND HERE IS THE ONLY HONEST, CINEMATICALLY JUSTIFIABLE SHOT IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE :

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Don't Come Knocking When a washed-up movie star, while out on location working on a Western, climbs onto a horse one morning and rides away. he learns that he has more than just the consequences of this action to deal with. Rambling, disjointed, and at times mystifying, even while demythifying. With Sam Shepard, Jessica Lange, Tim Roth, Sarah Polley, and Eva Marie Saint. Screenplay by Shepard. Score by T-Bone Burnett. Directed by Wim Wenders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 pm 
Upper Crust

sorry to bother you unexpected and fresh. I have a few complaints regarding some characterization, but overall it felt like Michel Gondry and Jodorowsky had a black baby.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 am 
Upper Crust

Incredibles 2: An immensely satisfying sequel that somehow feels nothing like the current superhero movie and everything like its 14 year old predecessor.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:06 pm 
Upper Crust

Rocco wrote:
Have you seen Lady Snowblood? Just watched it about a month ago and QT must LOVE that movie. You can practically feel Kill Bill being conceived.

I haven't, but there's also this.

(apologies for the bad gif, but the better-quality one had an unforgivable grammatical error in it)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:21 am 
Upper Crust

Justin wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Have you seen Lady Snowblood? Just watched it about a month ago and QT must LOVE that movie. You can practically feel Kill Bill being conceived.

I haven't, but there's also this.

(apologies for the bad gif, but the better-quality one had an unforgivable grammatical error in it)

The character me play dead woman knifey girll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am 
Upper Crust

I haven't seen Lady Snowblood :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:37 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

circuitsnake wrote:
sorry to bother you unexpected and fresh. I have a few complaints regarding some characterization, but overall it felt like Michel Gondry and Jodorowsky had a black baby.

you win. i quit. i just hope Jodoroasted had to deliver and it hurt like the dickens.

THE SHOUT - Jerzy Skolimowski - UK - 1978
mind.blown.
screenshots

THE BOURNE LEGACY - Tony Gilroy - USA | Japan - 2012 - Return View - Blu-ray
Massively under-rated. Fully deserving of shoulder to shoulder franchise status. It ain't no red headed stepchild. The Gilroy clan wrote, directed, and edited. Look no further for a measure of the film's quality than the choice of casting agent : Ellen Chenoweth.

JASON BOURNE - Paul Greengrass - USA | China - 2016
The hissing and booing for this one are deserved. The main culprit : the Paul Greengrass, Christopher Rouse script. Alicia Vikander seems to be giving a reprise of her role in EX MACHINA. I have no reason to doubt her talents. Her character is drawn with sidewalk crayons and directed with a broom handle.

ATTACK THE BLOCK - Joe Cornish - UK | France - 2011 - Return View
Vastly more entertaining than JASON BOURNE. This time I watched with subtitles so I wouldn't hurt myself trying to suss out the dialog. Not sophisticated, but who needs sophisticated scifi? Go watch ANNIHILATION, loser face. Booooring.
screenshots

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:53 pm 
Upper Crust

Neil_Leach wrote:

ATTACK THE BLOCK - Joe Cornish - UK | France - 2011 - Return View
Vastly more entertaining than JASON BOURNE. This time I watched with subtitles so I wouldn't hurt myself trying to suss out the dialog. Not sophisticated, but who needs sophisticated scifi? Go watch ANNIHILATION, loser face. Booooring.
screenshots

People who like Attack the Block are required to watch Grabbers!

Thoroughbreds: It’s great watching two future Oscar winners trade lines, even if the film doesn’t quite rise to the level of their (and The rest of the cast - especially Yelchin’s) acting. Still, the themes are compelling, the score is always interesting (even when it’s kind of annoying), and the tone is perfect. I had big problems with what felt like a rushed and darkly twee ending, but I guarantee this grows on me if I ever decide to watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 pm 
Cream on the Upper Crust

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy A well-meaning, although ultimately less-than-satisfying attempt to surpass the BBC's adaptation at bringing Douglas Adams's sardonic sci-fi satire to cinematic life. Sam Rockwell gives a lively performance as Zaphod Beeblebrox and Bill Nighy walks away with the prize as Slartibartfast, but Martin Freeman operates under the handicap of having to go up against Adam's own inspiration of Dent Arthur Dent, the Englishman's Englishman Simon Jones. Also with Moss Def, John Malkovich, and Zooey Deschanel. Directed by Garth Jennings.

Fellini Satyricon Fellini's "ambitious and audacious" (Roger Ebert) adaptation of the novel by Petronius. The fact that the text exists only in fragments and that Fellini doesn't even try to fill in the missing pieces, gives me one of the most satisfying aspects of the film, that the past exists only in fragments. Ancient Rome as you may never have imagined it. With Martin Potter and Hiram Keller.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:28 pm 
Upper Crust

maxfrost wrote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy A well-meaning, although ultimately less-than-satisfying attempt to surpass the BBC's adaptation at bringing Douglas Adams's sardonic sci-fi satire to cinematic life. Sam Rockwell gives a lively performance as Zaphod Beeblebrox and Bill Nighy walks away with the prize as Slartibartfast, but Martin Freeman operates under the handicap of having to go up against Adam's own inspiration of Dent Arthur Dent, the Englishman's Englishman Simon Jones. Also with Moss Def, John Malkovich, and Zooey Deschanel. Directed by Garth Jennings.

Fun fact: A friend was fairly close to production (long story) and sent me some of the concept art shortly before release.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm 
Upper Crust

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

AFTERIMAGE - Andrzej Wajda - Poland - 2016 - 98 min. - 2.35:1 - Digital Intermediate 4K Panavision
Biopic of WWI survivor, painter, teacher, social iconoclast and visual theorist Wladyslaw Strzemenski. AFTERIMAGE was released 3 months after the director's death. Criterion has 3 of his films if that matters to you. He is a heavyweight by any standard. Oddly the film critic at culture.pl was not most pleased with the movie; putzing about the edges, but never outright calling it hagiography. That critic is wrong, I believe because said critic has an agenda other than artistic merit. Wajda is clearly sympathetic to his subject, but a movie is just a movie for cry-yi. If you want a definitive biography, find the book and read it. This movie does everything I need a movie to do. Veteran actor Boguslaw Linda, who I have seen at least once before, is well able to encompass a challenging opportunity. For my eye, the look of the film is perfect. Colors, camera presence, pans, perspectives, all perfect. Lighting is perfect plus. Not to be ornery, but as a friend of mine would say "If they don't like this, they don't know what's good."

click image for screenshot album

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 am 
Cream on the Upper Crust

Chinese Coffee Essentially, a two-character story, a novelist and a photographer, both middle-age bohemians living in Greenwich Village during the 80s, based on a by-the-numbers play written by Ira Lewis. The only point of the conflict in the story is that it gives Al Pacino (who created the role of the novelist on stage) and Jerry Orbach something to do. If you suddenly find yourself alone, during a dark and stormy night, and you need an Al Pacino fix. Directed by Pacino.

Johnny Mnemonic Clunky dialogue, weak acting, passe graphics, mediocre direction, and, yet, I get a kick out of the film, if only for the technological dystopia setting (in 2021, so we have something to look forward to in Trump's second term), the eclectic casting (Keanu Reeves, Takeshi Kitano, Ice-T, Dolph Lundgren, Udo Kier), and a freaky dolphin name Jones. Directed by Robert Longo.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 13734 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1912 913 914 915 916 Next